Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2019, 04:41 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I have a blue barrel a 44 in old speak which once contained Renolith WS .. My plan is to fill it with dam water so I have something to wash dishes maybe even wash in...not drinking water in other words.
Anyone know if the residue in the barrel is dangerous. I will since it of course but thought before I spill anything to ask here.
It will be temporary but now that I have the pump working it would be nice to have a small supply.
Any experience with this stuff and what it is mostly used for?
Alex

And had not thought about this until now because I had no water supply..but the van has a water tank which would be great if I could use it for drinking water...so does anyone know of a product or procedure to clean what is an old tank with an unknown history.
Alex

It's Renolith WS...that's what I typed but this thing changed it.
Alex

Last edited by RB; 08-10-2019 at 09:15 PM.
Old 08-09-2019, 04:55 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Road sealant?????????

NO Alex, NO.

Use it as a bush fire safeguard. Don't drink or wash in that thing.
Old 08-09-2019, 05:29 PM
alpal

Renolith WS?

I can't find an MSDS for it.
Checked on Google -
what the hell is it?
Old 08-09-2019, 05:46 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Road substrate acrylic polymer emulsion. Supposedly has no hazardous ingredients, but, you know, NO!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISuu3eiQrSk
Old 08-09-2019, 06:06 PM
Wavytone

Supposedly vaping wasn't poisonous... yet the millennials are developing lung cancer at an alarming rate.

Glyphosate was supposedly non-toxic, too... to the point someone drank a glass of the stuff (it didn't kill him, immediately...) yet the biological issues are just beginning to appear.

67 years after Rachel Carson's "The Silent Spring" - which I read as a student - it is depressing to see those with commercial interests are still able to both con the gullible, and suppress the science, thanks to "influencers" and the internet. America is a sick place.

I wouldn't touch Regolith, either...
Old 08-09-2019, 06:10 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

8 people died in the US this week alone from vaping - lipid pneumonia - basically, the vape oil is giving them oil pneumonia, that previously people only working in refineries got.

I always knew vaping was dangerous despite all the hype. Idiotic if you ask me.
Old 08-09-2019, 06:23 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks for the replies.

I will keep it full of water as a back up for the fire pump...you never know...And as with backups because you have a backup the thing you are backing up won't fail.

I will organise for a tank to morrow I just happened to have a spare which I wanted to add to the main house but down here it can be an emergency supply just they will have to come a ways to get it.

Alex
Old 08-09-2019, 06:37 PM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Alex,

Re: your van tank.

Fill it with potable water then dose with chlorine, rinse & repeat... it's how we used to clean ships water tanks... Google for dosages of chlorine... don't drink what you dose for cleaning... then once you fill for drinking, dose again ( lower dose - again check google). After that, occasional maintenance dose of chlorine should stop any bacteria forming, & you might consider using a water filter as well to improve the taste...

Cheers
Old 08-09-2019, 07:06 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thank you Carlton..I will be boiling any water as well...
Alex
Old 09-09-2019, 01:22 AM
Kal (Andrew)
1¼" ñì®våñá

http://www.arunachalpwd.org/pdf/renolith003.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Capture.PNG)
106.2 KB30 views
Old 09-09-2019, 04:55 AM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
Supposedly vaping wasn't poisonous... .
Vaping IS safe they say

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DymNZd1n-0

Glad I stopped smoking 30 years ago

Why risk anything, surely plastic barrels are 10 a penny

Old 09-09-2019, 06:51 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal View Post
Thank you I don't know why I could not find that.
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukastronomer View Post
Why risk anything, surely plastic barrels are 10 a penny
I don't know about them being all that cheap, as a generalisation, and you know how much I hate to generalise, but water storage units run at $1 per liter storage capacity...but this one I found in the back paddock. I think the previous owner here used it to jump over with his horse.
Alex

Thanks to Kal's link I think this product has wonderful opportunity for the astro community.
I fact I am going to see if I can find any in Bunnings today.
So many of us go to put in a pier and don't have bed rock and from what I can tell if one let this stuff soak into the hole you have for your concrete prior to the pour it should have the effect of more or less turning the clay into concrete...check Kal's link as I think this may be the thing many of us need. Any views?
Alex

Old 09-09-2019, 08:30 AM
Wavytone

That’s a fair conclusion Alex, if it works, great !

But the question is how big a pier are you thinking (ie the hole too) ? Bearing in mind you’re creating a lump someone else may need to dispose of one day, overkill might be a risk !

I can’t help feeling a small hole and a bag of Quick-Crete is all that’s required - put open bag in hole, shove the pier into that, add water and wait.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:04 AM
dikman (Richard)

An interesting idea, Alex, but I doubt it would work as clay is notoriously impermeable to liquid (which is why they used it to line the canals in England).
Old 09-09-2019, 09:11 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
That’s a fair conclusion Alex, if it works, great !

But the question is how big a pier are you thinking (ie the hole too) ? Bearing in mind you’re creating a lump someone else may need to dispose of one day, overkill might be a risk !

I can’t help feeling a small hole and a bag of Quick-Crete is all that’s required - put open bag in hole, shove the pier into that, add water and wait.
My situation is different to most as this land was recently cleared and leveled and I don't know what is under so hence my thoughts to get a large a footprint as possible however as I observed earlier in here or another thread I only work with shirt FLs and in addition have pole master so any shift won't be the end of the world.

I expect this property to remain in my family until the line dies out so I make the decision for them if I want a lump they will have to put up with it.

If I can get it and the cost is not outrageous I will try it both for me and to pioneer a course for others who have similar issues.
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by dikman View Post
An interesting idea, Alex, but I doubt it would work as clay is notoriously impermeable to liquid (which is why they used it to line the canals in England).
Now of course you are correct but let's not pull back when we encounter a small problem..I had thought of this before and feel drilling various holes in the clay would do the job.
Anyways I need to be able to buy the stuff at an acceptable price and within my realm of travell...
Alex

Last edited by RB; 08-10-2019 at 09:14 PM.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:36 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Ah well, if I read in the media that a Tabulam man was transformed into road substrate, I will raise a glass of clean, filtered water to you Alex...

Have you read the syntax and vocabulary on the manufacturers spiel? And you trust that it is eco save...errrr safe
Old 09-09-2019, 11:42 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Ah well, if I read in the media that a Tabulam man was transformed into road substrate, I will raise a glass of clean, filtered water to you Alex...

Have you read the syntax and vocabulary on the manufacturers spiel? And you trust that it is eco save...errrr safe
Lewis you can trust the manufacturer to know his product better than us and I doubt if they would let their profit motive get in the way of doing the right thing...and besides their web site looks so trust worthy.

Anyways I may not be able to use it as it may dilute the DDT I have to put out for white ants.
Alex
Old 09-09-2019, 11:46 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Lewis you can trust the manufacturer to know his product better than us and I doubt if they would let their profit motive get in the way of doing the right thing...and besides their web site looks so trust worthy.

Anyways I may not be able to use it as it may dilute the DDT I have to put out for white ants.
Alex
Yes, their website smells of unsubstantiated EPA claims in a foundation of coagulate road base emulsion.

Drink away
Old 09-09-2019, 12:00 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

No Lewis you have made me panic and I will get the proper rain water tank down here...I will cut the top off the blue drum and keep fish in it.
Alex
Old 09-09-2019, 12:10 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

I mean, what could go wrong? In vivo experiment for Renolith.