Old 22-01-2014, 11:12 AM
simmo

Ngc 2392, 3242, ic 4191

Date: 21/01/14
Time: 9-11pm
Instrument: 10" SW dobsonian
Conditions: still warm, night slight breeze towards the end, some altocumulus clouds
Seeing: nice night slight twinkling of stars at the start of the night but not quite perfect at 200x magnification
Eyepieces: 25, 12.5, 9, 6mm UO orthos, (67, 96, 133, 200x magnification)

Object: NGC 2392 PN (Eskimo)

Constellation: Gemini
Mag: 9.19
Size: 0.8 x 0.7 arcmin

Notes: small but nice PN with easily seen central star surrounded by its outer shell at higher magnification. Not much colour seen.

Object: NGC 3242 (Ghost of Jupiter)

Constellation: Hydra
Mag: 7.6
Size: 0.7 x 0.6 arcmin

Notes: easily seen PN even through the 50mm spotter scope. Very nice blue green colouring. This PN gets better the higher you go with magnification. Colour will fade but the details become more pronounced. You can see different variations of intensity of the cast off outer shell. At one point there was a moment perhaps that the inner star was visible with averted vision. Awesome to view at higher magnifications.

Object: IC 4191

Constellation: Musca
Mag: 10.6
Size: 0.3 x 0.2 arcmin

Notes: very small PN which was about the same size as the stars close by. This was more a test than anything. Not much detail or colour could be seen and perhaps a slight fuzzy edge at 200x magnification. Perfect PN for the blink test.

Comments: Another nice night for viewing apart from the mozzies at the start with no breeze to disperse them. Thought seeing lots of dragonflies at dusk was a good sign but nope. Probably the best was saved for last the ghost of Jupiter. Awesome. Actually hit it first up with the 6mm still in from the last PN and felt like i'd cheated a little. Dropped back to 25mm and worked my way back in to enjoy the increase in details and felt less guilty. Probably the biggest disappointment was NGC 3195 in chameleon that was talked up as being one of the most viewed PNs in the Southern Hemisphere (sky safari 4). Not much really there so must be one for the big boys that one. There were a couple of others but these were the standouts for the night. Sorry Malcolm couldn't get to m46 as it was covered with cloud.
Old 22-01-2014, 07:28 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Well done again Simmo and very nice descriptions in a well written report.
I have another target for you. IC 418 in Lepus. Probably ideally placed at the moment. See if you can see a red shell around it. May be beyond a 10" to see the colour but worth a try!

Malcolm
Old 23-01-2014, 10:18 PM
simmo

No worries Malcolm sounds like challenge. Up for it for sure. Will be out again this weekend so hopefully the skies stay clear.
Old 24-01-2014, 08:06 AM
glenc (Glen)
star-hopper

NGC 3195 was included in the Caldwell catalogue but does not deserve to be there.
Old 27-01-2014, 04:19 PM
simmo

Yeah tried again last night on 3195 with a larger scope and yes still a little underwhelming compared to others but as my observing friend was commenting last night it maybe one of the most viewed because it is harder to observe and find. I suppose this could be true.

Also Malcolm I could not see the red in ic 418. To me and my friend it seemed a little yellow last night in what appeared to be a perfect night. Nice PN too. My friend loaned me a 4.5 Delos for my 10 inch and the view was very captivating and crisp for the magnification. So thanks for the help in sourcing that PN, was well worth it.
Old 28-01-2014, 08:50 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

You are really going for some beautiful PNs there Simmo. If you go back to Musca, have a look at NGC 5189 if you've not already observed it. Very enjoyable notes - keep 'em coming!
Old 29-01-2014, 09:42 PM
simmo

Thanks Paddy I'm compiling another list to observe tonight so I'll put that one at the top. Looks like it should be another great night again so I'm trying to make the most of it before it gets colder/cloudier.
Old 31-01-2014, 04:35 PM
Bill.davey (Bill)

Thanks for your reports. I observed them last night and they are remarkable. After looking at the blue planetary I can understand why they were called planetarys. It looks a bit like Uranus.

I have a 10" GSO dob and a Meade lx200 10". With the lx200 I use Luminos on my ipad to control the scope through an Orion starseek wifi unit. It is a bit like cheating but sure saves time.

Bill
Old 03-02-2014, 12:12 AM
simmo

No worries Bill I hope you enjoyed the objects.

By the way don't feel as though your cheating. In some ways we are all cheating these days with our beaut scopes and electric gizmos. I can only imagine what the early astronomers would have been using. No doubt crusty old handwritten notes that looked like chicken scratches being just visible under candle light.

Cheers
Simmo