Old 22-04-2009, 07:00 PM
trick

Recomended SD Memory Card

What type of card would I need for a canon 1000d? any suggestions on brands or capacity for astro work?
Old 22-04-2009, 07:35 PM
acropolite (Phil)

Shopping square have good prices on flash memory, I recently bought a couple of Kingston 16Gb cards after a recommendation from a photographer mate. Their prices are excellent, freight reasonable and they don't sell dodgy cards.

It's worth noting that the larger the card, the longer it will take to transfer to your PC. Look for a transfer rate of at least 15Mb/s, at that speed a full 2Gb card will take around 15 minutes to transfer to your HDD. If you're after some fast add on storage they also have 1Tb Astone external eSATA/USB drives at just $159
Old 22-04-2009, 07:55 PM
trick

Thanks Phil
Old 22-04-2009, 08:33 PM
tlgerdes (Trevor)
Love the moonless nights!

Hi Trick

I just (last week) purchased a 1000d TKIS with 4Gb Transcend SDHC card, $1119 delivered. The card is a "Class 6" which rates it as a minimum of 6Mbs. Haven't found a latency issue with it so far, but for my astro work I use the Canon utility to control shutter and save RAW direct to my laptop.

I think any of the major brands are good, but get a Class 6 card.

Cam $1092, SD card $18, deliv $9.

Trev
Old 22-04-2009, 09:38 PM
trick

Thanks Trev, class 6 is any sdhc card? in lieu of a sd card?
Old 22-04-2009, 10:15 PM
rat156

Nice tip for the shopping site. I'm in the market for more memory for a video camera and the Nikon.

Are you sure it'll take that long to download a full 2Gb card?

I have an 8Gb in my Nikon and that certainly doesn't take an hour to dowloadn a full card. It's only a Sandisk UltraII card, so it's nothing special.

Cheers
Stuart
Old 22-04-2009, 11:00 PM
rogerg (Roger)

I just received a Sandisk Extreme III which has transfer speeds of 20Mb/s, class 6. A bit more expensive than lesser cards of the same capacity, so hopefully worth it.
Old 22-04-2009, 11:16 PM
Benny L (Ben)

anything from sandisk or lexar.. using sandisk extreme IV atm.. nice and quick!
Old 23-04-2009, 04:59 AM
tlgerdes (Trevor)

Hi trick

Yes, SDHC Class 6 in any vendor is rated at min 6Mbs. Go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SD_card for more info.

I used http://www.staticice.com.au to find the price for camera was cheapest from HBOutlet in Syd. The pricing changes from day to day based on retailer specials.

Trev
Old 23-04-2009, 07:17 AM
acropolite (Phil)

Quote:
Are you sure it'll take that long to download a full 2Gb card?
Do the arithmetic, 15Mbits/s is (the key word here is bits) 15/8Mbytes per second (roughly excluding any parity bits etc) which is just under 2Mbytes per second = 120Mb per minute 2Gb\120mB is roughly 17 minutes thats without taking in to account any handhaking or parity bits etc. In practice my 15Mb/s speed card transfers slightly faster than that.
Old 23-04-2009, 09:44 PM
trick

Thanks all
Old 26-06-2009, 08:19 PM
acropolite (Phil)

Quote:
Do the arithmetic, 15Mbits/s is (the key word here is bits) 15/8Mbytes per second (roughly excluding any parity bits etc) which is just under 2Mbytes per second = 120Mb per minute 2Gb\120mB is roughly 17 minutes thats without taking in to account any handhaking or parity bits etc. In practice my 15Mb/s speed card transfers slightly faster than that.
I'm going to contradict myself here, while the arithmetic is sound, cards are actually rated at MBytes/second, If you get a fast USB or firewire card reader that same 2Gb will transfer in under a couple of minutes. The slow transfer rates I have measured are due to poor reader performance particularly from the inbuilt card readers.
I bought a Sandisk Imagemate USB2.0 reader writer the other day and the performance is outstanding. The reader will take all common card types and can transfer at up to 34MB/s
Old 30-06-2009, 07:42 AM
White Rabbit
Space Cadet

I have the same camera, and I only use the laptop for storage. You'll probably end up doing the same in the end. It's easier plus you can set your exposure lengths and the amount of exposures you want to take from the canon utility, you cant do that from the camera it's self, you will need some kind of remote to do multiple exposures. I bought a remote from ebay for about $60 before I realized that the laptop software does it for you. Its still hand to have the remote though as you can do timelapse photography with and you dont need to lug a laptop around with you.

Check out the canan soft ware before you buy a card then decide what size you need.
Old 30-06-2009, 11:38 AM
toryglen-boy (Duncan)
Scotland to Australia

Trev, go to the local computer fair, i went to the one in Woden a few weeks ago, and got a 16Gb card for $56

Old 30-06-2009, 12:51 PM
tlgerdes (Trevor)

See the thing is, that at 16GBytes, that's an awful lot of photos...... to lose.

4GB gives me 750 jpegs for everyday photography, why would I want 3000 photos on my camera. Even if I do raw on the card, 4Gb it is still like 250 photos.
Old 30-06-2009, 02:30 PM
toryglen-boy (Duncan)
Scotland to Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgerdes View Post
See the thing is, that at 16GBytes, that's an awful lot of photos...... to lose.

4GB gives me 750 jpegs for everyday photography, why would I want 3000 photos on my camera. Even if I do raw on the card, 4Gb it is still like 250 photos.
Two points on this.

1. 1Gb, 4Gb, or 16Gb, i wouldnt want to lose anything! but if your camera takes movies, especially hi-def movies, then its a handy thing to have, also handy for huge chucks of files around from one PC to the next.

2. Men are obssessed with numbers, why have 4Gb, when 16Gb is not more expensive, can store more, has infinitely more uses, and gives me more testosterone into the bargain

Old 30-06-2009, 03:32 PM
tlgerdes (Trevor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toryglen-boy View Post

2. Men are obssessed with numbers, why have 4Gb, when 16Gb is not more expensive, can store more, has infinitely more uses, and gives me more testosterone into the bargain
I mustn't be blessed with testosterone like you Dunc, I come from the "do more, with less" camp.
Old 30-06-2009, 03:54 PM
toryglen-boy (Duncan)
Scotland to Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgerdes View Post
I mustn't be blessed with testosterone like you Dunc, I come from the "do more, with less" camp.
A very astute observation,

Coming from Glasgow, i have adopted the "do less, as there is loads, so lets others do more for you" approach