Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24-03-2020, 12:39 PM
Spartan1 (Philip)

Skywatcher EQ5 mount polar eyepiece

I bought a used Skywatcher 150mm refractor on this mount and have a question on the polar scope/eyepiece.

Was the polar scope an optional item, as mine seems to be missing an eyepiece or insert as per the photos.

I have not been able to find an insert for this, or is it just an eyepiece that is missing?
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Polar 2.jpg)
61.5 KB37 views
Click for full-size image (Polar.jpg)
67.2 KB42 views
Old 24-03-2020, 05:26 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Philip
I don’t have an EQ5 Mount , only HEQ5 and EQ6-R mounts so I’m familiar with their polar scopes
Seems like your polar scope was possibly removed and replaced with a focus eye piece adapter ( hence the 3 thumbscrews )
Attached is a photo of a current EQ5 polar scope available from Skywatcher Australia and their nominated suppliers ( one being Bintel )
Hope this helps and others can confirm my assumption
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (88BE1CDC-493F-432F-8BD1-4F9ACD2B37B4.jpg)
20.7 KB23 views
Old 24-03-2020, 06:14 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Philip
I just thought of something, maybe the previous owner used a camera or webcam connected to a laptop to accurately polar align the mount ?? Only a hunch ??
Hope others can provide assistance or a comment
Old 24-03-2020, 08:47 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Hi Philip,

to IIS!

I've taken one of your pics to illustrate something.

I've circled the part of your mount that winds out and the polar scope noted in Martin's first post is wound into its place. The polar scope makes use of a wee 12mm or 15mm scope. There is an engraved reticle inside it and the eyepiece focuses the reticle.

I find the polar scope close to useless from my light polluted skies visually. It is possible to put a camera at the eyepiece to help with the alignment procedure - afocal.

There are other ways of doing a polar alignment without a polar scope on an EQ5 mount like yours. There's one particular IIS thread I want to give you a link to that I struggling to find. As soon as I find it I'll post it.

Alex.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Polar.jpg)
86.1 KB34 views
Old 28-03-2020, 12:03 PM
ChrisV (Chris)

Yep, looks like they have put in an adaptor for a camera. Here's mine with the polar scope unscrewed and partly pulled out
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_20200328_115352.jpg)
189.6 KB24 views
Old 28-03-2020, 10:39 PM
Spartan1 (Philip)

Unfortunately no. The previous owner bought it nw and it came like this. He had not made any changes. Philip
Old 28-03-2020, 10:45 PM
Spartan1 (Philip)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mental4astro View Post
Hi Philip,

to IIS!

I've taken one of your pics to illustrate something.

I've circled the part of your mount that winds out and the polar scope noted in Martin's first post is wound into its place. The polar scope makes use of a wee 12mm or 15mm scope. There is an engraved reticle inside it and the eyepiece focuses the reticle.

I find the polar scope close to useless from my light polluted skies visually. It is possible to put a camera at the eyepiece to help with the alignment procedure - afocal.

There are other ways of doing a polar alignment without a polar scope on an EQ5 mount like yours. There's one particular IIS thread I want to give you a link to that I struggling to find. As soon as I find it I'll post it.

Alex.

Thanks Alex,

Yes, I think it is an older polar scope option that was not taken up by the original buyer. The newer polar scope on offer apparently replaces the whole of the older unit so it means unscrewing the older unit completely and screwing in the new one. I am told SW changed their polar scope design and so those units that had already been produced and remained in stock went out the door with the older unit in place.
Old 28-03-2020, 10:49 PM
Spartan1 (Philip)

Thanks Martin