Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29-11-2018, 04:19 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Rare conjunction fish to land next week between Mars & Neptune!

Hi all,

I've just come to find out with Sky Safari that Mars will come within 1° of Neptune between the 6th and 8th of December - that's next week.

On the 7th the separation between the two will be 4 min of arc!

Mars will get even closer, but this won't be visible to us here in Oz.

Below is a screenshot of Sky Safari of the apparition on the 7th, the closest approach.

A rare opportunity to see two planets in the one field of view, and with as much magnification as you can muster on the 7th!

Happy hunting!

Alex.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Mars & Neptune conjunction (1).png)
150.2 KB129 views

Last edited by mental4astro; 29-11-2018 at 06:13 PM.
Old 29-11-2018, 04:25 PM
Wavytone

Interesting point regarding Neptune and conjunctions...

On the night of its discovery - September 23–24, 1846 - by astronomer Johann Gottfried Galle, Neptune was about 1 degree from Saturn.

Considering how often it does make a close conjunction with the brighter planets - which at that time must have been just as popular telescopic targets as they are now - I find it interesting no-one had noticed an 8th magnitude interloper tagging along close by, whose relative position changed quite obviously over weeks/months, until then.
Old 29-11-2018, 05:49 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)

By the way, if you find yourself at a dark site next weekend, jave a go at spotting Uranus naked eye. I've seen it several times from the dark site I go to in Blackheath in the Blue Mountains. Seeing Uranus is a good test of transparency. On the occassions I've seen Uranus I was also able to see fainter stars around it too - a very good sky indeed!

Alex.
Old 29-11-2018, 05:54 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mental4astro View Post
...have a go at spotting Uranus naked eye.
I use a mirror, naked. I can easily see the brown eye looking back at me.

C'mon, you KNEW someone was going to - may as well have been me.

Thanks for the heads up though I suspect Canberra will be cloud ridden as usual.
Old 29-11-2018, 06:01 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)

Always one in the crowd...
Old 29-11-2018, 06:05 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Natch
Old 30-11-2018, 08:58 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)

I'm thinking of going out on the 7th to do some sidewalk astronomy as this is such a unique event. Few non-astronomers have seen Mars through a scope and even fewer have seen Neptune that this is too much of an opportunity not to share it with a wider audience. Yes Mars is small, but the polar cap is still visible and the dust storm has abated, so it is still a good enough target and Neptune is really the stuff of science fiction for most people. And on Friday next week both planets will be in the one field of view.

I've done sidewalk astronomy from the promenade along Coogee Beach, and the times I've been there it has been very successful. But the western sky is cluttered with tall pine trees. I'm trying to think of a location with a better western aspect that has a lot of people. Can anyone suggest a place or two in Sydney 's east. Maybe someone might like to join me too!

Thanks,

Alex.

Last edited by mental4astro; 30-11-2018 at 10:20 AM.
Old 30-11-2018, 08:25 PM
JeniSkunk (Jenifur)

Not a snowball's chance in Hell of seeing this from my place.
It's location in the sky requires being able to see through the brickwork of my block of flats.
Old 30-11-2018, 09:04 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
I use a mirror, naked. I can easily see the brown eye looking back at me.

C'mon, you KNEW someone was going to - may as well have been me.

Actually I was expecting it from you
Old 01-12-2018, 07:31 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)

Jen, I do recall your mobility difficulties. Any chance that a mate has a place with a good westerly aspect you could set up from with time? Or a park or school? Asking a mate to help you out is something I'm not shy of doing either!
Old 02-12-2018, 09:04 PM
netwolf

Alex thx for the heads up, what scope combo will you be using?
Old 02-12-2018, 10:05 PM
Wavytone

My guess is the Intes 715D as it out-resolves the others Alex has. Both planets are now serious challenges for resolution.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:54 PM
netwolf

Nick I suspect that to be the case just checking as on the 6th it maybe be tough to get both in FOV of the 7” f15 mak even at 40mm ep. on the 7th its no issue. I am thinking I will use my ETX125 on the 6th if weather permits and try the 7” on 7th.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:40 PM
Rkonrad (Richard)

Thanks Alex will have a look, weather permitting as summer here is not that clear as our winter evenings
Old 03-12-2018, 07:36 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)

Fahim,

My Mak, and for that matter my SCT, both use 2" diagonals. With the Intes Mak and a 30mm 82° eyepiece I am able to get TFOV of just under 1°, so I will be able to see the conjunction on all three nights with that scope. However, this scope/EP combination I haven't used before, and as the bore through the primary mirror is quite small, I'm not sure if I'd actually get the full TFOV with that scope/EP combination. The image may vignette, but I need to see for certain, and if it does by how much.

This has not really been a issue with the SCT though, as the bore in this primary is slightly larger than in the Mak. I also have other scopes I could use and an NEQ6 to provide tracking. The SCT is on a fork and wedge.

