Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk

Old 07-04-2013, 01:52 AM
Astroliver (Oliver)

Kalgoorlie good view spots and astronomy clubs?

Hi everyone!

I have just moved to Kalgoorlie for University reasons and would like to know if there are any clubs around the area or any particular areas that have great clear views of the night sky?

Many thanks
Oliver
Old 07-04-2013, 07:28 AM
AstralTraveller (David)

I don't know if we have any members in Kalgoorlie but Grahame recently posted a nightscape from Lake Ballard, just north of town, so he may know some spots. http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=104826

My memory is that in June-July there was often low fog in town but I imagine basically anywhere out of town that isn't in a hollow would be fine. I remember some top-class skies from near Leonora but I doubt you would need to go that far. When I was in Alice for a while I just drove out of town and found a side-road, went a few km along that then found a clearing.

Are you studying mining?
Old 07-04-2013, 08:11 PM
Astroliver (Oliver)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstralTraveller View Post
I don't know if we have any members in Kalgoorlie but Grahame recently posted a nightscape from Lake Ballard, just north of town, so he may know some spots. http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=104826

My memory is that in June-July there was often low fog in town but I imagine basically anywhere out of town that isn't in a hollow would be fine. I remember some top-class skies from near Leonora but I doubt you would need to go that far. When I was in Alice for a while I just drove out of town and found a side-road, went a few km along that then found a clearing.

Are you studying mining?
Thanks for that, much appreciated! Might get in contact with Grahame or otherwise I shall go exploring

No, Im studying metallurgical engineering