Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Astronomy and Amateur Science

Old 12-10-2009, 01:42 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Scintillating bolometer dark matter detection device.

For those who are interested in the dark matter hypothisis...
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0925092650.htm
alex
Old 12-10-2009, 01:44 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

and even more "dark" things...an old entry but new to me.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0131094056.htm
alex
Old 12-10-2009, 02:22 PM
Robh (Rob)

Interesting. Thanks Alex.

I'm curious to see what they come up with, which may be perhaps nothing as it is purely conjecture anyway (won't that throw a spanner in the works!). I'm surprised that something so sensitive to temperature could work on this planet i.e. not be parked in space. Funny they refer to it as a mission (not a space mission).

Regards, Rob.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:27 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I thought similar Rob but if they build it maybe one day it could be placed someplace where it has an opportunity of picking up something.
I mean think of COBE I recall reading when they put that type of gear in a jet limited to Earths atmosphere ..but eventually they placed themselves in a place where a chance of sucess was possible... many gravity experiments to me seem doomed here on the planet.
Probably has to do with funding... I mean even if things are stacked against you if the funding is there why not try.

alex
Old 12-10-2009, 08:44 PM
Redshift (Phil)

Do you think dark matter is seriously possible or is it still in the realm of science fiction?
Old 12-10-2009, 09:39 PM
Robh (Rob)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshift View Post
Do you think dark matter is seriously possible or is it still in the realm of science fiction?
Dark matter was hypothesised to explain the faster orbital velocities of stars around galaxies and that of galaxies around clusters. So, it was convenient to conjure up more mass (dark matter) to explain the binding forces needed. However, it is possible that modified Newtonian dynamics (MOND) could explain this. Although dark matter is feasible, direct evidence of the existence of dark matter has not been forthcoming and it is not known what it could be made of. Some anomalies of late have created problems for the dark matter hypothesis (see thread More Cracks in Dark Matter Hypothesis?).

Regards, Rob.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:18 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshift View Post
The wonderful thing about dark matter is that as it is not nailed down all are entitled to a view.

My view is that it is a myth.
It is necessary to support the misconception that a force of attraction is real...and it is obviously not a reality..attraction is a myth that is in the minds of humans who can not comptemplate the altermnative because of the current views it destroys. Mind you GR I believe mentions no force neither attraction or push.

Attraction is a force we place so much faith in and yet it is really not there...it is not a reality..there is no such thing...nothing more than a myth related to human experience..which is totally unreliable.

Now that is unacceptable for most folk but when you think it thru there is no basis for the force of attraction...It has never been scientifically established..never never never never...and no one can provce or establish it is a reality...nothing establishes attraction...I know we all see attraction but all you see is push analysed as attraction...Attraction was a given before science got there... now without attraction we must face a reality that everything works basically from a radiation pressure... think of what pressure there is in a void... maybe... but E=MC^2 suggests to me that if we convert all energy passing by any point anywhere in the universe to mass (simply for an understnading of the force that may be at play) we get a view of "outter space" as most complicated and jam packed with something... now all this passing stuff may be the dark matter but they see it different to me... they see dark matter as static and I see it as moving at or near C....They say dark matter is clustered... I say it is to fit the demands of attraction to make everything work... Whereas I see a flow (at c in every direction) rather than clumps of stuff undetectable other than to employ our sums of attraction to say it is there ...Dark matter exists because the attraction sums demand its presnce..push sums do not need it at all.... A universal flow of stuff I would suggest will take dark matter out of the equation... Why elect for a universe with magic and mystery that attraction demands when an enviroment of push or a universal flow of matter or energy provides possibly a pressure that makes everything work so very simply.
Science builds on the works of what others have done before and that is wonderful ..however when the concept of an aether was removed we entered an unrealistic view of the universe... If we are to accpet dark matter we must revive the aether one would think...
I am into the belief that all things work by push ..not attraction..push works in my simple mind models but as imaginative as I am I can not see "attraction" as a force that is a reality...

I believe there is no such thing and so I dont need dark matter in my universe.
The razor tells us simple is good complex is bad and to go simple it probably is correct... well I go with that..and attraction is so complicated to outline I dissmissed it as being fanciful...the implication of attraction is that every object in the universe is in personal contact with every other object...I find that impossible and impractical..yet all our science insists attraction is a force.. and so we must have dark matter... dark matter..mmm lets think about it... we can see it..it has no radiation.. does that add up..why would the universe put such stuff in... I find it easier to accept Newtons statement that the force of gravity is the force of God than I can accept that we have stuff that has no radiation and is only apparent by implication from gravitaional expectations... and dark matter..is to make up 90 % of our universe but we can not see it etc... try push and it is not needed ...

The fact is if you work out the sums as far as dark matter you find you can never never never add or subtract enought to do the job... all calculations are based on local observations yet if you extend the problem you will find addition of more and more nmatter makes things worse not better... and I have done sums in spite of my non relience on math for most of my conclusions on observations I have made....

I was into math once... but that is the only time you will hear that.

Still I am me and me is of no importance and have no recognition so why could I be right... Like Dr A or any of them being the first to see something is not good as others will say you are nuts...but I was not first to see this... DrA's supporters seek a monopoly on thinking it seems.

I dont care really ..there is no cash in this so it is always a hobby...time will prove me correct maybe so I am not concerned... not concerned if I am wrong either..it is after all an idea...unsupported..but I did nail the Pioneer thing so I am one up (in my view) as they say. If only Newtonian was used they could never conclude what I concluded... GR would have been a worse result actually...do the sums if you doubt me.

So these are the ramblings of a crazy person enjoy them as entertainment and you wont go wrong.
alex
Old 12-10-2009, 10:28 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Sorry about that .. it late I have littel to do and so you got a full bucket.
THe fact is we have something that offers hope to determine if dark matter is a fact.. my speculation beliefs etc are irrelevant and I am sorry to bore you with such a plate full of dribble.
alex
Old 13-10-2009, 05:36 PM
Morepower (Craig)

Maybe a stupid question but could there possibly be Gravity (attraction) and Anti-Gravity (push) ? Maybe Gravity is working on the Galaxies (and all other matter), and Anti-Gravity is working in between the Galaxies to push them together at the same time Gravity pulls them together ?? Also Alex if it were just "push" would a beam of light still bend as it does when it passes say a star as it would if it were just pull ?
Old 13-10-2009, 06:01 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morepower View Post
Maybe a stupid question but could there possibly be Gravity (attraction) and Anti-Gravity (push) ? Maybe Gravity is working on the Galaxies (and all other matter), and Anti-Gravity is working in between the Galaxies to push them together at the same time Gravity pulls them together ?? Also Alex if it were just "push" would a beam of light still bend as it does when it passes say a star as it would if it were just pull ?

Until the matter is nailed down and everything fits, tsted observed etc why not... I must say I cant accept attraction so I cant readily go with your proposition however what you suggest is close to the current science I think is so far as on the one side there be gravity(pull) and on the other there be "dark energy" ...dark energy is looked to to answer why the universe is expanding but maybe it could be the "anti" you seek... it is seen as a repulsive force.

Push is perhaps misleading to descibe the way I see it... think of a pressure created via particles/energy coming from all directions... so light will be pushed to mass because the mass shields the pressure from the other side of the universe.
alex