Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16-09-2017, 03:44 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Now that looks like a chart32 shot from an observatory on top of a mountain. Sub zero cool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
what a fantastic cruddy image !!! whinge, whine and complain I can only hope that one day i get the change to get something like this. Fantastic details and i certainly appreciate the resolution.
Thanks Guys....nice to be compared with the Chart guys...but I can only get glimmers of their silky smooth, high resolution imagery from my location.

Imaging from the 'burbs I am always up against the LP noise wall and wait for many nights to get one with reasonable seeing.

Try as I might, I could not get Maxim to fully register the RGB frames. Hence I'm rapidly becoming a Pixinsight fanboy.

Their image registration with distortion correction tool is remarkable. ..and well worth discovering if you haven't already done so.
Old 16-09-2017, 06:13 PM
gregbradley

That's way better Peter. I'll keep that in mind next time I have an image that is not registering well (it happens).

I found PI fabulous for registering nightscape images that other software could not handle. Its an odd program but some of its tools are just cutting edge.

Greg.
Old 16-09-2017, 06:58 PM
atalas

I'm working on this as well Peter,and If I can do half as well as this from our location I'll be happy

Excellent work
Old 16-09-2017, 07:47 PM
Stevec35 (Steve)

That's a nice NGC 253 Peter although it looks like you could have used more data because there's a bit of colour noise in the background. I'm constantly surprised at the quality of the images you produce given the considerable light pollution at your location.

Cheers

Steve
Old 17-09-2017, 12:18 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec35 View Post
That's a nice NGC 253 Peter although it looks like you could have used more data because there's a bit of colour noise in the background. I'm constantly surprised at the quality of the images you produce given the considerable light pollution at your location.

Cheers

Steve
Ta Steve...I'm slowly getting a handle on PixInsight's noise and DBE tools, which look very promising for removing the noise I'm always struggling with. As a result I don't think I'm done with this one just yet...plus haven't event begun to explore their sharpening tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atalas View Post
I'm working on this as well Peter,and If I can do half as well as this from our location I'll be happy

Excellent work
Much appreciate Louie. One significant upside of using a long FL is it reduces the effect of sky glow..i.e. sky brightness per pixel....which in our neck of the woods is hardly trivial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
That's way better Peter. I'll keep that in mind next time I have an image that is not registering well (it happens).

I found PI fabulous for registering nightscape images that other software could not handle. Its an odd program but some of its tools are just cutting edge.

Greg.
Thanks Greg. Yep while the PI interface, as I think Marcus put it: about as much fun as bamboo under the fingernails, it has some simply amazing tools
Old 17-09-2017, 12:46 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Much better on now my monitor - the previous rendition was decidedly lilac on my CALIBRATED monitor
Old 17-09-2017, 03:04 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Much better on now my monitor - the previous rendition was decidedly lilac on my CALIBRATED monitor
Whew! Order has been restored to the force
Old 17-09-2017, 03:52 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Yes sorry I had a little flatulence. The force is restabilised
Old 17-09-2017, 06:17 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Impressive detail Peter, well done
Old 17-09-2017, 09:45 PM
marc4darkskies (Marcus)
Billions and Billions ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
A focal reducer was used to deliver a paltry focal length of around 2500mm
Paltry indeed!! Why anyone would want to image this galaxy with anything less than 3130mm is utterly beyond me! At least you used respectably large pixels!

All up though, not bad for a hobbled Alluna!
Old 19-09-2017, 06:19 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc4darkskies View Post
Paltry indeed!! Why anyone would want to image this galaxy with anything less than 3130mm is utterly beyond me! At least you used respectably large pixels!

All up though, not bad for a hobbled Alluna!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slawomir View Post
Impressive detail Peter, well done
Thanks gentelmen. I suspect I might have used the FFC corrector rather than the FFR....too many *TLA's to keep track of

*three letter acronyms
Old 19-09-2017, 06:48 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

Fantastic - love the resolution !
Old 19-09-2017, 08:18 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
Ta Steve...I'm slowly getting a handle on PixInsight's noise and DBE tools, which look very promising for removing the noise I'm always struggling with. As a result I don't think I'm done with this one just yet...plus haven't event begun to explore their sharpening tools.

Much appreciate Louie. One significant upside of using a long FL is it reduces the effect of sky glow..i.e. sky brightness per pixel....which in our neck of the woods is hardly trivial.

Thanks Greg. Yep while the PI interface, as I think Marcus put it: about as much fun as bamboo under the fingernails, it has some simply amazing tools
Have you tried the new PIXINSIGHT photometry-based colour tool? I think it is a new approach to get the initial RGB image properly CALIBRATED. Might help avoid future lilac episodes.
Old 19-09-2017, 09:43 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_4059 View Post
Have you tried the new PIXINSIGHT photometry-based colour tool? I think it is a new approach to get the initial RGB image properly CALIBRATED. Might help avoid future lilac episodes.
Not yet.
On the "to do" list.
Consider me suitably chastised.
Old 20-09-2017, 09:52 AM
markas (Mark)

Terrific detail,Peter

Mark
Old 23-09-2017, 07:07 PM
Paul Haese

The latest version looks pretty reasonable for an image taken in light polluted skies. It does seem a shame you have not got this scope parked some where dark. Surely you could do an arrangement with itelescopes for hosting and loaning of time.
Old 23-09-2017, 07:52 PM
Placidus (Mike and Trish)
Narrowing the band

The final colour is beautiful, and the crispy crunchy detail is just amazing. Lovely.
Old 24-09-2017, 09:36 AM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placidus View Post
The final colour is beautiful, and the crispy crunchy detail is just amazing. Lovely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Haese View Post
The latest version looks pretty reasonable for an image taken in light polluted skies. It does seem a shame you have not got this scope parked some where dark. Surely you could do an arrangement with itelescopes for hosting and loaning of time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markas View Post
Terrific detail,Peter

Mark
Thanks gentlemen. As for moving the ‘scope to a dark site, yes that would be nice, but I like to change out optical configurations and filter sets which is not easy to do remotely. That said, I’ve been looking at the prices of rural plots within a few hours of Sydney...ouch! I suspect I’ll need to win lotto first
Old 24-09-2017, 07:00 PM
cometcatcher (Kevin)
<--- Comet Hale-Bopp

That's very sharp! At this level, galaxies that otherwise look like stars pop out.

I'm imaging 253 at the moment but it won't look like this unfortunately.
Old 26-09-2017, 07:09 PM
Martin Pugh

Hi Peter

late to comment here. Terrific detail in the galaxy indicating good focus.

Needs to be hit with the Tony Hallas Green Pixel Gun (as he calls it in his talks) and there is a very simple way in PS to get rid of satellite trails with two clicks of the mouse :-)

cheers
Martin