Old 06-10-2010, 12:14 AM
Tandum (Robin)

Qhy11

The QHY11 is released. Based on the kodak 11002 sensor and is priced at US$4xxx.

Info on software, distance to sensor, front thread etc etc is not forthcoming from the manufacturer. Looks like nothing but trouble

Last edited by Tandum; 06-10-2010 at 10:34 AM.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:35 AM
Alchemy (Clive)
Quietly watching

That's an odd conclusion, with little evidence, you have the possibility of being right but haven't said why. Other than I don't know final details which will no doubt come.
It has been in the wings for a looooong time this camera, but its a chip that been around a long time, 4k is probably where it would have been anyway, one another iis member bought ( not qhy, was around that sort of mark I think)
They have other offerings in the wings, qhy12 which looks interesting, there was a thread only recently about the Aussie qhy dealer Gama praising him for his level of service, to which I agreed, give him a chance to get the details up, and given previous service I expect you will be well looked after.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:38 AM
Tandum (Robin)

I changed it from dealer to manufacturer, AFAIK Theo is away all week.
But if you where releasing a new camera, wouldn't you make sure the info on your website didn't show a camera from a 2 year old design and at least had drivers for it up for download? I talking about the manufacturers site, the camera was released a week ago.

Last edited by Tandum; 06-10-2010 at 11:08 AM.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:03 AM
Hagar (Doug)

OOOOOOOH. Thats a little unfair Robin. Just because the camera is announced as released doesn't mean any distributor has any in stock as yet and first models may well have not left the factory. No point issuing drivers until the camera has shipped.
As for Theo's web site and the older version of the QHY11 you will note the page is under construction and I can assure you Theo will not bring the QHY11 into Australia until it has proven it worth and functionality. Not worth the hassels to him to release an un tested/proven camera.

I do however believe the QHY11 will be released in a similar format to the QHY8 Pro in a round body and should be a very interesting camera with cooling surpassing many of the simillar cameras on the market today.
Interesting to wait and see what comes of it all. Theo is only protecting his valued customers with the delay in Australian release.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:35 AM
marki
Waiting for next electron

Yes Robin, I have to agree with Doug here. Theo will not import anything until he is sure it will work and most of the bugs are sorted. I know this as I sent him an email a couple of months ago asking about the new planetary camera's and their possible use for guiding duties (cooled and CCD). He replied he would bring them in once they had been tested and all the bugs sorted not before (the kind folks in the US will do that for us ) . You seem very keen on this camera mate, be a little patient some of us have been waiting 2 years.

Cheers

Mark
Old 06-10-2010, 05:04 PM
spearo (Frank)
accepts all donations

Doug is right

Theo is EXTREMELY conscientious

nothing but positive feedback
frank
Old 06-10-2010, 06:10 PM
mill (Martin)
sword collector

Robin just because you had trouble with an qhy camera doesnt mean we had.
In my opinion, your trouble with an qhy camera made you very anti biased against QHY camera's.
The only thing i have to admit to is that manufacturer AND dealers are very vague about accessories and that you always have to call to see if they have them.
QHY camera's are cheap and very good (do you ever see that many adjustments in drivers from other manufacturers ? ).
The only wish i have is that dealers would put the accessories on their websites so we know what is available.
I will not buy any accessories untill they are on the website (that is just me, also websites without prices i give a miss).
Old 06-10-2010, 06:23 PM
Tandum (Robin)

I don't know how any of you can equate me drawing attention to a camera which is released without any mechanical drawings or drivers as an attack on or bias against anyone. I simply stated the facts and if you don't think it sounds like trouble, then there's something wrong with you. And for your info Martin, my qhy9 is back for repair again, 3rd time's the charm?
Old 06-10-2010, 06:45 PM
mill (Martin)
sword collector

Robin you must be very unlucky with that camera then, because i sort of abuse mine by leaving it outside in the sun and sometimes rain and it doesn't fail or even ice up at -20 or more.
My QHY5 is has lost almost all colour on the body because of the sun
I just had an look at the Sbig website but i dont see any mechanical drawings of their models.
Mr QHY has had more full mechanical drawings than most manufacturers on the forum or on his website.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:52 PM
mill (Martin)
sword collector

PS: the QHY11 will be based on the QHY16.
http://qhyccd.com/ccdbbs/index.php?P...b&topic=1653.0

As said on the QHY website: Note: QHY11 is re-construction. We will use the QHY16 construction for new QHY11 design.The current version QHY11 will discontinous and new QHY11 will come at the end of this year.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:49 PM
riklaunim

The problem is that QHY or also Atik doesn't maintain their websites as they should.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:12 PM
Hagar (Doug)

Quote:
Originally Posted by riklaunim View Post
The problem is that QHY or also Atik doesn't maintain their websites as they should.
I don't quite understand your statement. I cannot see why a statement like under construction doesn't indicate that the site or part of the site is not complete.
I have had a look at both websites and find them quite self explanitory.
The QHY web site http://www.qhyccd.com has an online forum which does give all the latest information on the camera under discussion here and it quite simply states that the camera is in it's final testing stages and is almost ready for release. I dare say when it is released it shall appear as an upgraded page on the website. You have to remember the old 1102Model was sold until very reasantly by special order only and the new version will be released when upgrades to design are completed.

