Old 11-06-2018, 10:49 PM
Orionskies (Julian)

Dobsonian Control

I was wondering if there are any hints or tips out here to making a Dobsonian handle smoother? This would be especially more helpful when viewing at higher magnitudes.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers Julian
Old 12-06-2018, 02:10 AM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

There are a couple of tips in the Projects section
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/projects.html
Old 12-06-2018, 05:17 PM
Orionskies (Julian)

Thanks Allan I'll give it a go. 👍
Old 15-06-2018, 04:32 AM
AEAJR (Ed)

It would help if we knew which Dob you have. There are different AZ bearings and different Alt tension controls.

One of the tips I can offer has to do with balance.

By design the tube pivots around a balance point. But the balance changes as we use different eyepieces, perhaps add a Telrad or other finder device.

Big 2" eyepieces can throw of the balance and the introduction of a barlow, especially a 2" barlow can throw off the balance.

As the scope becomes more "nose heavy" it tends to drop making it harder to track your targets. If you have a tension adjustment knob on your Dob you can tighten this up, but that may make the alt axis seem stiff.

One solution is having variable weights that can help you balance the scope based on what is on the nose and what eyepieces you use.

I am in the USA so I will reference USA sources but I am sure you can find local equivalent.

These are small, low cost craft magnets that weigh about 1.75 ounces each or about 3.5 ounces per pair. I have 7 pair, each pair, 21 ounces, wrapped in duct tape so as not to scratch the tube. They sit over the pivot point on my scope.
https://www.harborfreight.com/2-piec...cks-98406.html

If I add a big 2" eyepiece, I may slide 4 pair from the pivot to the mirror area to help balance the scope. If I add my 2" barlow I may slide down the other 3 pair.

The benefit is that I don't have to clamp down hard on the Alt friction bearing so that the scope remains balanced and I can track more smoothly.

Naturally you can have as many of these magnets as you like. If you add more finders to the end of the scope or other accessories, these can help keep things balanced.

My main observing area is very light polluted both in the sky and on the ground. I took the dew shield from an SCT and placed it on the end of my Dob to help keep stray light out of the scope. This adds weight out in front of the tube which, again, causes balance issues. So the magnets help with this too.

Hope you find this helpful.

Ed
Old 24-06-2018, 07:40 PM
Orionskies (Julian)

Thanks for all that advice Ed, yes it definitely depends on what type of Dobsonian you have .The counterweights are something I never considered, so thanks I appreciate the new way to tackle this problem. Especially considering I was considering buying a 2" eyepiece later on in the year.

I have a Saxon Dobsonian 8" and over the weekend I experimented a little and added to the tips from the ICE website.

1. Used 6 furniture sliders on the base.
2. I was lucky enough to have a bush to add to the existing one, needed due to the increase in height from the furniture sliders.
3. I added thread tape to the bolt as there seem to be a bit of play with the bush. The tape eliminated this.
4. For altitude I inserted two 1/2 inch washers on each handle between the scope and the mount. This was tricky but doable using a ruler and magnet. Although this maybe unrealistic for those who need to take the scope off the mount frequently.

I've only just given it a quick go tonight and it seems to have made a noticeable difference and definitely worth the effort. 👍

Cheers Julian