Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers

Old 30-04-2011, 08:10 AM
leon

some assistance please with Hotmail Sending

Hi Guys some assistance would be appreciated.
I use hot mail for my emails, however it will let me receive messages, but wont let me reply or send anything out, however it used to.

I don't use it often, but on occasions need to send an email.

I am sure there is a simple fix, but i am not that email knowledgeable.

Thanks, Leon
Old 30-04-2011, 08:59 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Hi Leon, are you using the web based interface or an email client on your computer, such as outlook connector, windows live mail or other? Web based will always work regardless of your location. SMTP (mail client) and outgoing depend on the ISP you are connected at the time. Receiving is never an issue.
Old 30-04-2011, 03:15 PM
leon

Hmmm, thanks Marc, to be honest I'm not real sure, I think it is email client, now Marc can I change this, or am I stuck with it.

If I can change it, you might have to explain it to me in plain English mate, I'm not that clever when it comes to email stuff.

Leon
Old 30-04-2011, 03:19 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Sorry Leon. If you have a <your_name>_@hotmail.com account you can go at http://www.hotmail.com login with your username (usually your email address) and your pwd. From there you'll be able to receive and send from anywhere in the world as it is web based.
Old 30-04-2011, 08:18 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Leon,

Are you using Microsoft Outlook or some other program to send email out? Or are you using a browser-based email client?

It's most likely not allowing you to send out, because you're traveling and using a 3G mobile Internet connection, am I correct? ISP's don't like you using (relaying) through their mail servers if you're connected to some other ISP. Example, if I'm with Optus, and then connect via someone's wireless network that is not with Optus, I won't be able to send email out.

Which 3G ISP are you with? You will need to change your outgoing/SMTP server. For example, I recently got a Telstra BigPond 3G USB modem to connect to the web with when I'm out imaging. To send email out, I had to set my SMTP/outgoing email server to mail.bigpond.com and everything works.

H
Old 30-04-2011, 08:43 PM
leon

Thanks Marc, and H, well guys you may have hit the nail on the head so to speak, we are with Telstra 3g network and have a gateway set up in the van, it works quite well really, but obviously doesn't like emails.

H, I will have a look at what you suggested, many thanks.

Leon
Old 30-04-2011, 08:47 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Leon,

No worries.

In most email clients, you usually just need to go Tools > Accounts, and then change/modify account. You will find your email account there. Simply go in and change the outgoing server. Incoming should stay the same as it's always been.

Cheers.

H