Old 20-10-2015, 08:55 AM
Camknox (Cameron)

Flats

Hi folks,

I've been doing astrophotos for a bit now but I've never bothered with shooting flats, I sometimes use darks but not always. I've got myself a light box; homemade using an EL panel and some foam etc.

I've tried some sample shots and I'm not sure what I should be aiming for here. So with that in mind;

1. How long and what settings should I be exposing at? For example if my lights are 180s @ 800ISO f/0 my flats should be?

2. Is this a constant? I use APT for my image acquisition and it suggests a flat should be using the same ISO and I guess it determines the exposure time as it wont let me enter it.
Old 20-10-2015, 09:51 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Flats should be taken at the same ISO and optical configuration but the exposure time should just be as long as it takes to bring your histogram to 50-75% of saturation.
Old 20-10-2015, 11:14 AM
rustigsmed (Russell)

Hi cam,

Point to a blank part of the sky after sunset, turn the canon setting from manual to Av, and start snapping away. It will choose the exposure time automatically. Easy as!

Rusty