Old 21-12-2008, 09:54 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

In camera noise reduction and bias frames

I'm sure I haven't really got my head around what bias frames are for, so.......

What happens if I use ICNR - is it still a good idea to shoot some bias frames at fastest shutter speed and use these during image processing/stacking?
Old 21-12-2008, 10:18 PM
Matty P (Matt)
Star Struck

Rob, most of the time you can get away with not shooting Bias (Offset) frames if you take dark frames, because the Bias is included and removed in the dark frames. But if you take flat frames and don't subtract darks from them, you will need to take Bias frames and subtract them.

ICNR is exactly like taking seperate dark frames except it is automatically removed in the camera meaning you will not need to take Bias frames unless you are not taking seperate Darks for your Flats.

Hope this makes sense.

Old 21-12-2008, 10:20 PM
Terry B
Country living & viewing

There is no need.
The only time bias frames are needed is if you are scaling your darks. With ICNR there is no scaling and the bias will be removed with the automatic dark frame which should have the same bias.
Old 23-12-2008, 01:03 AM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Many thanks guys. Sounds like I'll rarely need to mess with bias frames then. Try to shoot relevant darks for each session, especially as temp can vary quite a bit in Brissy.