Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Solar System
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2017, 01:22 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Sad Saturn

Ok, I have mentioned a couple times that the seeing here is what I consider, rather rubbish.
So here is my Saturn from last night Aug 7th - And I might add, At Least I could see the Cass Div to some extent, very rare I must say - pitiful on the same token ?
12" Meade acf @ prime, Asi 178 color,
Have also attached a few 'screen grabs' of the video taken.
Anywho, what can one do
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Sat2.JPG)
38.5 KB98 views
Click for full-size image (Sat3.JPG)
32.6 KB92 views
Click for full-size image (Sat5.JPG)
84.9 KB74 views
Click for full-size image (Sat6.JPG)
66.0 KB67 views
Click for full-size image (Sat_204849_ZWO ASI178MC-Cool_Gain=311_Exposure=8PSM1Jpg.jpg)
55.9 KB120 views
Old 08-08-2017, 05:13 PM
Derek Klepp

Bob that's not bad if the seeing is anything like down here.
Old 08-08-2017, 06:42 PM
spiezzy

I agree with Derek that is a pretty good end result Bob I think you have done very well with it
Old 09-08-2017, 12:48 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Got to be happy with that abob looks very natural.

We are ultimately at the mercy of the seeing.
Old 09-08-2017, 05:06 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Klepp View Post
Bob that's not bad if the seeing is anything like down here.
Cheers Derek, I'd be surprised if the seeing were much better, Lol. I know what planets look like in the scope, tho one weather site was saying 5/5 for the lower half atmosphere & 4/5 for the higher half, Pththth, flat-out reach 2.5/5 in both
Cheers mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiezzy View Post
I agree with Derek that is a pretty good end result Bob I think you have done very well with it
Thanx, Spiezzy, It was unexpected that some parts of the thinner ring gaps showed up in places, considering must have been something ok in parts of a few frames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
Got to be happy with that abob looks very natural.

We are ultimately at the mercy of the seeing.
Thanx, Dunk.
Am satisfied with the result, just
Yep, the weather gods have No Mercy
Cheers ...
Old 10-08-2017, 12:15 AM
andyc (Andy)

Seeing has been shocking lately as well here in Sydney, looks like you've done not too badly to get a fair image there!
Old 10-08-2017, 11:06 AM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyc View Post
Seeing has been shocking lately as well here in Sydney, looks like you've done not too badly to get a fair image there!
Thanx, Andy.
wow, I cant imagine Imaging in Sydney, not with one-shot-color anyway, Hmmm.
One wonders, with the - hmm, 'global-warming' Pollution etc, if conditions are going to improve at all, particularly over the longer term ?
Tho, has been mentioned, this winter has been a unfortunate season
Rgrds .
Old 10-08-2017, 08:44 PM
blinky (Leigh)

nice one Bob! Especially with the poor conditions. Its so hard to know how good your focus is when its like that.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:52 PM
astroearth (Carl)

I emphasise with Bob as I live in densely light polluted areathe seeing condition in SE Qld have been challenging, but hey every little win is a bonus.
Given the seeing conditions still a great image. Keep trying is all we can do.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:57 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

