Old 17-03-2013, 11:10 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

ATIK 383L+ Color CCD Camera

Hi all,
I may/should have 2-3 weeks casual work up near Cairns in a couple of months ? So am already thinking about a dedicated Astro Camera
I am so sick of wasting time with Dslr ICNR dark frames

Been looking & reading up at just about every sought in the Single Shot Colour range ! As I dont want to go down the Mono-chrome Path : )

I kinda like the specs on this particular model : The ATIK 383L+colour CCD and will be well within my price range if I go Cairns ?

Apart from the popular Kodak KAF-8300 sensor, it is quite light, draws only 2.5amps and will have an OAG for it soon ! !

Here is the Link : http://www.optcorp.com/atik-383l-ccd...00-sensor.html

Any opinions/comparisons on this particular models specs would be of much interest !
Rgrds ,,
Old 18-03-2013, 12:26 AM
naskies (Dave)

Hi Bob,

I think there are several IISers with that camera who are very happy. If budget's a concern, you may also want to check out the colour QHY9 - only $1,650 from Melbourne.

The SBIG STF-8300C is a nice camera that has 1 second full-frame downloads. I have the mono version and I can effectively focus with a Bhat mask in real-time using full-frame downloads (the 383L+ has 10 sec full frame downloads) - though I usually use the faster focus/crop modes. The dedicated OAG-8300 is very nice, but quite expensive on its own or as part of a package.

I'm told the QSI equivalent is very nice too, but I don't know much about it.
Old 18-03-2013, 09:57 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Hey Thanx for all that Dave, the S-big is another very nice option, fairly heavy buggar, great features tho,, lots to look over and learn about these dedicated cameras ?

A couple of things I'm not understanding tho, if anyone would like to elaberate :
Q1) What are External accessible dessicant plugs for ?
Q2) Is read out noise & Dark signal the same thing ?

Thanx ,,
Old 18-03-2013, 10:40 PM
Shiraz (Ray)

q1 to dry out the air in the vicinity of the CCD and stop condensation on the cold chip or window

q2 read out noise is a once off noise added to each pixel signal when it is read out from the chip - mainly due to the output amplifier and influenced by readout rate and temperature. Read noise is the most important noise parameter in a CCD spec because it is unavoidable - every time you read out a pixel signal you get read noise. generally given as electrons (RMS)

dark signal is thermally generated charge that has the same characteristics as real signal (eg it builds up as you increase exposure time), but it appears independently of the light falling on the chip - it's even generated when there is no light at all. Depends very much on the CCD technology and it can be reduced by cooling the chip, often to the point where it is insignificant. generally given as electrons/s/pixel for a given temperature.

Last edited by Shiraz; 21-03-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Old 19-03-2013, 10:58 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Thanx Ray, that is very clear & well explained mate,,
Appreaciate your time & effort on this
Old 20-08-2013, 11:11 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Just bumping this so I dont loose it again , , it was about 10 pages back. I will be adding further relevant post in the near future regarding various CCD's which will be initially aimed at which CCDs can be bought from within Australia without the huge currant 10-12% Exchange rate from the US & shipping, plus other expences which can add upto another $1000 on the CCD's Ive been interested in, these are basically the single shot colors with the 8300 kodak chip !
These types of CCD's can also be narrowed down as I would like to consider a built in OAG ! But, blow me down, SBig want near 1300 just for the OAG, thats a real turn-off in my books, there has to be a better option ? ?

Appreciate any further advice/discussion etc !
Rgrds
Bob . . .
Old 20-08-2013, 11:53 PM
Manav (Yugant)
Resident Rigel fanboy

If budget is main concern you would be better off with the QHY option as you can get a separate OAG + Camera setup (That's what I have).

Atik is pretty good they have their own OAG (Which is pretty big and quite well built).

To be honest I would go mono as it gives you more options.
Old 21-08-2013, 12:03 AM
Tandum (Robin)

I'd go the sbig stf8300 colour. I don't know of a single qhy9 colour in the country and the atik only has single stage cooling and that's a PITA, I got one. The STF is dual stage. With dual stage you can run the same temp all year round, like -20C. With single stage you will only achieve -10C and maybe -20C on a cold winters night. That sbig OAG will prolly fit on as well if you need it and for $1300 I'd expect a guide camera. Their STi has a shutter which is really handy, trust me. But prolly any OAG/camera could be made to fit.

Last edited by Tandum; 21-08-2013 at 12:14 AM.
Old 21-08-2013, 06:11 AM
PRejto (Peter)

You might want to at least compare the Moravian G2-8300C in the mix as it is very cost effective:

http://www.myastroshop.com.au/moravian/index.htm

I have the mono camera and it is quite good with 2 stage cooling. Downloads are not super fast...

Peter

Last edited by PRejto; 21-08-2013 at 06:50 AM.
Old 21-08-2013, 06:36 AM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Hi,

FWIW I can vouch for the SBIG 8300c.

I got mine here on the trader 6 months ago that I'm getting nice results from (after learning heaps). The build quality is superb and it's a great quality camera.

