Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 2.00 average.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:27 AM
glend (Glen)

Grey Nomads and IIS - birds of a feather

The latest version of the The Grey Nomad Times newsletter (issue 150), contains a short article on the relative ignorance of the night sky among it's members (apparently 48.5% know nothing about what is above them). They do seem to have an interest however. Here is a link to the Grey Nomad Times newsetter:

http://www.thegreynomads.com.au/Grey...mesIss150A.pdf

The piece on astronomy is on page two. Also of interest in this issue is an article (page 3), on "Flocking Behaviour" which explains why some folks will camp right next to you in a large camping reserve.

The article on Astronomy invites comments to the editor so I encourage you to speak your mind about public outreach that we all do from time to time, even if unintended.

I have provided a comment to the editor concerning my experiences at Bretti and other free camp reserves as an astronomer and the related issues like light pollution from some oblivious caravaners and campers. In my comment I have invited Grey Nomads to visit IIS, and to wander over if they see us setup somewhere, and become familiar with what we do, as I see we do share some common ground (or common campground).

Through this commentary between the forums we may be able to educate the Grey Nomad community about what we are doing out there in the dark, and why control of exterior illumination is so important in dark sites.

Last edited by glend; 05-07-2017 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-07-2017, 12:35 PM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

Interesting read.

Have you considered writing an article for the newsletter about the issue?
Old 05-07-2017, 01:48 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazjen View Post
Interesting read.

Have you considered writing an article for the newsletter about the issue?
Yes Chris, Cindy (the Editor) has asked me to submit a piece, so i guess i will give it a go. Astronomy is such a big subject, but i think a good place to start is an intro to planetarium apps that most people can load onto their phones or tablets, which would help out those 48.5% of their readers who have no idea what they are seeing. Something like Sky Safari, which can provide so much info on each object, and a pair of binoculars, would go a long way in establishing foundations. That and some info on the importance of allowing your eyes to dark adapt, turning off the lights, etc.
Suggestions welcome. Given the scope she requested, i could see it turning into a series of articles over time.
Old 05-07-2017, 04:04 PM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

I was grey nomadíng up near Clermont a year back and came across a bloke selling one of those National geographic newtonianson a very rickety EQ3 or similar for the princely sum of $20. I hadn''t taken a scope with me on that trip so I jumped on it. The optics were passable (as good as a 70mm mirror that's been in the bush for a couple of years can be). The owner said he could never get it to work.

So I did a quick strip and re-greased the mount, did a clean of the optics and as good a collimation as you can without a catseye.

That night, Saturn was just past zenith so I invited the owner to come over to my camp and have a look. He brought a 6-pack and his teenage son.

They were able to see Saturn, its rings and several other good sights including NGC5139 and Tuc47. They were blown away. They'd never seen a planet before. And when I described what a globular cluster was, they were gob-smacked.

Later, after the 6-pack had disappeared, and dad and son were walking away - I heard the son say to his dad "That's what I want to be dad, a star man."

Well, I was pretty chuffed by that.

Peter
Old 05-07-2017, 05:26 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

The nomads I saw on a 15k trip around Aus last year made it clear to me they don't care about the night sky much...as most of them flood light their wagon unnecessarily in the middle of nowhere. I figured they were mostly Sydneysiders/Melburnians who were afraid of the dark...
Old 05-07-2017, 09:26 PM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

Well Dunk, perhaps Glen's articles can help educate a few people about the light and its effects. Maybe some will spread the word and do the right thing.

Maybe...
Old 06-07-2017, 02:04 AM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

I'm currently doing a lap, and in 5 months have not met a single fellow stargazer on a campsite. In fact, campsites are generally dreadful places for the night sky with lights everywhere!

It's not all bad news though, whilst fellow campers are pretty bad light polluters, they do tend to go to bed early. Hang on until 9pm on a free camp and the lights go out and the beautiful night sky comes out to play.

The biggest issue is with newer caravans and bright white LED's. Boy do they spoil the view - I've attached an image from near Alice Springs where the owner of a caravan had failed to switch of the outside lights and highlighted the foreground trees. Grr.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (TempleBar2 (Large).jpg)
197.4 KB72 views
Old 06-07-2017, 04:10 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

That's a beauty so miss the country sky...

We had our caravan refitted with red LED both in and out as astro trips are one of its primary duties
Old 06-07-2017, 05:20 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post

We had our caravan refitted with red LED both in and out as astro trips are one of its primary duties
Dunk did you ever get anyone knocking on the door thinking it was a mobile brothel?
Old 06-07-2017, 05:25 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Nah w wouldn't THEY be in for a surprise
Old 15-07-2017, 08:43 AM
glend (Glen)

Well the editor of the Grey Nomad Times did not waste any time. The Intro article I submitted has appeared in Issue 151 of the GNTs, on page 3. If your interested in having a look it can be found here (if the link works):

http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay....mesIss151J.pdf

Keep in mind this is very basic starter stuff for the folks (48.5% of their members) who know nothing about the sky.

There is a photo taken at Bretti that is included, and my apologies to owners of the two vehicles in the shot (with no number plates shown), for not seeking permission to use it in advance. It was one of a few I had sent through and the only one the Editor chose to use.

Last edited by glend; 15-07-2017 at 09:25 AM.
Old 15-07-2017, 10:21 AM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

Glen - that was an excellent article for the target audience. I hope you get the chance to write some more for them in the future.
Old 15-07-2017, 11:59 AM
Bart
Don't have a cow, Man!

Ha ha, I enjoyed the article! It came across to me like a telling off for all that light pollution.

Good work!
Old 15-07-2017, 02:20 PM
leon

Good stuff Glen we my Alice and me are also Grey Nomads and have traveled for many years.

Your artical was great, thanks for sharing

However for the artical about convoys of vans traveling on the same page is also spot on, in regard to the truckies and other traffic that is.

Some just travel to close and need to back off a bit. in convoy one needs to be at least a half k behind each other, how else can a Road Train pass.

Leon
Old 15-07-2017, 02:43 PM
sharpiel

Quote:

Hi Glen.

I read recently that research has now indicated Amber lights affect night vision less than red. Strangely my 10 yr old Nissan Murano has amber dash lights. Didn't like it till I stumbled across the above info...
Old 15-07-2017, 05:40 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Interesting you mention that, as while travelling I noticed that several sites used amber lighting (not the hue of sodium) in their bathroom facilities at night as it attracted fewer bugs.

The LED strips on our van are colour variable...very low cost these days.
Old 17-07-2017, 08:11 PM
sharpiel

Quote:
Interesting you mention that, as while travelling I noticed that several sites used amber lighting (not the hue of sodium) in their bathroom facilities at night as it attracted fewer bugs.

The LED strips on our van are colour variable...very low cost these days.
Sorry Dunk. Not sure why I called you Glen. Jack Daniels may have contributed tho...

The variable colour LED's...are they arrays of different colour LED's or single LED's that change colour?

Last edited by sharpiel; 17-07-2017 at 10:09 PM.
Old 17-07-2017, 08:34 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Les, I believe they are single LEDs (or a very tight cluster of rgb), and the colour is user selectable.