As for the Atik website I just had a look at it and don't see anything out of the ordinary on it either.

Seems like knit picking to me.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:21 PM
riklaunim

http://www.atik-cameras.com/html/cameras.html - No Atik Titan, Atik 383L+ (their new products)

http://www.atik-cameras.com/html/reviews.html - typo in Atik 16IC review link still not fixed (did mailed them long time ago)

http://qhyccd.com/index.html - they take out discontinued cameras from the list without any news/notification (and they are still available in shops). The list is chaotic (small cameras mixed with bigger), no accessories page (like QHY filters), no news, no info about upcoming cameras etc. And the page design, fonts aren't "proffesional". If you want to sell very expensive stuff you should present it as good as possible.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:26 PM
DavidU (Dave)
Like to learn

Aust is right down in pecking order. I have witnessed it before.
The US boys order 2000 the UK order 1000 Japan orders 900 Oz put's his hand up and orders 3.And the US boy's will tell you how much they will pay !
As a manufacturer who do you look after first? I'm afraid this is how it is in many fields.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:34 PM
mill (Martin)
sword collector

David i think $3000 AU for a QHY9 with filterwheel and all filters is a steal compared to sbig,atik etc ???
Also the rest of the camera's are dirt cheap compared to others even when AU gets not many in
And we have a bloody good dealer here called Theo.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:50 PM
Alchemy (Clive)
Quietly watching

Don't know this thread is going anywhere useful, websites could always contain more information, that goes for everybody,

I personally don't as a rule buy new technology as soon as it comes out, I have seen scopes come out with reflections, scopes called apo that have purple halos, we've all seen pictures of Jupiter on boxes of 60 mm toy store scopes suggesting that's what you can see.

I go on proven experiences. So will the camera be good, who knows ? I think it's a good thing that the local dealer will use his experience to decide when its a viable product, etc etc already discussed.

Just wait till it's been out 6 months and your choice is easy. Is there a preponderance of good reports or bad.... Or did some poor pperson get the model manufactured on the Friday before a public holiday.

Pretty much all my gear has been purchased as a result of good reports, g11 mount, Williams scopes, qhy8, dmk21, and just this week an Argo navis, I dont feel the need to be at the tech forefront.

If you are worried any gear might be a dud let someone else try it out and ask their opinion.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:03 PM
Gama

Just to stick my nose in a little..

As some of you guys mentioned, i dont like to import, sell, or really touch "Any" new "Just released" model/device from anyone.

As mentioned, and from my experience, there will most likely be an issue with either a software bug, minor hardware issue, etc, etc with new models.
This is why manufacturers make "Revisions", and for this, i dont want the headaches for others nor myself, until i'm confident.
I would still bring in what ever model you want, if pushed, but i would warn you of the pro's and con's first.
When im confident its OK, i will bring them in..

Tandum's (Robin) luck, or lack of it, is rare here. I hope to have him singing soon again i hope.

The QHY-11 is a new model, and was redesigned only recently again. It was decided to place it in the newer body, rather than in its older body.
They have made changes to the optical window a few times to help with frost prevention, which delayed the units release.

I think QHY are expanding the models faster than they can produce good documentation. But we all know the Chineese, when it comes to documentation (And spelling).

The documents get there in the end, but takes a little time.
Further, they have the wierdest holliday pattern, and are again on hollidays from the 1st till the 10th Oct.
So this sometimes shows up as "No response" from them.

Hope it helps a little.

Theo.

Last edited by Gama; 08-10-2010 at 05:27 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:45 PM
gbeal

Well put Theo, I have watched this from my afar armchair, and you are right on the money. Well done.
Gary
Old 08-10-2010, 05:00 PM
Astroman (Andrew Wall)
<><><><>

Out of curiosity where is this website that sells the QHY in Australia? is it gamaelectronics? I came across this while looking for a QHY5 guidecam... and Theo's nick sort of made me think the two are connected, am I right?
Old 08-10-2010, 05:27 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
Out of curiosity where is this website that sells the QHY in Australia? is it gamaelectronics? I came across this while looking for a QHY5 guidecam... and Theo's nick sort of made me think the two are connected, am I right?
Yes Andrew
His forum name is "Gama" for good reason....