Old 11-01-2017, 04:24 PM
rcheshire (Rowland)

Crayford focuser for FS60CB

Hi.

I have never used a Crayford focuser and seeking advice for fitting to a Takahashi FS60CB (imaging set up). I have read that some Crayford's prevent forward focus with the Tak. It would need to be compatible with standard adapters, reducer and flattener.

Can I expect proper alignment of the camera and scope in practise?

Last edited by rcheshire; 11-01-2017 at 05:33 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:29 PM
rcheshire (Rowland)

Feathertouch light looks to be the go...
Old 11-01-2017, 11:06 PM
DJT (David)

Hi Richard
I munted the focuser on my fs60 and am replacing it with a feather touch light I had for a different project. Waiting for Wayne to finish making the adapter which allows you to connect the various takettes. There is also another adapter which connects the FT to the OTA

Will let you know how it goes.
Old 12-01-2017, 06:43 AM
rcheshire (Rowland)

Thanks David. No rush on this and interested to see how it all goes together.

Rowland
Old 18-01-2017, 07:26 AM
rcheshire (Rowland)

A few more inquiries tends to indicate a preference for R&P focusers for imaging. Although, Steeltrack Crayford's have a good wrap.

The friction screw seems to be part of the problem, pushing the draw tube out of alignment as well as a little lateral slop, even when the screw is tight. A stepper driven focus mechanism could lock the pinion in place without use of the friction screw.

The lateral slop, though small, may require either refurbishing the focuser and reducing clearances or the addition of some sort of compensating mechanism.

I guess the little Takker was not designed with heavy imaging equipment in mind.

Last edited by rcheshire; 18-01-2017 at 09:35 PM.
Old 18-01-2017, 09:10 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Crayford - don't expect it to hold much of a camera. Stay with the Tak R&P, adjust it properly, and you have a SUPERB focuser (I have tweaked mine to be as smooth as silk on all my Taks and prior Taks). Add the Tak MEF3 reduction unit, and you get a beautiful 2 speed R&P. Or buy the Feathertouch Micropinion (which reuses the Tak pinion anyway) and you have a 2 speed R&P that is not quite as good as an original (I find FT puts too much backlash on the reduction unit and its a pain to adjust it due to them loctiting it!). I found the standard Tak R&P held a 5kg imaging rig without issue. The crayford...not a chance.

I have had FT's crayford on FS60's, and whilst convenient adapter wise, it would NOT hold weight, and nor would it forward travel even with a slightly heavy eyepiece despite adjustment.
Old 18-01-2017, 09:34 PM
rcheshire (Rowland)

Thanks Lewis. That is the conclusion I'm coming to. Will work on improving the R&P.