ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18-09-2017, 02:39 PM
traveller (Bo)
Not enough time and money

family and astro friendly sites

Hi all,
Just doing a bit of research on family and astro friendly holiday sites in Victoria. Here are some criteria:
1. Within 3 hrs drive of Melbourne
2. Caters for family (2 boys hitting teenage years)
3. Reasonably dark for astro viewing and imaging.
We are tossing up between a bush block or a caravan/cabin site.
Basically a bush block would be ideal, without yearly fees, usually darker sites etc but the boys will get bored too easily and the facilities are not quite there for the Mrs (toilet/shower and power).
Caravan or cabin on the other hand would be better for the family but not as astro friendly and has yearly outgoings etc.
Anyone has any suggestions?
thanks!
Bo
Old 18-09-2017, 03:20 PM
Imme (Jon)

Hi Bo
I'm actually tossing up offering something along these lines to you city slickers if I found there was interest out there.
I'm the new owner of the old Macedon Ranges Observatory (MRO) which provides exceptionally dark skies, is close to Melbourne, backs on to State Forest and also has the added advantage of powered concrete telescope pads and.....if you're game.....a 6mx6m observatory with electric roll off roof and attached office space for computers to control imaging equipment.
Before my time there were a number of very high profile astrophotographers who visited MRO that I guess stands testament to what the site has to offer. Type MRO or Macedon Ranges Observatory in to Google and click the images tab....some great shots taken from my backyard.

I've also thought about setting up a "Glamping" site for romantic getaways.....might suit your purposes on both fronts!!!

I'll watch this thread with interest.
Old 18-09-2017, 05:11 PM
Wavytone

A little further afield, I'll suggest Lake Catani camping ground on the top of Mt Buffalo.

Being 30 mins from Bright there are a wealth of daytime activities - snow sports in winter, bushwalking, climbing, mountain bike trails, fishing, and for the real thrill seekers paragliding and hang-gliding. In summer the river is nice for swimming (big waterhole and a weir) and there's a water park to amuse little ones. My wife's favourite past-time is to moor herself in a shady spot in the river with a good book.

It's also an awesome location for observing either outside your tent or nearby if you want to escape curious onlookers.

Add to that the possibilities of farm stays, several great pubs, fine food and 90 wineries within 90 minutes drive.

If you want a bush block you'll find these too.

Last edited by Wavytone; 18-09-2017 at 05:50 PM.
Old 18-09-2017, 07:21 PM
traveller (Bo)
Not enough time and money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imme View Post
Hi Bo
I'm actually tossing up offering something along these lines to you city slickers if I found there was interest out there.
I'm the new owner of the old Macedon Ranges Observatory (MRO) which provides exceptionally dark skies, is close to Melbourne, backs on to State Forest and also has the added advantage of powered concrete telescope pads and.....if you're game.....a 6mx6m observatory with electric roll off roof and attached office space for computers to control imaging equipment.
Before my time there were a number of very high profile astrophotographers who visited MRO that I guess stands testament to what the site has to offer. Type MRO or Macedon Ranges Observatory in to Google and click the images tab....some great shots taken from my backyard.

I've also thought about setting up a "Glamping" site for romantic getaways.....might suit your purposes on both fronts!!!

I'll watch this thread with interest.
Thanks Jon. Do you have an updated website or link, all the ones I find on the web are dated 2007-2010.
I am looking at a spot for myself and the family but always good to have some glamping options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
A little further afield, I'll suggest Lake Catani camping ground on the top of Mt Buffalo.

Being 30 mins from Bright there are a wealth of daytime activities - snow sports in winter, bushwalking, climbing, mountain bike trails, fishing, and for the real thrill seekers paragliding and hang-gliding. In summer the river is nice for swimming (big waterhole and a weir) and there's a water park to amuse little ones. My wife's favourite past-time is to moor herself in a shady spot in the river with a good book.

It's also an awesome location for observing either outside your tent or nearby if you want to escape curious onlookers.

Add to that the possibilities of farm stays, several great pubs, fine food and 90 wineries within 90 minutes drive.

If you want a bush block you'll find these too.
Thanks Wavy. Yes lake Catani and Eppalock are on the list. Now just got to decide onsite van/cabin or a bush block and the associated amenities upgrades...

Bo
Old 19-09-2017, 08:30 AM
Imme (Jon)

I'm actually not up and running at the moment Bo......just looking at options for the future.
I have a couple friends who have visited but that's about it.