nice work bob, i get similar frames to that but can't produce anything like your final result!
Old 14-08-2017, 03:43 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky View Post
nice one Bob! Especially with the poor conditions. Its so hard to know how good your focus is when its like that.
Thnx Leigh, it is difficult, : I tend to increase the exposure, full 1/2 second, then move Planet out of view and find a moon to focus on, about the best I can do ,
-------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroearth View Post
I emphasise with Bob as I live in densely light polluted areathe seeing condition in SE Qld have been challenging, but hey every little win is a bonus.
Given the seeing conditions still a great image. Keep trying is all we can do.
Encouraging thx Carl, hoping conditions will improve some time, I'm keeping records too
-------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustigsmed View Post
nice work bob, i get similar frames to that but can't produce anything like your final result!
Cheers Carl, Saturn was sitting quite steady in the small frame, but not clean and/or crisp, as usual, like looking through a muddy puddle,, better than having the planet bubbling tho
Guess I've gathered some of the ways to processing, lately
Thnx ,,,
Old 14-08-2017, 04:36 PM
andyc (Andy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronobob View Post
Thanx, Andy.
wow, I cant imagine Imaging in Sydney, not with one-shot-color anyway, Hmmm.
One wonders, with the - hmm, 'global-warming' Pollution etc, if conditions are going to improve at all, particularly over the longer term ?
Tho, has been mentioned, this winter has been a unfortunate season
Rgrds .
careful about putting global warming in quotes when you're chatting to a climate scientist (sadly it's real, it's due to us and very troublingly bad news). On topic astro seeing (so far as I understand it) is driven quite substantially by currents near the surface and by jetstream variations. Surface currents and thermals would be quite a lot affected by concrete/urbanisation in your immediate area, jetstream changes can have a climate component to them but probably not enough to be concerned about, year to year weather and seasonality are more important (eg winter jetstream often over us both). In the Northern Hemisphere change may be an issue, with a more variable jetstream configuration partly attributed to loss of Arctic ice, but it's less of an issue here in the south because the Antarctic continent & sea ice have more stable albedo variations through the year. To be honest, of all the climate impacts that keep me awake at night, seeing changes aren't one of them

Best way to get improved seeing? Move away from jetstreams to the tropics like Chris Go's or Damien Peach's favourite observing sites!
Old 17-08-2017, 09:21 AM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyc View Post
careful about putting global warming in quotes when you're chatting to a climate scientist (sadly it's real, it's due to us and very troublingly bad news). On topic astro seeing (so far as I understand it) is driven quite substantially by currents near the surface and by jetstream variations. Surface currents and thermals would be quite a lot affected by concrete/urbanisation in your immediate area, jetstream changes can have a climate component to them but probably not enough to be concerned about, year to year weather and seasonality are more important (eg winter jetstream often over us both). In the Northern Hemisphere change may be an issue, with a more variable jetstream configuration partly attributed to loss of Arctic ice, but it's less of an issue here in the south because the Antarctic continent & sea ice have more stable albedo variations through the year. To be honest, of all the climate impacts that keep me awake at night, seeing changes aren't one of them

Best way to get improved seeing? Move away from jetstreams to the tropics like Chris Go's or Damien Peach's favourite observing sites!
Very much so Andy, I seen Melbourne having next to Zilch jet a many a time, days in a row aswell, a few weeks back !
Looks like the Sthn half of Aus will cont having some jet for a while yet, ,
Temperatures through the atmosphere layers will hinder seeing quality aswell, if temp reduce evenly with altitude, then not so bad, but throw in a warm layer or two, mmm !
And wind speed, but more-so, directions at different altitudes, hence, instability. Then there is moisture/vapour content !
It's like needing the right conditions for storms to develop, not just a trough, but also many other influences all working together, just right, for a good storm session and they are apparently yielding more ferocity these days !
All in all, a rather 'unsettling' topic, huh
Old 17-08-2017, 10:54 PM
andyc (Andy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronobob View Post
Very much so Andy, I seen Melbourne having next to Zilch jet a many a time, days in a row aswell, a few weeks back !
Looks like the Sthn half of Aus will cont having some jet for a while yet, ,
Temperatures through the atmosphere layers will hinder seeing quality aswell, if temp reduce evenly with altitude, then not so bad, but throw in a warm layer or two, mmm !
And wind speed, but more-so, directions at different altitudes, hence, instability. Then there is moisture/vapour content !
It's like needing the right conditions for storms to develop, not just a trough, but also many other influences all working together, just right, for a good storm session and they are apparently yielding more ferocity these days !
All in all, a rather 'unsettling' topic, huh
Ah, a good storm session would be nice! (though no large hail, please ), we just have a lot of clear skies and bad seeing! Working out when it's good is a right old dark art too, though I think Skippy Sky has just about got it over Meteoblue recently for me. Hope you get some settled skies soon