I still need to settle on a place to set up for the sidewalk astronomy. The promenade along Bondi Beach is another possibility. The western sky is very clear there and has plenty of pedestrian traffic.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:51 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)

I've been looking for astro outreach/sidewalk spots with a clear/mostly clear western sky and pedestrian traffic. So far I've identified these candidates:

* Bondi Beach next to the Pavilion

* Hyde Park across the road from the western transept of St Mary's Cathedral - Center Point is very close by

* Taylor Square in Darlinghurst, but a lot of road traffic too - have to think carefully about this one because of the cars.

* Tumbalong Park in Darling Harbour - good location, but tricky to access with gear.

* Barrangaroo - Stargazer Lawn! What a name and location!!! I might give them a call!!! Dunno what pedestrian traffic is like there though early evening... Well, blow me down! I just spoke with the good people at Barrangaroo and they said it would be perfectly fine for me to set up a scope either on the Stargazer Lawn or on one of the grassy areas beside the shoreline walkway! What a nice group of people to talk to! Might have solved my location task! If it's less than 5 people in the team setting up then no permits are required. If 5 or more, then it requires a permit. Only condition they put is not to block any of the walkways. Easy.

This makes for a few locations in Sydney's east and even CBD.

Alex.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:20 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
I'm thinking of going out on the 7th to do some sidewalk astronomy as this is such a unique event. Few non-astronomers have seen Mars through a scope and even fewer have seen Neptune that this is too much of an opportunity not to share it with a wider audience. Yes Mars is small, but the polar cap is still visible and the dust storm has abated, so it is still a good enough target and Neptune is really the stuff of science fiction for most people. And on Friday next week both planets will be in the one field of view.

I've done sidewalk astronomy from the promenade along Coogee Beach, and the times I've been there it has been very successful. But the western sky is cluttered with tall pine trees. I'm trying to think of a location with a better western aspect that has a lot of people. Can anyone suggest a place or two in Sydney 's east. Maybe someone might like to join me too!

Thanks,

Alex.
Alex thanks.

Havent been on here for a while..used to live 60 Blake st Dover Heights not far from you... great views from the park there.. Now I'll be watching this event from Concord or Castelreagh..cant wait.

Cheers bigjoe.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:23 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
I've been looking for astro outreach/sidewalk spots with a clear/mostly clear western sky and pedestrian traffic. So far I've identified these candidates:

* Bondi Beach next to the Pavilion

* Hyde Park across the road from the western transept of St Mary's Cathedral - Center Point is very close by

* Taylor Square in Darlinghurst, but a lot of road traffic too - have to think carefully about this one because of the cars.

* Tumbalong Park in Darling Harbour - good location, but tricky to access with gear.

* Barrangaroo - Stargazer Lawn! What a name and location!!! I might give them a call!!! Dunno what pedestrian traffic is like there though early evening... Well, blow me down! I just spoke with the good people at Barrangaroo and they said it would be perfectly fine for me to set up a scope either on the Stargazer Lawn or on one of the grassy areas beside the shoreline walkway! What a nice group of people to talk to! Might have solved my location task! If it's less than 5 people in the team setting up then no permits are required. If 5 or more, then it requires a permit. Only condition they put is not to block any of the walkways. Easy.

This makes for a few locations in Sydney's east and even CBD.

Alex.
Barrangaroo..
Think that area has severe parking restrictions at night ..best to check..Hickson rd Walsh Bay ,does or did!

bigjoe.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:19 PM
Wavytone

Joe you’re right... thanks to the goons drag racing at night plus the dealers plying their wares.

Personally I wouldn’t put a telescope out there for another reason - A lot of A-list types live in the apartments in that area and the sight of a telescope is going to draw suspicion - and the police - fairly quickly.

Mrs Macquaries, Glebe Point or Pirrima Park is are better in that respect.

FWIW from last Saturday night you’ll need around 200X to resolve Neptune as a little blue green disk and Mars will be easily seen as a disk. In my scope (F=3100) that means a 14mm eyepiece and at that power both Mars and Neptune will fit comfortably in the field of many eyepieces, so it should be a pretty fine sight.

If the seeing allows more power... great.

Last edited by Wavytone; 03-12-2018 at 04:46 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:44 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
Joe you’re right... thanks to the goons drag racing at night plus the dealers plying their wares.

Personally I wouldn’t put a telescope out there for another reason - A lot of A-list types live in the aperments there and the sight of a telescope is going to draw suspicion - and the police - fairly quickly.

Mrs Macquaries, Glebe point or Pirrima park are better in that respect.
I though so Wavy..my Bro had a penthouse there before moving to Hollywood and Vegas(Just got back to Sydney)
ALWAYS HOONS!

bigjoe.