Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 02-01-2010, 05:52 PM
Galah (Patrick)

Will the real DSI Pro II resolution please stand up?

Recent reading has me wondering about the following:

Meade lists the CCD Sensor for the monochrome DSI Pro II as a Sony ICX429ALL. The Sony spec. sheet for that item shows: Total number of effective pixels: 752 (H) x 582 (V).
The Meade User Guide shows - "Resolution: 748 x 577 pixels" which, while being a small difference, does not bother me all that much.

However, the Sony spec. sheet defines the sensor as Interline. Interline CCD's are described (Howell, Steve B. 2006. Handbook of CCD Astronomy.2nd ed. CUP. p.17) thus: "...each column of imaging (active) pixels is paralleled by a light-shielded column of storage (or inactive) pixels...".

Sony give this chip size as 7.40 mm (H) and the Unit cell size as 8.6 microns (H). My quick maths. shows that there is not space for 1496 (H) pixels - so, how does this all work out - and what is the real resolution?

Last edited by Galah; 04-01-2010 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Specifically point to DSI Pro
Old 11-01-2010, 01:01 AM
marki
Waiting for next electron

752 x 582 is the effective number of pixels so overall the camera is about 0.44MP.

Mark
Old 11-01-2010, 06:11 PM
Galah (Patrick)

Mark,

Thank you! Just one more thing I shall never understand.

Re your quote, my Dad had a take on that one:

Better to open your mouth (and ask) and be thought a fool than to keep it closed and prove it.

Regards,

Patrick.