Old 18-11-2009, 05:09 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Wanting to start Planetary Imaging

After drooling over all the wonderful Jupiter pics posted here and more recently the Mars pics, I'm really itching to get into planetary imaging. I started looking at the DMK USB2 cameras. I have a C11. What would you guys recommend to start with? A mono or color? What filters ahould I be considering? I have a bunch of 2" filters I use for DSO imaging already but I believe the DMK come with a 1 1/4" node piece. Does this mean I have to buy smaller filters or an adapter 1"1/4 to 2" will do? Thanks for any tips.
Old 18-11-2009, 06:21 PM
gbeal

Marc,
against the possible trend here but I reckon grab a webcam to start with, the 900 model that our mate in HK has, nose-piece as well.
I started with the humble ToUcam, and still have it. I also have the DMK (firewire though as it works better with the Mac), and really the DMK is the goods, but requires an inversely disproportionate amount of effort.
For the learning stages I reckon the cheaper ToUcam is adequate.
Gary
Old 18-11-2009, 07:35 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

What would be the minimum aperture and focal length you'd recommend?
Old 19-11-2009, 08:39 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbeal View Post
Marc,
against the possible trend here but I reckon grab a webcam to start with, the 900 model that our mate in HK has, nose-piece as well.
I started with the humble ToUcam, and still have it. I also have the DMK (firewire though as it works better with the Mac), and really the DMK is the goods, but requires an inversely disproportionate amount of effort.
For the learning stages I reckon the cheaper ToUcam is adequate.
Gary
Thanks Gary. I have a small nexstar imager which is a small sensor giving 640x480 in color. I might start with that and give it a go but I really like those DMK and I'm enquiring about the good stuff so I know what I need and buy it once. I want to get into planetary imaging seriously and get the right tools for the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjnettie View Post
What would be the minimum aperture and focal length you'd recommend?
Hi JJJ, I'd say you 'd have to go 10" and onwards at F/10 and possibly barlow on top of that.
Old 19-11-2009, 08:43 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi Marc

The DMK USB is the best to start with, with Astronomik Type II 1.25" RGB filters.

You'll need a filter wheel and a barlow/powermate too.

You could also go the Lumenera SkyNyx 2-0M which is better than the DMK, but significantly more expensive.

If you didn't want to hassle with filters just yet, the DBK USB is the best one to get.
Old 19-11-2009, 08:54 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman View Post
Hi Marc

The DMK USB is the best to start with, with Astronomik Type II 1.25" RGB filters.

You'll need a filter wheel and a barlow/powermate too.

You could also go the Lumenera SkyNyx 2-0M which is better than the DMK, but significantly more expensive.

If you didn't want to hassle with filters just yet, the DBK USB is the best one to get.
Thanks for the info. Does DMK do filter wheels? I have no idea where to start with filter wheels. Never used one. I also see that filters can be fitted in a slider. I quite like that idea. Which is preferred?
Old 19-11-2009, 10:50 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi Marc

You want an enclosed filter wheel. The filter slides won't be good when it's heavy dew etc.

You can get a manual filterwheel like the Atik's, or Atik also do auto ones.
Old 19-11-2009, 11:15 AM
asimov (John)
Planet photographer

I'd have to agree with Mike on this one. Jump straight in & don't muck about with webcams like the 840K & 900nc - They are good webcams don't get me wrong, but why learn with one of those when you can learn with either a Colour USB DBK or the USB mono DMK.

That's what I'd do if I had my time over again in any case.
Old 19-11-2009, 11:18 AM
rat156

Hi Marc,

The suggestion to start with the webcam is wise.

Until you know you have the patience for planetary imaging you probably shouldn't get a DMK or Skynyx.

The humble Toucam can still be useful once you step up. What I do is use the SPC900NC webcam to capture the colour and then use a DMK21 to capture the monochrome. I use a flip mirror to have quick changeover, flip mirrors are significantly cheaper than filterwheels.

