Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space

Old 24-09-2018, 03:42 PM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

NGC 300 - first baby steps into Galaxy imaging

Like the title suggests, here is my first attempt at a galaxy.

Hard to believe that it's taken almost a year to get my RC8 going correctly, but it now has a motorized Moonlite focuser, the correct spacers for the camera, a second counterweight on the dovetail for balance, the dew heater installed on the secondary and most importantly it's finally collimated!

So after all that - the planets aligned with no family duties, my mate's property in the country being available, on a clear night, without too much moon etc. to give this thing a proper hit out.

This is just 2.5 hrs of LUM (10min subs) and an hour of each RG&B (5min subs) from the dark site, with a further 4 hrs of Ha added from home.

Needs another night's data to clear up the noise, smooth it out and get some detail going - as I've probably pushed what little data I have pretty hard

Would welcome any suggestions for tutorials etc. as my LRGB processing need work!

Bigger one is HERE - don't look to closely! lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (HaLRGB_NGC300_IIS.jpg)
154.3 KB135 views
Old 24-09-2018, 03:53 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

A great start, Andy, but as you suggest it looks like more data is needed I can't help with a workflow unless you become a cult member

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 24-09-2018, 03:56 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Good details. Looks a little purple in the center. I reckon that's meant to be yellowish instead. (green also works)
Old 24-09-2018, 05:34 PM
alpal

Hi Andy,
that's 10 times better than I ever did.
You're going well.

cheers
Allan
Old 24-09-2018, 06:12 PM
silv (Annette)

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Good details. Looks a little purple in the center. I reckon that's meant to be yellowish instead. (green also works)
On Astrobin, Andy uploaded the 1st version, too, which is yellow in the center. (right hand column where it says "Revisions"). But that 1st processing has a lot less spiral arms detail.
Old 25-09-2018, 09:25 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Congrats on your first galaxy shot Andy

Overall not bad mate, some neatening up required, bit less magenta in the core region and the stars look a little blobby and flarey with perhaps some miss registration but I am sure all this will improve in due course.

Welcome to real imaging

Mike
Old 25-09-2018, 09:44 AM
Andy01 (Andy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
A great start, Andy, but as you suggest it looks like more data is needed I can't help with a workflow unless you become a cult member

Cheers,
Rick.
LOL, cheers Rick - not planning to cross over to the dark side anytime soon, I'm to used to using PS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Thanks Marc, yes I see what you mean about the colour - makes cosmic sense too as it's likely that older yellow stars are located in the middle of the galaxy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpal View Post
Hi Andy,
that's 10 times better than I ever did.
You're going well.

cheers
Allan
Nice of you to say so Allan, cheers mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv View Post
On Astrobin, Andy uploaded the 1st version, too, which is yellow in the center. (right hand column where it says "Revisions"). But that 1st processing has a lot less spiral arms detail.
Thanks Silv, yes that first process was pretty quick & dirty - I spent much more time on round two. Still learning LRGB processing

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Congrats on your first galaxy shot Andy

Overall not bad mate, some neatening up required, bit less magenta in the core region and the stars look a little blobby and flarey with perhaps some miss registration but I am sure all this will improve in due course.

Welcome to real imaging

Mike
Cheers Mike, agreed about the colour and in my next process I'll use Registar for better and more accurate registration than the Nebulosity workaround I used here.

Believe it or not, I'm still working on fine tuning the best methods for basic stretching of the stacked L, R, G & B images. If I can get that sorted, I reckon that's half the job done!

Thanks for all you feedback folks!
Old 25-09-2018, 02:22 PM
Placidus (Mike and Trish)
Narrowing the band

That's an amazingly good first galaxy Andy.

I had a go on a copy trying to get the colour right (yellow centre, blue dots in the spiral arms, red for the HII regions), but it didn't want to. That suggests that the problem crept in earlier in processing, and it isn't just a final tweak.

Well done!

Mike
Old 25-09-2018, 06:52 PM
willik (Willik)

HI Andy
Very nice image of the NGC300 not a easy image to take the spiral arms are hard to get detail out but still it is a very nice image
Martin
Old 26-09-2018, 05:43 AM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

Ha. You picked a good first target there Andy; NGC 300 is pretty dim, certainly not an easy one. Solid effort... I can't even imagine what my first galaxy image would have been like had I tried NGC 300.

I notice there's some banding on the top of the frame... if you had PixInsight I'd suggest trying the canon banding removal script... not sure what you can do about it with PS.
Old 26-09-2018, 06:45 AM
Andy01 (Andy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placidus View Post
That's an amazingly good first galaxy Andy.

I had a go on a copy trying to get the colour right (yellow centre, blue dots in the spiral arms, red for the HII regions), but it didn't want to. That suggests that the problem crept in earlier in processing, and it isn't just a final tweak.

Well done!

Mike
Cheers Mike - I suspect the core colour problem lies with my inexperience with basic stretching of the RG&B - not too sure exactly what I'm aiming for there, but I'm learning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by willik View Post
HI Andy
Very nice image of the NGC300 not a easy image to take the spiral arms are hard to get detail out but still it is a very nice image
Martin
Thanks Martin - it's a very beautiful target - hopefully next time round I can do it justice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by codemonkey View Post
Ha. You picked a good first target there Andy; NGC 300 is pretty dim, certainly not an easy one. Solid effort... I can't even imagine what my first galaxy image would have been like had I tried NGC 300.

I notice there's some banding on the top of the frame... if you had PixInsight I'd suggest trying the canon banding removal script... not sure what you can do about it with PS.
Cheers Lee - Dim but pretty - worth persevering with I reckon - will see how I go next time out to the dark site. That banding is wierd though, it's in all the subs - might have to redo the flats & darks to see if it's something that has crept in there.
Old 26-09-2018, 06:06 PM
gregbradley

Nice job Andy. A great first galaxy image.

Greg.
Old 28-09-2018, 07:45 AM
Ross G

A great looking first time galaxy photo Andy.

Looking forward to more.

Good luck.
Ross.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:53 PM
Andy01 (Andy)

cheers Greg & Ross, thanks again too Mike.

I've attempted to re-align the stars in this newly re-processed version.

Cheers

Andy