Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > ATM and DIY Projects

Old 01-02-2019, 09:34 AM
Sayfog (Alistair)

Talking Automating Polar Alignment

Hi guys, long time lurker first time poster here -

I just got myself an Heq5 and while its a big upgrade over my Star Adventurer in terms of go to there's still the annoying polar alignment. Now I'm nIce been using the magic of AstroTortilla's plate solving + polar alignment error to get it good but using the imprecise bolts is annoying to say the least.

I can play with stepper motors until the cows come home, I was wondering if anyone had attempted a similar thing in the past/has any mechanical tips. I was thinking of adding teeth to the outside of the mount but that might be quite hard to get some with the right curvature. Plan B would be drill a hole through where the polar bolts are and replace them with a long worm gear.

Am I off my rocker or does this sound doable?
Old 01-02-2019, 10:32 AM
Wavytone

I'd say you're making a mountain out of a molehill and about to ruin a perfect good mount. Once aligned you still have to manually lock the mount in azimuth and altitude, or it will be wobbly.

Here's how I do it and with practice all done in 5 minutes http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=172879

With plate solving obviously you can get closer than I do, but then there are other effects such as atmospheric refraction that apply so there really isn't a perfect way for a scope to track, without optical feedback from a guider of some sort, so its a bit pointless obsessing about "perfect" polar alignment better than 15 arc minutes.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:36 AM
bojan
amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayfog View Post
....does this sound doable?
No real need for that.
Drift alighment (as refinment after polarfinder) is accurate and easy.
The best approach is permanent mounting on pier of course.
Old 01-02-2019, 01:36 PM
kens (Ken)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayfog View Post
Hi guys, long time lurker first time poster here -

I just got myself an Heq5 and while its a big upgrade over my Star Adventurer in terms of go to there's still the annoying polar alignment. Now I'm nIce been using the magic of AstroTortilla's plate solving + polar alignment error to get it good but using the imprecise bolts is annoying to say the least.

I can play with stepper motors until the cows come home, I was wondering if anyone had attempted a similar thing in the past/has any mechanical tips. I was thinking of adding teeth to the outside of the mount but that might be quite hard to get some with the right curvature. Plan B would be drill a hole through where the polar bolts are and replace them with a long worm gear.

Am I off my rocker or does this sound doable?
Already been done:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=qH-NZuUYFe0