Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17-06-2020, 01:03 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Eagle Nebula HA start

Put the 115 mm back on the heq5 and reduced trails such that I could get one minute unguided..Checked the first 30 minutes but next check it seems cloud came in after I went back inside..so only had 37 subs..for fun and practice stacked them in DSS processed in Startools and had a fiddle in Photoshop and Gimp. Only need about another six hours of data but I wanted to see how the 115 mm would go.. I have not been able to use it much since I got it...

I don't know why but even at the high gain there was not too much noise.
Gear became dripping wet so I bought the scope and camera in rather than lock them up in such a condition.

The colour is via colouring in..

alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (eagle.jpg)
203.3 KB121 views
Old 17-06-2020, 01:27 AM
PKay (Peter)

Nice one mate...
Old 17-06-2020, 07:51 AM
Sunfish (Ray)

Very dark and stormy view. Brings up the interesting swirling dust lanes In the whole field.
Old 17-06-2020, 09:05 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thirty minutes I worked out were actually stacked but I will start again doing it right..correct gain, guiding, ...at least I will if I can make any progress with the to do list..I mean to and I want to but instead of improving stuff on a clear night I just can't help trying to take photos with whatever is working.
Alex
Old 17-06-2020, 09:20 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Nice image Alex and great detail in there , I particularly like the colours , gives it a wild stormy feel or horror movie feel
Well done !!
Old 18-06-2020, 06:43 AM
Fernando

Hi Alex. Really great. I do feel like the Eagle "is flying"!!!

Regards, Fernando
Old 23-06-2020, 01:26 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thank you Martin Thank you Fernando.
Have not had my power working as it should..rain and a non working genny. Anyways yesterday got sun and a new plark plug so was able to get more Ha data last night and try the RBG pproach in star tools...I only had one channel, Ha, so I produced 4 slightly different images to have something to try out...anywys I seem to have learnt something new so very happy..this is the result which is just more Ha than last time. But I want to see if there is more detail...colours are still off but I will gt better now tht I know what to do..a little....hopefully tonight will get real O11 and S11 and have a real go...it was rather good last night no dew for a change...
another 2 hours of data did not seem to help...now that I have power I am going to try the new approach with old data.
alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (eaglerbg.jpg)
208.5 KB46 views
Old 23-06-2020, 03:22 PM
JA

Nice Image Alex - It's very other worldly

Best
JA
Old 24-06-2020, 11:54 AM
ChrisV (Chris)

Nice Alex. The only time I've done this I somehow managed to behead the poor bird ...
Old 24-06-2020, 05:52 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thank you JA and thank you Chris.
I have nearly completed my first genuine LSHO image using Startools and hope to post the result shortly ..I will do a new thread.

I am rather happy with StarTools as my data although from a dark site is way over on gain and no dark used but StarTools seems to remove the noise rather well..well it does..I mean I go up to 450 gain which is crazy according to any table that I have looked at....but I still have no guiding and exposures are only one minute and so I crank up the gain past where it should be...StarTools must have had a fool like me in mind given the way it reduces noise ..you should see my stuff before noise reduction in StarTools...I expect my noise is still bad but happily it is at my stage of ignorance just not there anymore...The more I work with StarTools the more impressed I am..it is really a great program.
The LRGB thing I am doing at the moment in Startools seems to be producing great results even though a mug is at the wheel. I hope I dont give Startools a bad name but it just seems to have deeper levels each time I use it..I think it is a great program and probably much better than the price would indicate.
Anyways the cake is in the oven right now and shortly I will post a result...but any issues will be mine not StarTools..it's like this program is for beginners who can take it to any level way past their competence...
This is so exciting ..it's nearly done.
Alex

Last edited by xelasnave; 24-06-2020 at 06:18 PM.
Old 24-06-2020, 05:58 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Alex
Beautiful Eagle with so much detail and contrast
Well done !
Have you tried the Life module in Startools ? It can reduce background noise and enhance your main object prior to switching off tracking and doing your final noise reduction
I use it 90% of the time
Cheers
Martin
Old 24-06-2020, 07:19 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Alex
Beautiful Eagle with so much detail and contrast
Well done !
Have you tried the Life module in Startools ? It can reduce background noise and enhance your main object prior to switching off tracking and doing your final noise reduction
I use it 90% of the time
Cheers
Martin
Hi Martin
I use it but go usually for the "less is more" opition...that is so me..just in the title of a tool in Startools its title embodies ones philosophical approach to life, mine that is and isnt it true less is more ..how many times have I won the game that I am playing with that approach..so it seems it was written for me...mind you some folk could say it does not fit my style at all..well they dont know me and fail to look too deep.

Sometimes it works sometimes not...but as I said I really work with very poor data given the short exposures and the high gain and the general incompetence that is me.
My data is so bad you would not believe..honestly...I have had times where I have to choose the brightness only option in the wipe function cause normal destroys what little is there...I con myself thinking I am photographing stuff that only trickery will pull out any detail..and that is close to the truth...short exposures have forced me to be tricky.
Nearly there with my real image but the data was really poor but StarTools will save me..should have a result in an hour.
Alex
Old 25-06-2020, 01:19 AM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

Impressive Alex. Ray took the words right out of my mouth. Dark and stormy were the first two things that came to mind for me as well. A very moody image and a nice piece of art. Well done.