Old 23-03-2010, 04:06 PM
mldee (Mike)
Photon sorter

QHY8 software compatability

I just finished successfully installing the drivers for my QHY8 to my inside desktop PC as well as my obs laptop, after the standard day-long fight with the various "versions" and sources of software reputedly meant for this fine little machine. In my humble opinion though, the installation information and instructions vary from bad to woeful to totally unprofessional, from all web sources, here and OS. I got to a first-name basis with all the drivers during the rites of initiation....

Anywayyyyy..... after finally downloading the latest driver from QHYCCD site after being redirected there from the astroshop site, (QHY8Drv64) and installing the unzipped QHY8drv.exe, all went well. After connecting the camera USB port (no, not the others, because the power supply was strapped to my pier in the obs), the computer recognised the camera and led me through installing the qhy8 base and qhy IO drivers from the c:\programs\qhyccd folder I had just installed to on the computer.

After that, I had an 'astro imaging device' in my control panel hardware readout (QHY8 IO) and when I ran Astrosoft's InstallTool.exe, it showed one installed QHY8.

I then installed their EZCAP19x64.zip to a folder and ran the EZCAP v1.9 program. Recognised the camera. but of course wouldn't run video until I put the other power connection to the camera, using the obs laptop. Did that and all OK. Saw photons!

Neoowwww...The question: I can not get anything else (capture programs) to run on this or the older versions of QHY8 software that abound. Yep, did all the instructions, or as many of the conflicting ones that I could work out

My neb v2.6 or any other programs (capccd, astrowin, etc) don't recognise the camera on either computer. Just cannot see it, even though "the computer says yes!" (in the control panel). Neb is working just fine with my DSI though.

Any suggestions and recommendations gratefully accepted. BTW, both CPU's are Intel Core Duo's.

Last edited by mldee; 23-03-2010 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 23-03-2010, 05:10 PM
Astrobserver99 (Rob)
Starlit Night

Hi,
I tried the QHYCCD drivers with EZCap - worked a couple of times after which I kept getting a division by zero error...

To get it working in Nebulosity, select Ascom camera and QHY8... should display video... I kept getting stars as streaks for some reason...

Finally went back to QHYLU drivers and TVQHY8
Old 23-03-2010, 05:11 PM
Hagar (Doug)

I was under the thought that the only drivers recommended in fact the only drivers available from www.astrosoft.be was the new ascom drivers and a link to the 64 bit drivers. I have found these work with almost all capture programs except CCDSoft which requires a CCDSoft plugin for ascom. Version control was a problem hence the change to Ascom drivers for everything.
Old 23-03-2010, 05:26 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mldee View Post
I got to a first-name basis with all the drivers during the rites of initiation....
I can relate to that.

I use Theo's driver for QHY5 & base driver, Tom's for the QHY8. Never changed them. They work fine. Until the very latest version of Neb 2 which for some reason stopped recognising QHY8 TVDE (tom's version) so I stayed with the previous version of Neb that worked. No need to update for me as I just use Neb to capture and it hasn't significantly changed in that department since the beginning. I kept on updating PHD though because it had new interesting features added to tweak parameters in realtime.

Historically Tom's drivers are the only drivers that ever gave me clean downloaded pictures. No streaks or USB interruption problems so I stuck to them. I also use Ascom 5a with the QHY5 to have it working with QGVideo.

There is also a program offered by Tom that can clean your system of any previously installed driver. I used it on two occasions and it worked a treat when I made a mess of my system by plugging the cameras in different USB ports.
Old 23-03-2010, 05:36 PM
mldee (Mike)
Photon sorter

Thanks for the inputs, Rob and Doug.

I can see the reason behind fleeing to Ascom, as the others are a total new installer's nightmare of incompatability. Bah humbug.

I use Ascom+EQMOD on an EEE PC to drive the mount with CDC and PHD. I was trying to avoid having a second Ascom installation on the imaging laptop, for the reason either I or the mount would probably get very confused, although as long as I don't install EQMOD on the imager PC, it should be no big deal, right? BTW, The PC's are networked.