As mentioned the shutter is handy and cooling is controllable. I use the $400 Orion Miniguidescope package with it.
Cheers Andy
Old 21-08-2013, 08:08 AM
rustigsmed (Russell)

hi bob,

i know you are asking about CCDs but if you're on a budget you could consider cool&astro modding your 600d. http://www.centralds.net/cam/
Think its about $1100. The results look fairly amazing and i'm not sure you'd get much extra benefit from a OSC CCD at that price.

cheers

rusty
Old 21-08-2013, 08:25 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manav View Post
If budget is main concern you would be better off with the QHY option as you can get a separate OAG + Camera setup (That's what I have).

Atik is pretty good they have their own OAG (Which is pretty big and quite well built).

To be honest I would go mono as it gives you more options.
Appreciate your input Yugant Budget is always a concern, and options can get around that ? I found the ATIK OAG & it is quite appealing with the 2" barrel & inclusion of three different sized spacers Thanx for your suggestive leads, I have them onboard
Old 21-08-2013, 09:24 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandum View Post
I'd go the sbig stf8300 colour. I don't know of a single qhy9 colour in the country and the atik only has single stage cooling and that's a PITA, I got one. The STF is dual stage. With dual stage you can run the same temp all year round, like -20C. With single stage you will only achieve -10C and maybe -20C on a cold winters night. That sbig OAG will prolly fit on as well if you need it and for $1300 I'd expect a guide camera. Their STi has a shutter which is really handy, trust me. But prolly any OAG/camera could be made to fit.
Cheers for this Robin, yes, without dealing directly OS, the options dwindle considerably, tho may be considered if need, tho not too confident about doing that myself, tho I do however have a freind that can help if decide to go that way I also stand corrected with the STF OAG for approx 1300, just been looking and yes, I believe this price does include the guide camera, wow, just picked up the heartbeat I lost when I thought it was only the OAG, Lol, Thanx for that one & the Sbig is back on the 'consider list'
Appreciate your reply Robin . .
Old 21-08-2013, 10:20 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRejto View Post
You might want to at least compare the Moravian G2-8300C in the mix as it is very cost effective:

http://www.myastroshop.com.au/moravian/index.htm

I have the mono camera and it is quite good with 2 stage cooling. Downloads are not super fast...

Peter
Hey thanx Peter, I did see these the other day & you have nudge me to take another look, Im quite impressed with the cooling which I consider as quite a large factor, speshly with summer nights! Ive been reading that the 'Dark Current' is halved every 5-6degs cooler, this also must reduce other noises ? DSLR's are hopeless on summer nights
I quite like the looks of the SIPS Software package too, each control window in a seperate Tab, infact, this Moravian CCD web page is the only one ive seen with 'screen snips of the software control, which is very thoughtfull & helpful
I'm actually quite liking this Moravian instrument Easy to purchase too, as I have delt with the Astroshop up here before, and is quite good.
Tho I need to find a bit more about them when I find the time , ,
Thanx again for your input Peter
Old 21-08-2013, 10:32 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post
Hi,

FWIW I can vouch for the SBIG 8300c.

I got mine here on the trader 6 months ago that I'm getting nice results from (after learning heaps). The build quality is superb and it's a great quality camera.

As mentioned the shutter is handy and cooling is controllable. I use the $400 Orion Miniguidescope package with it.
Cheers Andy
Cheers Andy They are indeed Built & perform very well, The mechanical shutter is an advantage and something I need to compare with other CCD's with this 8300 chip ? so much to go through, but ill get there one day, Measure twice and cut once is a good Moto
Appreciate your input
Old 21-08-2013, 10:45 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustigsmed View Post
hi bob,

i know you are asking about CCDs but if you're on a budget you could consider cool&astro modding your 600d. http://www.centralds.net/cam/
Think its about $1100. The results look fairly amazing and i'm not sure you'd get much extra benefit from a OSC CCD at that price.

cheers

rusty
Cheers Russel, A good option for some, but I like the Idea of a dedicated astro imager, and keep the Dslr stock for terrestrial stuff and even for quick astro stuff, also, if went the cool dslr path, one would most likely discard the IR block filter to get the most from it for astro, but then Im left thinking what this would do with the Video capture So, I doubt Ill go the cool dslr road, Thanx for the reply and link tho Russel, I do appreciate it
Old 22-08-2013, 12:05 AM
Tandum (Robin)

Bob, all 8300 cameras must have a mechanical shutter, some are better than others. I was referring to the STi sbig guide camera, I believe it also has a shutter.
Old 22-08-2013, 08:15 AM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Yes, Interesting Robin, Re: Shutter on STI, Have read that one can do darkframes whist guiding & I wonder how this would be advantageous as Ive never actually used one,, just as a matter of interest mate
Old 22-08-2013, 06:29 PM
Tandum (Robin)

Simple, you don't have to plug the scope to take a dark for the guide camera. Really handy for remote operation.
Old 23-08-2013, 07:35 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer