Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space

Old 22-01-2021, 04:22 PM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Colours of Carina

Good ol' Eta Carina, in Lurid narrowband with a touch of Eric Coles Histogram balancing.

Hitting the classics again as I'm still sorting automation & the Stellarmate, and making good progress!

This is now my second image from my new Stellarmate/Rpi4/KStars/Ekos Macbook pro combo and again, I took it while sitting on the couch as the 'Scope Plate solved, Locked on, Auto focussed, Calibrated, Guided, Changed filters, Meridian flipped and did it all over again over two consecutive nights!

I've sorted the porting and am now using the internal multi-star guider - it's great! So nice to sleep through the night while the 'scope does it's thing! (sorry Mike )

ASTROBIN

2 Hrs each 5nm Ha & S2, 3 Hrs 3nm O3 from my light polluted suburban location in Melbourne, Australia. Average seeing, Bortle 5/6 skies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Colours-of-Carina_HaO3S2_SQ_iis.jpg)
199.1 KB145 views
Old 22-01-2021, 04:45 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post
Good ol' Eta Carina, in Lurid narrowband with a touch of Eric Coles Histogra! So nice to sleep through the night while the 'scope does it's thing! (sorry Mike )
Hmmm?...grrrrr ..... meah, hey, I happen to looove sitting by the waters edge, with my fishing rod, an ice cold beer beside me, catching fish, while listening to BBC World radio, under pristine clear skies, lost in the beauty of the Milky Way slooowly but majestically gliding, across the cool inky sky overhead...aaaah the serenity...Guardi le stelle Che tremano d'amore e di speranza!! Hic! ......

Well whoa!..that's certainly one colourful Carina Nebula ...looks pretty good lot of cool features showing up...AI? ...but hey, it doesn't count, cus you were lying on the couch...cheat

Mike
not jealous....
Old 23-01-2021, 05:59 AM
PKay (Peter)

Hi Andy

You have certainly captured every colour of the rainbow with a good balance
across the scene.
The contrast of light and dark adds depth as well.

The sort of image that the punters love, and i have to say
I love it too.

Well done!
Old 23-01-2021, 06:58 AM
pkinchington (Peter (Kanga))

You're the Master!
Cheers Pete
Old 23-01-2021, 01:43 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Nice fov Andy and great to see the automation working its thing. Impressive.

I don't mind at all the color palette as long as they're meaningful (i.e. you don't selectively mix channels). Whatever palette you use if it clearly defines different area of the nebs that works for me.

The only bone I'll pick is that although you have managed to get down to a very good level of details including your star sizes your processing (AI or other) has gone one level down too far and started generating what is perceive as very fine structures both in the dark parts and highlights of the picture.

That stuff is just not real and very obvious to check blinking between your shot 1:1 and other registered shots at a different image scale.

You have a sharp scope and the skills to product good pictures now. So that stuff is just letting you down right at the end IMHO. It's not improving your pics. On the contrary.
Old 23-01-2021, 05:24 PM
Andy01 (Andy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post

I don't mind at all the color palette as long as they're meaningful (i.e. you don't selectively mix channels). Whatever palette you use if it clearly defines different area of the nebs that works for me.

The only bone I'll pick is that although you have managed to get down to a very good level of details including your star sizes your processing (AI or other) has gone one level down too far and started generating what is perceive as very fine structures both in the dark parts and highlights of the picture.

That stuff is just not real and very obvious to check blinking between your shot 1:1 and other registered shots at a different image scale.

You have a sharp scope and the skills to product good pictures now. So that stuff is just letting you down right at the end IMHO. It's not improving your pics. On the contrary.
Thanks Marc, yes I used the Ai but throttled down a lot this time. Still had to soften off some of the artifacts generated though.
It’s certainly an interesting method to try experimenting with!
Thanks for the honest feedback too
Old 23-01-2021, 08:54 PM
alpal

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post

I don't agree and I think result is great.
Sure - the stars are a bit hardened but the detail looks genuine.
Compare to a much higher resolution APOD
also in narrow band:
http://www.sai.msu.su/apod/ap060316.html

Andy would need to post an unsharpened version to be sure.

cheers
Allan
Old 23-01-2021, 09:00 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpal View Post
I don't agree and I think result is great.
Sure - the stars are a bit hardened but the detail looks genuine.
Well that's your opinion. Everybody's got one.
http://www.astropic.net/astro/NGC3372_loop.gif
Old 25-01-2021, 09:04 AM
Andy01 (Andy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post

Well whoa!..that's certainly one colourful Carina Nebula ...looks pretty good lot of cool features showing up...AI? ...but hey, it doesn't count, cus you were lying on the couch...cheat

Mike
not jealous....
Thanks Mike! I was going for a high impact artistic presentation on this occasion

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKay View Post
Hi Andy

You have certainly captured every colour of the rainbow with a good balance
across the scene.
The contrast of light and dark adds depth as well.

The sort of image that the punters love, and i have to say
I love it too.

Well done!
Thanks Peter, It’s a challenge to bring something new to a classic target. Glad you liked it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkinchington View Post
You're the Master!
Cheers Pete
Oi! That’s GrandMaster mate, lol (for those unaware, the AIPP actually bestows that qualification)