Old 11-09-2010, 07:35 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Observation notes 6th, 9th and 10th Sept.

Dear all,

Here are some notes from some recent observing.

Thanks for looking.

Telescope 400mm f4.9 tri-dob reflector
15X70 binoculars
Eyepieces 28mm UWAN, 17,13,9 mm Naglers, Paracorr
Navigation: Night Sky Observer’s Guide (NSOG)

6/9/10

Seeing 2/5
Transparency 5/7 High Haze and patchy cloud

nu Scorpii

175X Despite poor seeing, as the star was immediately above a tree, each pair of this double double was resolvable. The brighter pair are considerably closer and only just resolvable at this magnification.

NGC 6093/Messier 80 GC in Scorpius
Dia. 8.9’ V Mag 7.3 Class II

175X Quite a bright GC, highly concentrated with distinct core and many faint resolvable stars. The brightness drops rapidly from the core to a bright halo. There is a second sudden decrease in brightness to the outer halo.

NGC 6144 GC in Scorpius
Dia. 9.3’ V Mag 9.0 Class XI

175x Fairly faint against background of stars, but perhaps this reflects patchy transparency. A very even spread of brightness across the irregular halo and no central concentration. A few stars can be resolved.

Then, full cloud cover…

9/9/2010

Seeing 2/5
Transparency poor 4/7, but improving

NGC 121 GC in Tucana
Dia. 1.5’

175X Quite distinct but very small knot of haze, appears quite concentrated. Very close to two foreground stars. No cluster stars resolvable. Quite a bright distinct core.

Jupiter

175X Quite stunning in spite of poor transparency, two moons close to the West (Europa closest then Io), two more distant to the east (Ganymede Closest then Callisto). NEB is very clear and has a marked white spot about 1/3 of the way from the western limb. The NEB also has a thin pale strip dividing it near the eastern limb. The equator of the spot is on the northern edge of the NEB. There is also a dark notch on one of the thin northern temperate bands 1/3 of the way from the eastern limb. No SEB, but an impression of slight darkening at the equator and then a brighter band where the SEB would normally be. The GRS is visible near the eastern limb. Several thin bands are visible in both temperate zones. Many swirls and patches are discernible in the equatorial region.

NGC 7293 PN in Aquarius, “the Helix Nebula”
Dia 16’ V Mag 7.3 Type 4+3

175X The nebula takes up most of the FOV, with a visible central star and a number of other stars are scattered throughout. There is a broad ring elongated roughly E-W the edges of which are thicker and brighter on the northern and southern sides than on the eastern and western. The centre is significantly darker than the outer band. OIII filter seems to reduce the contrast between the centre and the ring. The nebula seems to have little sparky bits with the filter.

10/9/2010

Seeing Good 1/5
Transparency Good 6/7

NGC 6779/Messier 56 GC in Lyra
Dia. 7.1’ V Mag. 8.3 Class X

175x This is a distinct and bright GC with little central concentration and no distinct core. It stands out well against many background stars. There are many resolvable stars, but no distinctive asterisms. There are a few sprays of stars/haze extending from the halo. A pair to the NE and NW look a bit like legs. Shorter sprays to the SE and SW look less distinctly forked.

Barnard 142 + 143 Dark Nebulae in Aquila
40’/60X40

15X Visible in the finderscope, I found these best observed with 15X70 binoculars. A big dark patch against the sky to the NW of gamma Aquilae, the thick northern end has two projections pointing towards the pair of stars to the SW of gamma Aquilae. Another dark projection points towards gamma Aquilae.

NGC 6804 PN in Aquila
Dia 66” V Mag. 12.0 Type 4+2

245x This is quite an unusual PN, elongated E-W and wedge shaped with the point towards the east. The western end is quite wide. There is a star at the eastern end which is actually the central star according to NSOG. There is fainter star in the middle of the PN. The wedge appears wider with averted vision. NSOG refers to this PN as having a cometary disc. OIII filter shows no internal structure, but the wedge looks even wider, approaching an equilateral triangle.

NGC 6751 PN in Aquila
Dia. 20” V Mag. 11.9 Type 3

250x Small disc with obvious central star. At first glance, it appears devoid of structure, but with my eye in the right spot, a wide bright ring surrounding a narrow dark inner space around the central star becomes apparent. OIII filter does not reveal additional detail. 500x shows the ring structure more clearly.

NGC 6772 PN in Aquila
Dia. 62” V Mag. 12.7 Type 3b+2

250x Quite a faint but not small PN, no sign of central star, dark and bright patches in the middle of the nebula. It is quite irregular, like an oval shaped lumpy bag and the edges of it are quite hard to pin down. OIII filter shows the nebula has quite mottled.

NGC 6760 GC in Aquila
Dia. 6.6’ V Mag. 9.1 Class IX

250x No stars are resolvable in the GC, but there are some on the edges. As this is a busy patch of sky, it’s had to know if they belong to the GC. Some brightening towards the centre, but not strongly concentrated. Fairly regular shape.

NGC 6749 GC in Aquila
Dia. 6.3 V Mag. 12.4

250x A barely perceptible mist against the background stars.

NGC 2573 GX in Octans
2.0’x.08’ V Mag 13.5 Type SAB(s)cd

175x A very faint elliptical haze with no structure apparent. Faint stellar core.

