Old 16-05-2019, 09:03 AM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

iOptron TriPier?

Hi team,

Looking for advice here.

Got a grand to splash on a decent tripod/Pier for my Tak NJP.
Wifey has ruled out a permanent pier by the pool so I'm looking to have a mobile pier, that I can also take to star parties etc.

I'm currently using a serviceable, solid but ugly used Celestron C11 tripod.

My OTA & Camera weigh 16 kgs (10" f4 CF Newt & QSIwsg8) and the NJP head & weights are another 40 or so kgs.

The TriPier is rated for 100kgs, and it's more expensive big brother 360 is rated to 165kgs.

Both will need an adapter for the NJP.

Do you guys think I need the big one or is the regular one going to be stable enough?

The Tri piers come in red/black or white/black so I'm also tempted to strip down the NJP and powdercoat both the mount & the OTA tube rings to match (sacrilege I know, but the Tak baby green is icky! )
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_7644_iis.jpg)
202.1 KB72 views
Old 16-05-2019, 09:59 AM
Wavytone

A Berlebach Planet would be better than what you have. And they make carbon-fibre-reinforced ones (even stiffer) but you’d need to increase your budget somewhat.
Old 16-05-2019, 10:03 AM
AstroApprentice (Jason)

Or an Avalon T-Pod 130. I have the T-Pod 90 and it is an awesome tripod - loads of positive discussion on CN about T-Pod 130.
BTW, I noticed an adapter plate for NJP on ebay the other day:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Takahashi-L...wAAOSwOIxc2GOy
Old 16-05-2019, 10:17 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

+1 for Berlebach Planet. They make an even sturdier one too - can't recall the name.

Do NOT buy locally - import it from Teleskop Express or Berlebach direct and save a LOT.
Old 16-05-2019, 10:47 AM
Andy01 (Andy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
A Berlebach Planet would be better than what you have. And they make carbon-fibre-reinforced ones (even stiffer) but you’d need to increase your budget somewhat.
That's a nice looking tripod! Pricey though - I'd prefer a portable pier style, as it's better for my Newt to stay clear of tripod legs when nearing the meridian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroApprentice View Post
Or an Avalon T-Pod 130. I have the T-Pod 90 and it is an awesome tripod - loads of positive discussion on CN about T-Pod 130.
BTW, I noticed an adapter plate for NJP on ebay the other day:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Takahashi-L...wAAOSwOIxc2GOy
Yep, looks great - but a tad over budget and still no pier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
+1 for Berlebach Planet. They make an even sturdier one too - can't recall the name.

Do NOT buy locally - import it from Teleskop Express or Berlebach direct and save a LOT.
Thanks Lewis - I was half expecting you to lecture me about the proposed NJP colour change
Old 16-05-2019, 11:15 AM
AstroApprentice (Jason)

The WO tri-pier will be released soon, but I'm not sure it will handle your setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (WO tri-pier.jpg)
23.5 KB34 views
Old 16-05-2019, 11:24 AM
AstroApprentice (Jason)

WO tri-pier

According to this page:
https://www.hobym.net/wo-tri-pier
WO tri-pier will handle up to 50 kg, so not enough for your setup.
Old 16-05-2019, 11:39 AM
AstroApprentice (Jason)

EQ-8 tripod?

Have you considered an EQ-8 tripod?
http://www.sirius-optics.com.au/moun...er-tripod.html

There's also the Rainbow Astro OWL-160N with 150 kg capacity, but unfortunately it has a price tag to match the high capacity!
http://www.rainbowastro.com/new/them...ntent/acce.php
It says it accepts Tak EM-400 mounts.
Local price is extreme at over $2k: https://www.siderealtrading.com.au/p...tripods/piers/
Old 16-05-2019, 01:23 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

The ioptron tripods look great...but what were they thinking with the Taka adapter? All those lovely big diameter/moments of inertia ruined by using three lame 50mm risers???? (the underlying engineering principles are easy if you simply think "how would this go if it was made from play-doh?" )

Whatever you pick, I'd suggest make sure it can take the NJP base with a flush fitting that matches the pier/tripod diameter.
Old 16-05-2019, 03:05 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

I saw the iOptron rat cage for the NJP and slapped my head in a WTF moment.
Old 20-05-2019, 06:33 PM
DiscoDuck (Paul)
Raider Nation

I have a tri-pier for my Mach1 when I'm out and about (pier at home). I'm happy with it but have a possibly irrelevant concern with its design ...

The first time I set it up at a remote site, I noticed that my whole setup was able to move backwards and forwards. Eventually we traced it to the tri-pier itself. There's 3 screws that hold the top of the tripier (the surface that the Mach1 adapter bolts to) to the pier. They had come loose in transit. No big deal to retighten them but
- one of the screws is a bit dodgy and will not budge (but thankfully seems to be in tight)
- they are very small screws. It concerns me slightly that they are that small and are stopping potentially 80kg or so of gear from tilting (if my Mach1 were loaded at max capacity).

As I said, may be fine, and I've noticed no issues since tightening them. But just an observation and heads up fyi. (I couldn't find anyone else with the same problem from a quick Google)
Old 21-05-2019, 04:34 PM
Andy01 (Andy)

Thanks Paul, Pete, Lewis & Jason- I’ll have a good look at the NJP adapter & check out the EQ8 pier as well 😊
Old 23-05-2019, 03:38 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Andy
I now have an EQ8 Pier. That thing is solid. Weight wise it is just at the limit for portability. Not too bad to carry from the back room out into the garden but would not want to try carrying across the field as SV for example.
It is relatively easy to tweak the height. It comes with 3 "feet" that you rest the tripod legs on. These are adjustable for leveling purposes.
I have only run it 3 times so far. With the EQ8 mount head last night I was achieving around 0.4" RMS guiding over about 3 hours. Have not done any tweaking as far as guiding parameters are concerned and only roughly balanced it. So certainly, the pier itself is not giving me any grief.

Malcolm
Old 23-05-2019, 09:20 PM
Andy01 (Andy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by barx1963 View Post
Andy
I now have an EQ8 Pier. That thing is solid. Weight wise it is just at the limit for portability. Not too bad to carry from the back room out into the garden but would not want to try carrying across the field as SV for example.
Malcolm
Hmmm- ok thanks Malcolm - yes 30 odd kgs is a serious hump of steel to carry. Might have to continue searching - but they do look good!