Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 10-03-2008, 10:00 AM
John Saunders
Live long and prosper

Any other Hams out there?

Hi folks!

As well as being an ardent sky-watcher, I am also a very active Ham Radio operator (VK4BZ). As I talk to others in the astronomy fraternity (including the ladies of course!) and then talk to other hams, there seems to be a high degree of correlation between the two interest areas - ie hams who sky-watch and sky-watchers who "chew the fat" on-air.

Am I correct in this perception or just been lucky to come across people with similar interests?

If there are other ham/astronomers out there are you interested in starting a net to talk about sky-watching, perhaps on 40m or 80m?

Let me know by reply or PM.

Cheers...73's...etc
Old 10-03-2008, 12:08 PM
I.C.D (Ian)

John,
Looking at your call sign you are full blown Ham operator.Have a mate trying to talk me me into getting my novice call sign but I have to travel hour away for two days (over a weeekend)to sit the course ,still thinking of it
Old 10-03-2008, 01:45 PM
John Saunders
Live long and prosper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
John,
Looking at your call sign you are full blown Ham operator.Have a mate trying to talk me me into getting my novice call sign but I have to travel hour away for two days (over a weeekend)to sit the course ,still thinking of it
Hi, Ian. If you want to get your Foundation Licence (new entry level) or your Standard Licence (replaces Novice with extra bands and power) then there are distance learning courses through the WIA and Westlakes Radio Club you can do. I can send you some info if you want. The practical part of the test needs hands-on practice, but your friend can help you with that aspect. The good thing is for entry these days - no morse requirement! Mind you, I still use morse a lot myself.

Cheers!
Old 10-03-2008, 01:48 PM
Suzy_A

.... .. ..--..

.... --- .-- .----. ... .. - --. ---- .. -. --. ..--..

--... ...-- .----. ...

...- -.- -.... -.-- -... ...-
Old 10-03-2008, 03:39 PM
John Saunders
Live long and prosper

Hi, Susan.

Yourcharacterspacingisalittlehardto follow... I had to read what you typed and send it with a key to make sense (I work by ear, not eye with cw), but even then I'm not sure I have the message!

If you are interested, I'm happy to have people from all over the country - we would just have to pick a good freq for VK6 to the east coast.

Cheers!

-.. . ...- -.- ....- -... --..

.-.-. ... -.-

Old 10-03-2008, 08:09 PM
PCH (Paul)

How's this ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Saunders View Post
Hi, Susan.

Yourcharacterspacingisalittlehardto follow... I had to read what you typed and send it with a key to make sense (I work by ear, not eye with cw), but even then I'm not sure I have the message!

If you are interested, I'm happy to have people from all over the country - we would just have to pick a good freq for VK6 to the east coast.

Cheers!

-.. . ...- -.- ....- -... --..

.-.-. ... -.-

Hi guys,

I'm not a Ham, but was a ships R/O for 10 years. So as I see it, Suzy's message is ...

"Hi, how's it going? 73's VK6YBV"

The "73's" bit doesn't mean much to me, as I'm not familiar with Ham talk, but there you go - at least now you have the message !

Cheers,
Old 10-03-2008, 08:24 PM
Kokatha man

Vk5mu.....

No ham John, not even a little bit o' bacon - but the old fella still holds his license - VK5MU - he's been off the air a couple of years, he's almost 91 but we're lookin' to set him up with a handset in the home he's now in: you possibly may have spoken to him at some stage backaways, he's one of the real ol' timers. Wants to pass his call sign onto my eldest if/when he gets a license.

Regards, Darryl.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:05 PM
IanL

Hi John i used to be a pirate on 3.6mhz 6mhz 14mhz 21mhz 26 27 28 and 145mhz

Radio used to be a great passion of mine for about 15 years.

But left it all behind about 10 years ago. Still listen in now and then but don't operate at all. Took up astronomy instead.

Ah the days of the 4 ele yagi and 706 MK2

This was in another country

Cheers
.. .- -..
Old 11-03-2008, 01:59 AM
johnno

Hi John,

Iv,e been an Amateur Radio Operator "Full Call" for over 25 Years.

I Absolutely Hate,the term "HAM".

Just Looked it up on Wikipedia.

It Seems the term Originated,in the us.

I do like "HAM",often Glaze it,have it at Xmas,and Also Throught the year.

regards.
John.

VK2CJO
Old 11-03-2008, 06:29 AM
John Saunders
Live long and prosper

Well done, Paul. I've never used an apostrophe in morse, so that's what confused me along with the ---- for "o". 73's is an abbreviation for thanks, see you later, etc in Amateur morse protocol.

Darryl - I probably have spoken with VK5M; I've been licensed since 1980. He could have a go on echolink if he is computer savvy. Work around the world via internet and VHF/UHF repeaters.

Ian - naughty, naughty...but then again we've probably all transmitted in places we shouldn't have...

Johnno - Yes, "Ham" is not a good term, but unfortunately it's the one used almost universally for Amateur Radio, hence my use of it!

Anyway, thanks for the replies - but it seems no one is interested in an astro net? Oh well, such is life.

Have a good one all...whether that be sending signals into the ether or gazing into it!

Cheers
Old 11-03-2008, 09:04 AM
IanL

Yeah John it was naughty. That was in my youth. I really enjoyed talking on the radio but never got the time to sit the test. I used to listen in a lot to Hams and some of the qso's was great. Good bunch of people doing what they enjoyed.

I look back with fond memories. Good to see so many people on the thread that enjoy the radio too.

Cheers

Ian