Jupiter

250x In fine form tonight. All four moons trailing to the east, in order Io, Europa, Ganymede and Callisto. Clouds bands well delineated. A thin pale gash in the NEB starts from the east and cuts south as it heads west for about a quarter of the width of the planet. Delicate tracings of northern temperate bands, the southern ones obvious but not as pronounced

NGC 339 OC in Tucana
Dia. 2.2’

175x Faint slightly oval mist oriented N-S. Appears smooth with no resolved stars. Brighter in the centre, but smooth gradient of brightness to the edges.

Lindsay 8/Kron 3 OC in Tucana

175x A pleasing little knot of luminance about the same size as NGC 121, but about half as bright. It lies between the last 2 of a line of four stars running NNW to SSE. No resolvable stars. Elongated N-S.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:18 PM
pgc hunter

How the hell do you manage all this sessions with this pooey weather??!! You're a real warrior mate!

M80 is nice, if only it was much closer I see maybe 2 dozen v. faint stars in its outer reaches with the 12", but this is based on only 1 observation for obvious reasons.

I've observed 6751 aswell, heres my notes. Seems like yours and my impressions correlate pretty well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sab obs May 23 2010
NGC 6751
PNe, Sagittarius, RA 19 05 56, Dec -5 59 32, Size = 21x21" , Mag V = 11.5

Located along a chain of 4 mag 12-14 stars, of which the planetary's 14th mag central star makes up one. Circular at 267x, with the central star easily seen despite being mag 14.5. Increasing magnification to 381x and OIII filter offered only modest improvement, however I suspected slight E-W elongation, andthe very central regions of the neb seemed to have lower sfc brightness than the surrounding areas. At 762x - Slight, very slight E-W elongation, somewhat uneven sfc brightness and the central region immediately in the vicinity of the central star appeared obviously darker than the remainder of the cloud.
-------------------------------------
Old 12-09-2010, 07:22 AM
orestis

Great stuff paddy,

Good to see your getting some good weather.

regards orestis

ps-i was observing jupiter last night with my 5''.It does seem to be brighter where the seb should be.i wonder if it will come back by the end of the year.pretty cool to see jupiter with only one band.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:28 AM
kustard (Simon)
Great Sage == Heaven

Always a pleasure reading your notes Patrick.
Old 13-09-2010, 10:17 AM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Thanks for the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgc hunter View Post
How the hell do you manage all this sessions with this pooey weather??!! You're a real warrior mate!

M80 is nice, if only it was much closer I see maybe 2 dozen v. faint stars in its outer reaches with the 12", but this is based on only 1 observation for obvious reasons.

I've observed 6751 aswell, heres my notes. Seems like yours and my impressions correlate pretty well

-------------------------------------
Sab, I think its a combination of utter desperation and living north of the divide. A lot of the former as it only takes the slightest patch of clear sky and I'll be out there. Does sound like we've been seeing the same thing with 6751. I notice that as I get further into observing, the planetaries become increasingly fascinating. I think it's partly due to the maturing of my observing skills. And partly due to reading your amazing observations of them and trying to see what I can pick out. I think it makes a big difference being able to read other people's observing notes.
Old 14-09-2010, 08:19 PM
pgc hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
Thanks for the replies.

Sab, I think its a combination of utter desperation and living north of the divide. A lot of the former as it only takes the slightest patch of clear sky and I'll be out there.
Seems like alot of the rubbish coming down in recent weeks was from the north Is your scope set up in the shed ready to go or do you bring it out of the house with some assembly required?

Quote:
Does sound like we've been seeing the same thing with 6751. I notice that as I get further into observing, the planetaries become increasingly fascinating. I think it's partly due to the maturing of my observing skills. And partly due to reading your amazing observations of them and trying to see what I can pick out. I think it makes a big difference being able to read other people's observing notes.
Thanks! I've always been into planetaries, and looking up others observing notes is useful for finding out what to look for.

cheers
Old 14-09-2010, 10:06 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

I have it on a flat trolley. Takes about 3 minutes to wheel out and 3 minutes to collimate. Cooling it is the rate limiting step, but half an hour with the fan going and its passable.

BTW, are we going to see your SDM at Snake Valley in November, perchance?
Old 15-09-2010, 10:20 PM
pgc hunter

Quote:
I have it on a flat trolley. Takes about 3 minutes to wheel out and 3 minutes to collimate. Cooling it is the rate limiting step, but half an hour with the fan going and its passable.
Pretty much a as good as it gets setup there. No wonder you've been out! With mine, I have to drag it outta my bedroom, do the big lift over the back deck thru obstacles like dogs, tables chairs n crap, not to mention stairs, then it comes time to drag everything outta the house one by one.

Repeat for pack up.

Quote:
BTW, are we going to see your SDM at Snake Valley in November, perchance?
No.
Old 15-09-2010, 10:30 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

That's a fair run of obstacles to add to clouds. Sorry to hear that you won't be at snake Valley. Another time perhaps.
Old 15-09-2010, 11:48 PM
pgc hunter

Quote:
That's a fair run of obstacles to add to clouds.
It's not ideal at all. If I was able to store it in a decent shed or something it would work, but my backyard is about as poor a location as one could fathom for astronomy. Stairs, dogs n other crud aside, my observing area consists of a 4x6m concrete slab, with my house towering over half of the western and southern sky and trees over the eastern sky. The water heater and the central heating outlet are also smack bang in my observing area. Pathetic, and I don't know where there would be a decent dark site I can go to.

Quote:
Sorry to hear that you won't be at snake Valley. Another time perhaps.
don't know....

Last edited by pgc hunter; 16-09-2010 at 06:16 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:19 AM
glenc (Glen)
star-hopper

I looked for the GC NGC 6749 this morning with a 16" but did not see it.