Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 29-07-2012, 07:20 AM
hotspur (Chris)

Using Canon Picture Style Editor-question on saving file.

Using a few of the Canon editing programs this morning,the results in shop look better than my poor attempts in CS5.However when in PSE,and work is completed,how does one save that file? I get a 'Pf2' label to save as,and that's all,when saved in document its a tiny little file.I'd like to try and apply the changes I see that I have made PSE and still keep the original RAW.

These DDP and other canon programs I'd like to use more,and just use CS5 for a crop and basic finishing stuff.

Any help most appreciated.thanks
Old 29-07-2012, 10:33 AM
leon

Chris do you use Zoombrowser, that came with the Canon Camera, it is very good actually.

All my images are in this program, after doing any crops, or trims, i sometimes take them to PS2, for resizing or just a touch up, and then save them back in the original folder.

There is not much else required unless doing Star images, but that is MHO only, I hardly use PS at all really.

Leon
Old 29-07-2012, 12:28 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Chris,

I haven't used the Picture Style Editor, but, I suspect that if you wish to use the picture style, it would need to be applied through Digital Photo Professional.

So, you just need to find out how to import the style into DPP.

I am heading to work so can't look it up right now.

H
Old 29-07-2012, 03:10 PM
hotspur (Chris)

Ah,no dramas H,I'll play around with it-I did think it might be as you suggested.But I want to give some serious time from now on using canon software-DDP etc.I do remember you saying that you you use it for a vast deal of your work,also heard that mentioned by other good photographers,and just use CS5 for some minor finishing,

However,I feel I'll need to learn to use masking and use a fair bit in CS5-as birds in flight against a blue sky etc,might need different approach to your landscape/portrait images,much of my bird shots need a fair bit of cropping.

Thanks Leon,had a look at your suggestion,I'll be using that tool a bit too,had a quick play,noticed I could not get RAW into it though.

I think there is a panorama stiching tool in these canon programs too.
Old 29-07-2012, 04:47 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Yep, DPP shows you the exact image as you would see on the back of the LCD at the time of capture. Photoshop/Lightroom/other converters are approximations.

ZoomBrowser is just an image browser, it doesn't do any editing.

H
Old 29-07-2012, 09:02 PM
leon

By editing H I presume you mean, Colour and Brightness, RGB Adjustment, Levels, Sharpen, Unsharp Mask, Auto Adjust, Saturation, Contrast, Red eye, and Tone Curve Adjustment, Trim or Crop

Well my ZoomBrowser dose do this and more.

Leon
Old 29-07-2012, 09:05 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Oops. I'm using my Mac and I have ImageBrowser on there. When I load an image and go to edit it, all the options are greyed out.

Perhaps it's different in ZoomBrowser under Windows. I'll have a look the next time I'm home in front of my PC.

Does ZoomBrowser fire up a DPP edit window or does it have its own editing mechanism?

H
Old 29-07-2012, 09:08 PM
leon

No It has its own, but one can import from DDP and Photo Shop, and back again to PS, and so on.

Leon