Old 29-11-2018, 10:37 PM
RyanJones

Filter Advice

Hi all,

I'm looking at asking Santa for a LP filter for Christmas but I'm not sure what to ask for. From the research I've done it looks like the Astronomik UHC-E is the way to go. All of my OTAs are 5" or 4" and are used almost exclusively for imaging. Imaging is done with a Canon 5d DSLR full-frame.

The challenge is where to put it in the imaging train and can I put it where I can use it on all of my setups ? The only positions the SCT, Refractor and soon to be aquired Newtonian share are either clip in the camera or on the T-ring ends of the respective t-adaptors. I'm assuming that's T2 - M42 ?

I'm worried that if I use a clip in filter, the frame may cause vignetting on the full frame sensor ? Next in line is in between the T-ring and T-adaptor ( I'm assuming this is how it mounts ? ). Would the weight of the camera, which is quite heavy, cause load on the filter and cause the filter to distort ? Beyond that we are looking at 2 filters. One for the SCT adaptor and another for the 2" end of the T-adaptor I use on the other scopes. Obviously I would only go this direction if there is a reason to have the filter closer to the OTA because it would double the price of the idea.

I guess finally I need to ask is the Astronomik UHC-E filter good value for money or is there something better in the same price range ( $250 ) ?

I thank you all in advance for any advice and constructive guidance given.

Cheers

Ryan
Old 30-11-2018, 07:16 AM
ChrisV (Chris)

You can get clip filters for full frame cameras
https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop...ze-Sensor.html
Old 30-11-2018, 08:03 AM
RyanJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV View Post
You can get clip filters for full frame cameras
https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop...ze-Sensor.html
Well that very succinctly solves that one then thank you Chris.
Old 30-11-2018, 03:00 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I also wouldn’t be using anything smaller than a M48 thread for a full frame as a T2 will quite heavily vignette. It’s only a M42 which is a little smaller than a full frame but it gets in the way of the light path.
Old 30-11-2018, 05:39 PM
RyanJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
I also wouldn’t be using anything smaller than a M48 thread for a full frame as a T2 will quite heavily vignette. It’s only a M42 which is a little smaller than a full frame but it gets in the way of the light path.
Thanks Atmos. That's what I was thinking. I'm assuming the full frame filters Chris sent me the link for won't vignette as they are designed for that camera. Is right in front of the sensor the best place for the filter is really the only question after that ?

Last edited by RyanJones; 30-11-2018 at 07:06 PM.
Old 30-11-2018, 09:18 PM
luka
Unregistered User

Just another option, you could get a filter drawer that mounts to the camera. Then you can insert standard size filters (probably you need 48mm for full frame).
Something like this or this.
Old 30-11-2018, 10:40 PM
RyanJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by luka View Post
Just another option, you could get a filter drawer that mounts to the camera. Then you can insert standard size filters (probably you need 48mm for full frame).
Something like this or this.
Yes another option however it's another joint to worry about tipping ? All of there options seem to suggest that the filter being right in front of the sensor is the place for it so probably the easiest option is going to be the clip in that Chris suggested.

So the last question is, is the Astronomik UHC-E filter good in that price range or is there something better ?
Old 12-01-2019, 10:04 AM
Bluknghtv (Daniel)

I have a xl clip in for my canon 5dsr full frame and it doesn't work. It impedes the mirror and I get an error 20 code
Old 12-01-2019, 05:43 PM
RyanJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluknghtv View Post
I have a xl clip in for my canon 5dsr full frame and it doesn't work. It impedes the mirror and I get an error 20 code
Hi Daniel,

I've actually heard/read somewhere that they don't work on the S or the Sr because of that exact reason. Something about them having larger mirrors ? Mine is an early one. Just out of interest, how does your camera cope with reds ? Mine is really struggling
Old 13-01-2019, 01:44 AM
casstony

You could try a wanted ad for an IDAS P2 Ryan; it's what I use with my standard dslr and colour balance is good. I also have an IDAS D2 but it's better suited to a modded camera.