Old 03-06-2015, 08:38 AM
alocky (Andrew lockwood)
PI popular people's front

D810a

After ordering one of these back in March, I finally got the call yesterday. I'll pick it up later in the week here in Perth once I've found the highest paying bidder for half of my liver.
If the rains ever stop I'll bolt it onto the FSQ and see what it can do.
Anyone else in this asylum order one of these?
Cheers,
Andrew.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:31 PM
gregbradley

What are the differences between a standard 810 and the 810a?

Greg.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:59 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
What are the differences between a standard 810 and the 810a?

Greg.
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/578...ography-camera

but from the Nikon press release

In addition to the optimized IR cut filter, the D810A adds other features that are useful for astrophotography applications. A new Long Exposure Manual Mode is implemented, giving users the ability to set shutter speeds from 4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 30, 60, 120, 180, 240, 300, 600 or 900 seconds (15 minutes), as well as Bulb and Time settings. Building upon the D810’s excellent low-light capabilities, the ISO range has been optimized from 200 to 12,800 (Hi-2 51,200), for maximum sensitivity with the optimal signal to noise ratio.
The Best of Both Worlds
The Nikon D810A is based off of the Nikon D810 architecture and retains all of the features that make it a powerful tool for creating images. Users will be able to produce photos of the heavens in super high resolution thanks to the 36.3-megapixel CMOS sensor. The image sensor works in tandem with Nikon’s exclusive EXPEED 4 Image processing engine to deliver images with low noise and a dynamic range that is nothing short of stellar. The D810A also features an Electronic Front Curtain Shutter Mode, letting the electronic front curtain act as a shutter when in live view or first composing through the optical viewfinder in mirror-up mode. This feature minimizes vibrations to attain maximum sharpness when shooting subjects at very slow shutter speeds. The camera also features a durable magnesium alloy body that is sealed against dirt and moisture, giving users peace of mind when getting away from the city lights means a trek off of the beaten path.

The Nikon D810A is compatible with a wide range of high quality NIKKOR lenses and accessories, including wireless infrared remotes, cable releases and the new WR-1 wireless remote system. Additionally, Nikon’s Capture NX-D software is available as a free download, and it will feature a new option for Astro Noise Reduction for use with D810A image files.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:48 PM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

Am happy with what i can pull out of my D800e. Not convinced nikon are serious about AP, its one small step for them not a giant leap to me. Besides i'm using a Panasonic now anyway.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:55 PM
alocky (Andrew lockwood)

I'll pick it up today, and it will be interesting to compare with my D800, as I was never happy with the unmodded filter, but didn't want to mess up a perfectly good DSLR!
Should be a good match to the little Takahashi.
Cheers,
Andrew.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:24 PM
killswitch (Edison)

Interested to see some wide fields with this body.

Not sure why they kept the built-in flash... its not like you can strobe DSO's with it.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:32 AM
AnakChan (Sean)

A review of the D810a is already out comparing it to the D800E. I can't believe it makes the D800E look so noisy at the same ISO :-

http://blogg.astrofotografen.se/2015...0a-review.html

Furthermore, despite targeting for astrophotography, it looks like it's (almost) useable for daylight use too.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:11 AM
alocky (Andrew lockwood)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post
A review of the D810a is already out comparing it to the D800E. I can't believe it makes the D800E look so noisy at the same ISO :-

http://blogg.astrofotografen.se/2015...0a-review.html

Furthermore, despite targeting for astrophotography, it looks like it's (almost) useable for daylight use too.
I was experimenting last night with it - the noise at 12800iso is about the same as the d800 at 3200. NB this is with normal in camera NR on, and based on a visual inspection of the zoomed in screen image. No quantitative measure yet. Also, just mucking about with a lens with a normal uv/ir filter showed perfectly normal colours.
Hopefully the weather will clear in a week or two and I can try it out under a dark sky in the cold of winter.
cheers,
Andrew.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:55 AM
AnakChan (Sean)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alocky View Post
I was experimenting last night with it - the noise at 12800iso is about the same as the d800 at 3200. NB this is with normal in camera NR on, and based on a visual inspection of the zoomed in screen image. No quantitative measure yet. Also, just mucking about with a lens with a normal uv/ir filter showed perfectly normal colours.
Hopefully the weather will clear in a week or two and I can try it out under a dark sky in the cold of winter.
cheers,
Andrew.
Hi Andrew,

Don't suppose you could try with LENR disabled could you, please? That'll help validate if the review is accurate.

Cheers,
Sean
Old 04-06-2015, 12:02 PM
alocky (Andrew lockwood)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post
Hi Andrew,

Don't suppose you could try with LENR disabled could you, please? That'll help validate if the review is accurate.

Cheers,
Sean
Hi Sean - that was with high ISO NR only, not LE NR and a 120s exposure in a dark bedroom. In practice I will probably turn off the NR entirely and just use the normal calibrating and stacking I already do.
Old 04-06-2015, 02:07 PM
gregbradley

Sounds great. Finally a manufacturer has enabled you to do timed exposures longer than 30 seconds.

I think the noise difference between D810a and D800e is highly exaggerated. I had a D800e and it didn't look anything like that at ISO6400.

Also my current camera is a Sony A7r and its the same sensor as D810 and it also does not look that noisy either. Still it looks to be an improvement but if its just noise reduction its going to be blurring your images and you're best turning it off and doing normal callibrations.

Greg.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:10 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

I wish they'd stop bringing out new cameras just to tempt me

Look forward to your results under dark skies, Andrew.

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:52 AM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

I have one sitting here kindly on loan from Nikon, but it's been rubbish weather here in Melb for three weeks now! Hoping to get it out next weekend for a trial.
Old 08-06-2015, 04:35 PM
alocky (Andrew lockwood)

Hopefully you will be in a position to share your thoughts on it- I know I'm a little biased, but so far see a significant inprovement over the D800 for Astro work.
Half your luck - it must be nice too have manufacturers throwing kit at you!
Cheers,
Andrew.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:18 AM
Meru (Michael)
More stars please!

How exciting Andrew! It is crazy how much better the ISO performance is of the 810a over the 800. I paid a premium being one of the first to get my 800 in Victoria, and now wish I had the money to get the 810a

I'd be very interested in it's real world (non-astro) performance, not just colour balance but how well lenses can bring images into focus with the spectrum-modded filter.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:12 AM
alocky (Andrew lockwood)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meru View Post
How exciting Andrew! It is crazy how much better the ISO performance is of the 810a over the 800. I paid a premium being one of the first to get my 800 in Victoria, and now wish I had the money to get the 810a

I'd be very interested in it's real world (non-astro) performance, not just colour balance but how well lenses can bring images into focus with the spectrum-modded filter.
That's easy - the 810s AF system is slightly better than the 800, and there is no anti-alias filter (like the 800e), so with any of the 3 lenses I've usually got on there it's slightly quicker, and seems to work a bit better in low light. Images are sharper than the d800 when you zoom in to pixel scale because of the lack of an AA filter.
Cheers,
Andrew
Old 09-06-2015, 09:19 AM
Meru (Michael)
More stars please!

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the info, I didn't know that the AA filter was removed. My concern was that since the Ha emission line is towards the IR range, lenses might not be able to bring this wavelength to focus correctly and thus may give the objects a 'fuzzy' appearance at pixel level. Probably me overthinking/worrying

PS your first light image is great for a single sub!
Old 10-06-2015, 04:31 PM
gregbradley

It also should be an awesome nightscape camera.

Greg.