Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2018, 06:38 PM
RyanJones

Thoughts on focal reducers

Hi all,

I'm discovering that one of the limitations of my equipment ( amongst many ) is the focal length of my scope. Given that I don't have an endless budget to work with, I'm making the best of what I have. I primarily use my scope for Astrophotography, I'd like advice as to whether a focal reducer will help with my field of view? Without being rude, I'd like the responses to be aimed at BEGGINER level. I understand that a few thousand dollars would buy me a better starting point, however, I am working with what I have.

Thank you in advance
Old 03-07-2018, 07:16 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

A focal reducer will indeed increase your FOV, the difficulty is finding one that will work well with your telescope and give a reasonable image quality over your DSLR.

Others are more learnered in this area than I but maybe one of the older Meade 0.66x reducers that was made for their pre-ACF telescope line?
Celestron May even have a reducer matches for your 4SE.
Old 04-07-2018, 07:22 PM
RyanJones

Thank you for your response Colin,

There are quite a few reducers available from Celeston for MAKs but none really as small as mine. I guess that the price you pay for playing this game with toys.

Most of the issues discussed elsewhere are with having enough movement in the focal plane. As with anything, the good ones aren't cheap. I'm thinking I might just grab one of the cheap ones and at least see if I can achieve focus regardless of the image quality and if I can, I'll make the investment in a good one.

Unless anyone else can tell me if I'm wasting my time...?
Old 04-07-2018, 10:26 PM
redbeard (Damien)

Give these guys a call:

http://www.telescopes-astronomy.com...._contacts.html

I was looking for a focal reducer for my 5" Mak and I found one from these guys. I live in Adelaide so was able to visit them and very nice people.

It's 1.25" in size. There is no branding on it so I have no idea what it is but it was recommended and worked fine. I was very new to the hobby back then and had to trust all was good.

I paid about $90 which is fairly cheap for a reducer and this one is good but I would not advise going too cheap as they are crap and also don't try to reduce too much as your image will be very small.

Another thing I have done is used a 2" adapter for the back of my 5" scope and fitted one of the older Meade or Celestron 0.63 reducers.

It's important that you have the correct spacing between the focal reducer and your camera sensor. Loads of info on the web about that.

Cheers,
Damien.
Old 04-07-2018, 10:39 PM
RyanJones

Question

Thanks heaps for the tips Damian. I really appreciate it. $90 sounds like a great price I'll give them a call tomorrow.

I have read quite a few things regarding msking sure the distance to sensor is important so it's good to hear you confirm that too

I had considered using the visual back too. My mak is an odd thread at the back but I think I've found an adaptor to adapt it to the standard SCT thread to use the wide range of 2" adaptors and diagonals so I might ask them about that at the same time

Thanks again
Old 04-07-2018, 11:11 PM
redbeard (Damien)

You're welcome.
Old 05-07-2018, 06:00 AM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

BEGGINER ?
You are begging for a reducer ?