I guess if I sit down and put a bit of effort in thinking about it, it will be a no brainer. Then comes uninstall of the QHYCCD64 driver. (Surprised it worked on standard XP?). Actually, just another little titillation for us newbies, there are 32 and 64 drivers in the file

Ascom and dump the rest. Sounds good.
Old 23-03-2010, 05:43 PM
mldee (Mike)
Photon sorter

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
I can relate to that.

I use Theo's driver for QHY5 & base driver, Tom's for the QHY8. Never changed them. They work fine. Until the very latest version of Neb 2 which for some reason stopped recognising QHY8 TVDE (tom's version) so I stayed with the previous version of Neb that worked. No need to update for me as I just use Neb to capture and it hasn't significantly changed in that department since the beginning. I kept on updating PHD though because it had new interesting features added to tweak parameters in realtime.

Historically Tom's drivers are the only drivers that ever gave me clean downloaded pictures. No streaks or USB interruption problems so I stuck to them. I also use Ascom 5a with the QHY5 to have it working with QGVideo.

There is also a program offered by Tom that can clean your system of any previously installed driver. I used it on two occasions and it worked a treat when I made a mess of my system by plugging the cameras in different USB ports.
Thanks Marc, good info.

Tried Tom's uninstaller during my initiation, I think it sorta worked but I was not a happy camper at the time.

I'll try the ascom route. Surprised at the lack of info on all the QHY sites about these problems, seems for a $1000+ camera, a little more up to date support would be available, without 10,000 googles.

BTW, I'll keep you in mind when I get my C8 Hyperstar, your C11 stuff is looking good
Old 23-03-2010, 06:51 PM
mldee (Mike)
Photon sorter

I'm now a fully installed member of the QHY8 dark society

Installed Ascom 5a + 5.5 update on imaging PC, Downloaded Tom's ASCOM driver, installed it and left the new QHYCCD64 system driver, reboot and - Viola! (sorry Marc).

Neb 2.6 works, EZCAP 1.9 works, haven't bothered with any others, and no, my mount does not spin around in circles.

Added a small dash of FCUSB ASCOM and - no more mozzies or freezing winter nights.

Now we venture into the dark forest of dew control......

Thanks to Rob, Doug and Marc for your great very productive comments.

Last edited by mldee; 23-03-2010 at 06:53 PM. Reason: added ascom5
Old 23-03-2010, 10:47 PM
Gama

The QHY-8 should have come with a CD and instructions on the drivers. Did you get the CD ?.
Did you get it locally ?, because it should have been included.

Theo
Old 24-03-2010, 08:24 AM
mldee (Mike)
Photon sorter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gama View Post
The QHY-8 should have come with a CD and instructions on the drivers. Did you get the CD ?.
Did you get it locally ?, because it should have been included.

Theo
No and no. I was made fully aware before purchase that drivers would need to be downloaded. I prefer the very significant cost savings to the convenience of local support and adding to my collection of out of date driver CD's. If the overall savings are large enough, I will continue to buy OS.

My comments simply concern my impressions, and apparently of some others as well, with the various drivers and instructions downloaded for this product.

It's no big deal, just my view on how the software situation doesn't seem to match the quality of the QHY8 hardware jewel. As an old fart, I enjoy a little rant now and then

I appreciate your concern and thank you for your time in enquiring.
Old 24-03-2010, 01:51 PM
Gama

That explains it, as you said you pay for what you get.
You cant blame the drivers, its totally up to yourself and the vendor to make sure you get the correct versions, and as you are well aware, unless you have the correct details, it is difficult to proceed.

Theo.
Old 24-03-2010, 05:15 PM
mldee (Mike)
Photon sorter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gama View Post
That explains it, as you said you pay for what you get.
You cant blame the drivers, its totally up to yourself and the vendor to make sure you get the correct versions, and as you are well aware, unless you have the correct details, it is difficult to proceed.

Theo.
Yep, I am quite satisfied with the outcome of all my OS purchases so far. If it was for Australian-made items, no doubt my actions would be more likely to include consideration of local benefits, but for pure imported items, it comes down purely to cost vs my benefits.

I don't feel comfortable going on about the relative costs and benefits of these purchases in this forum, except to say that at the end of one day of minor annoyance with software 'versions', I now have a very satisfying, functioning QHY8, lots of knowledge on the software side of things thanks to the web and IIS, and enough cash left over to send me off looking for more toys, both locally and OS

Cheers.