Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Celestial and Astronomical Events
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2014, 09:03 AM
gaa_ian (Ian)
1300 THESKY

Quadratids Meteor Shower - reports

Gove amateur Astronomers in the NT did go out for a look at the Quadrantids on Saturday morning the 4th with 2 club members present, myself & Peter.
I was pleasantly surprised to see 7 Quadratids either rising up from the horizon or skimming it in the later part of the hour between 4 and 5 am. 2 of them were brief and faint. However the remaining 5 were quite spectacular, with several rising up from the horizon and lasting several seconds.
A few of the ones closer to the horizon seemed to flare into visibility and disappear with a flash !
The Quadranids are quite easy to pick, being relatively slow moving compared to other showers. Certainly well worth the effort of getting up for from our northerly location. As luck would have it the clouds rolled in as the sky started to brighten, so we got the best of it
What did you see of the Quadratids ?
Old 06-01-2014, 02:34 AM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

Gosh, I didn't realise it would be visible up there even. Obviously a good, clear horizon helped. But no amount of clear horizon would've helped me-
I didn't bother looking as it was way too low for me.
This years shower was to be a good one too. I'm glad you got to see some, great report and sounds an enjoyable night.

Have you heard about the new shower added to the 2014 list?
Northerners get lucky again! Hourly rate of 100-1,000 on May 24th.
The new addition is called The "Camelopardalids" thanks to periodic comet 209P/LINEAR.
http://www.skyandtelescope.com/obser...238017821.html
Old 09-01-2014, 02:14 PM
gaa_ian (Ian)
1300 THESKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzy View Post
Gosh, I didn't realise it would be visible up there even. Obviously a good, clear horizon helped. But no amount of clear horizon would've helped me-
I didn't bother looking as it was way too low for me.
This years shower was to be a good one too. I'm glad you got to see some, great report and sounds an enjoyable night.

Have you heard about the new shower added to the 2014 list?
Northerners get lucky again! Hourly rate of 100-1,000 on May 24th.
The new addition is called The "Camelopardalids" thanks to periodic comet 209P/LINEAR.
http://www.skyandtelescope.com/obser...238017821.html
I have heard about it from your posts in the past few days, but thanks for the reminder, it will be going into my observing calendar for sure ! As a bonus it is close to the new moon too