As you know I have had some experience with LRGB imaging, so I find it easy to reintegrate the colour with the luminance. The fact that the colour is lower resolution matters little as the detail comes from the luminance image anyway. This setup also allows for different filters, you can screw an IR reject onto the front of the whole setup (the Barlow goes in front of the flip mirror), then a red filter infront of the DMK, no filter in front of the Toucam. I use a light orange filter in front of the DMK (reduces the blue light intensity, which is scattered the most by the atmosphere, blue subs are always blurry), but will be experimenting with a red filter soon. The only problem can be the alignment of the colour with the luminance, but hopefully you've got enough planetary detail to use as a guide.

The other advantage of this setup is that you don't have to be speedy Gonzales when imaging Jupiter, I usually capture the Luminance for about 5-10 minutes (several avi's), flip over to colour, grab a couple of avi's then flip back. The colour doesn't have to be that exact to give you the right result. However with RGB imaging the files need to be very close together or the R, G and B frames will never align properly.

JJJ, 10" or bigger is good if you want large image scale, 8" is OK, but you'll want to barlow 3x - 5x. The seeing is often not good enough to do this. The C11 hits a nice sweet spot between focal length and available seeing. A C14 or LX200ACF 14" would be great, but according to Damian Peach's website the seeing ir rarely good enough to show a difference between the C11 and C14. I think that's why he goes to Barbados.

Cheers
Stuart
Old 19-11-2009, 11:32 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman View Post
Hi Marc

You want an enclosed filter wheel. The filter slides won't be good when it's heavy dew etc.

You can get a manual filterwheel like the Atik's, or Atik also do auto ones.
Good point. I didn't think about dew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asimov View Post
I'd have to agree with Mike on this one. Jump straight in & don't muck about with webcams like the 840K & 900nc - They are good webcams don't get me wrong, but why learn with one of those when you can learn with either a Colour USB DBK or the USB mono DMK.

That's what I'd do if I had my time over again in any case.
Agreed I suspect I'd rather get the right tools rather than "easing" into it or it's going to cost me more in the long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rat156 View Post
Hi Marc,

The suggestion to start with the webcam is wise.
Thanks for the feedback and all the info Stuart. I'm going to use my existing imager and learn on the field before I move on to doing a more serious purchase. But if I decide I like it and I can "handle it" then I'll go for the DMK straight.
Old 20-11-2009, 08:59 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Actually found out today that I can use my Q-guider (QHY5) to take videos or even imaging. Took a bit of stuffing around with the drivers to make it work both in PHD (normal use) and a program called QGVideo. So I can get a decent frame rate and a pretty good resolution, save as fits or AVI. It's also mono. I think I'll have a play with that to start with. It's gotta be better than the neximage cam.
Old 20-11-2009, 09:09 PM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

Oh your in for a whole new world of pain, are you ready to get up at 3am to get the very best seeing? .
Old 20-11-2009, 09:12 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassnut View Post
Oh your in for a whole new world of pain, are you ready to get up at 3am to get the very best seeing? .
Should be easier to shoot couple of 100 frames in 30s in a sucker hole rather than trying to fit 10min subs in one? Unless I'm dreaming?... time will tell?
Old 21-11-2009, 01:39 AM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

go for it Marc
Yeah i know what ya mean i drool at the amazing pics in here all day long too good luck looking forward to seeing some pics from u in the future
Cheers
Old 21-11-2009, 07:47 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
go for it Marc
Yeah i know what ya mean i drool at the amazing pics in here all day long too good luck looking forward to seeing some pics from u in the future
Cheers
Ohaa! Thanks for the vote of confidence. No pressure Got to fall off the bed at 3:00am though
Old 21-11-2009, 09:30 AM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Ohaa! Thanks for the vote of confidence. No pressure Got to fall off the bed at 3:00am though
3am just dont go to bed at all hehe