Old 11-11-2006, 01:38 PM
John K

Best place to buy Canon 350D or 400D body?

Hi everyone,

I am currently looking for a Canon 350D or 400D body. AThe prices here in Australia can be as high as 40-50% than compared to the U.S. or Asia so just wondering where the best place would be to be able to buy one these units over the internet and that ships internationally?

and where you may have purchased your unit without any problems.

John K.

p.s. have already had one fraudulent internet place try to get me to wire funds to them to an address in Europe which ended up being a hotel in Rome! Caveat Emptor indeed!
Old 11-11-2006, 01:48 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I have been in Sydney and did the rounds. Its a lot of work and they stand firm on prices but the best I could get a 400d black body was $1250 with a gig card thrown in. I did not buy it only because I think I will get an eq6 first. I recon Fletcher Photographics were not bad, the salesamn was a very good closer ..one mob held at their price and it still sounded as they were doing me a favour at hundreds of dollars more... give me your cash and I will buy you one... Go to each store and haggle its not the money you save its the fun of the hunt.
alex
Old 11-11-2006, 01:48 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Andrew should this thread be better placed elsewhere?
Old 11-11-2006, 01:55 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

and a tip with salespeople..be wary of those who do not ask for what purpose you will use the product..it indicates they dont care and are not on the ball ..if they are on the ball they will negotiate with a genuine buyer.
alex
Old 11-11-2006, 02:20 PM
avandonk
avandonk

The only problem with buying overseas is the guarantee. You will have to ship it back if anything goes wrong. Buy the body locally and get the safety of a decent guarantee and local avenues for fixing any problems. The grey market does not have this. What good is a few hundred dollars saved if you end up witha dead camera that no one will fix. We have more stringent consumer rules and the price reflects this.

What do you want to use it for mainly.

Bert
Old 11-11-2006, 02:37 PM
John K

Quote:
Originally Posted by avandonk
The only problem with buying overseas is the guarantee. You will have to ship it back if anything goes wrong. Buy the body locally and get the safety of a decent guarantee and local avenues for fixing any problems. The grey market does not have this. What good is a few hundred dollars saved if you end up witha dead camera that no one will fix. We have more stringent consumer rules and the price reflects this.

What do you want to use it for mainly.

Bert
Thanks for this info.

The camera will be used for prime focus and piggyback stuff.

Bert you make a good point. Having worked for Canon in more than 10 years ago I am prepared to buy o/s however only only because I know the quality of the gear but also because a $300-$400 saving is worth the trouble of sending it back if something goes wrong. I have felt that the gear is overpriced due to the low volumes but at the end of the day it comes from the same factory.
Old 11-11-2006, 02:54 PM
avandonk
avandonk

If that is the case go for a Hutech modified camera with UV/IR filter. You WILL get one in the end if you are serious. The H Alpha sensitivity is a must for astrophotography. I found with my unmodded 20D that any faint H Alpha was at noise level due to the attenuation of the 'standard' filter. I now use my 20D for taking pictures of the 5DH in action and general photography. I will not part with the 20D as it is a superb camera. Just not enough H Alpha sensitivity.

Bert
Old 11-11-2006, 04:02 PM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave
Andrew should this thread be better placed elsewhere?
Thanks Alex !

John if you don't mind, I might move it to the Camera section, might get more exposure there.

Pardon the pun.

Old 11-11-2006, 11:57 PM
Calin
Space Anomaly

Best I have seen so far in Oz is:
http://www.camera-warehouse.com.au/p...400D-BLACKBODY
At $1149 body only, I have been looking for some time. Though this site states this particular offer is out of stock - "Delivery Overdue", so you might be in for a bit of a wait at 4+ weeks. Being this close so Christmas it might not be available till January from this supplier.

PS: They also offer the cash-back offer from Canon Australia on some "L" series lenses if you buy the camera as well, I've been eyeing off the EF 17-40mm L USM F4 wide field at $350 off, good for piggy-back. The cash back offer is only being offered till the 17th January.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:42 AM
Harb
CCD's by the Dozen

Try.............

http://www.d-d-photographics.com.au/

Really worth a look at, I have brought heaps of stuff here and he has great deals.....don't worry about warranty isues as he covers everything.
From my experience you'd be unlucky to need it anyway...........
Old 12-11-2006, 08:39 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I have been to at least 7 different shops and they all say the 400ds are selling like "hot cakes" still only three stores could not produce a black body for a sale at that point.
alex
Old 17-11-2006, 07:56 PM
Rob

Question Australian ebay stores?

I'm thinking of upgrading to the 400d, although realistically I don't think I can afford it for a while. I'm currently using an old film SLR, also have a new starshoot lpi.

I noticed there are a couple of Australian-based Ebay stores which look to have good prices for the 400d:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Brand-New-Can...QQcmdZViewItem
and
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Brand-New-Can...QQcmdZViewItem
for $1200-$1250, including an 18-55mm lens.

Does anyone have much experience buying from ebay stores? I would be nervous about buying from overseas as well but maybe an Australian-based ebay store would be easier to deal with in case of warranty claims?

Rob
Old 17-11-2006, 11:53 PM
Talon Karrde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
Does anyone have much experience buying from ebay stores? I would be nervous about buying from overseas as well but maybe an Australian-based ebay store would be easier to deal with in case of warranty claims?

Rob
I got my camera from an Ebay Store (www.cametacamera.com) and had fantastic service. I don't know any austrailian ones I can recommend to you, but the prices you linked looked comparable to what I paid in the USA.

You do need to make sure they are an authorized dealer so that your warranty is valid though. I think Ebay in general has a bad reputation, but the individual stores that do business there are usually pretty high quality. Cameta is local to me which also speeded up shipping. Ordered camera Monday, got it Thursday.

-TK
Old 19-11-2006, 09:00 AM
John K

Thanks TK,

excellent info. Have been in touch with Cameta and together with shipping and insurance a 400D body works out to $986.00. This is a saving of $160 from buying it here in OZ or around 10%, not as much as I would have liked but good anyway.

Considering the second hand 350D body I was bidding for on e-bay went for like $700! it's defenitely the way I'll be going!

And looks like I will start of with a Sigma 17-70 lens. At $430 it's fantastic value for money and will upgrade to a Canon later.

Looked at the Hutec cameras, results look fantastic, but it ends up doubling the cost of the camera. Being only a newbie, and wanting to also do lots of terrestial stuff, this will do for the time being.