Old 26-08-2014, 03:50 AM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

Who did see the Other Veil Nebula ?

I saw an article on the internet about Sh2-091.
No, not the nice one near the south wing of the Swan, but it is still in the Swan. Not listed in most atlases or star charting apps like Skysafari.
It is a NGC 6960 witch broom-lookalike located a few degrees NE of Albireo close to 12 Cyg.
http://www.astronomy-mall.com/Advent...ace/sh2091.htm

I looked it up with my 40cm Dob and OIII filter and just saw it very faint not too bad for my suburban Bortle 6 backyard sky.
No, users with scopes below 25cm, sorry. A 25cm should show it in a Blue Mountains like Bortle 2- site according to the article.

Fortunately for Aussies it is not too far north (about -31 decl S), so a nice early spring object for users with larger scopes.

Did anybody see it ?
Old 26-08-2014, 11:53 AM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysurfer View Post
I saw an article on the internet about Sh2-091.
No, not the nice one near the south wing of the Swan, but it is still in the Swan. Not listed in most atlases or star charting apps like Skysafari.
It is a NGC 6960 witch broom-lookalike located a few degrees NE of Albireo close to 12 Cyg.
http://www.astronomy-mall.com/Advent...ace/sh2091.htm

I looked it up with my 40cm Dob and OIII filter and just saw it very faint not too bad for my suburban Bortle 6 backyard sky.
No, users with scopes below 25cm, sorry. A 25cm should show it in a Blue Mountains like Bortle 2- site according to the article.

Fortunately for Aussies it is not too far north (about -31 decl S), so a nice early spring object for users with larger scopes.

Did anybody see it ?
Hi, this is the easiest part of the veil nebula supernova remnant to find from the southern hemisphere.
NGC6960 is split by a naked eye star 52Cygni at mag + 4.2.
Even though low down for Lower Australian cities it is still visible in dark sky's with a UHC or O111 filters in scopes of about 10cm =4" and above.
Obviously the larger the scope the more glorious this object becomes.
Filters are essential to view this object.
Cheers