Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > ATM and DIY Projects

Old 09-02-2019, 05:59 PM
scoperboy (Stuart)

Winner. This is essentially what is working, but the handsaw gums up with melted silicon. To aid things, I poured acetone down between the mirror and cell to soften the silicone up. Then saw like hell. After a minute or two, progress become hard. Take the saw out, spray with WD40, wipe saw clean, WD40 again and continue. After an hour I'm probably 3/4 of the way through. Maybe 30 minutes left.

Had to go to your Bunnings and find a really thin Stanley handsaw $12, as most are too thick had to get a really thin one. After this job, it will need to go in the bin.

This is the only thing that worked. Hacksaw blades, guitar string, wire saws, thin blades ..... None of that stuff worked.

The cell might be salvageable

After all this, I hope the astigmatism is solved and the figure isn't bad.

[/B]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
Find a handsaw with a blade long enough to cut right across the back of the glass, parallel to the glass, and cut through all the silicone. You're up for a new cell anyway by the sound of it.

The blade can't do any damage to glass - more likely the glass will take the edge off the blade.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:45 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Gosh! Dedication and enterprise

Glad to read you solved the problem and how.

Looking at remaking the cell or reusing the existing one? Any ideas how to reuse/fit the primary to it?

Alex.