Old 17-02-2011, 09:00 AM
Richotech

Meade DSI II Pro - IR filter

Hello All,

I bought the Meade monochrome DSI II Pro with colour filters second hand, but the IR filter is not with the other filters. Can anyone help me with the type of IR filter I require for astrophotography. I gather I need this filter to use with all images ? ie. LRGB.

Cheers,
Brett.
Old 17-02-2011, 04:48 PM
Ric
Support your local RFS

Hi Brett

you will definitely need the IR filter to use in conjunction with the RGB filters.

I use an Astronomiks IR filter with mine, you will also need a TF-Adapter which allows you to put the IR filter in the nosepiece. The RGB filter then sit in the slide bar behind it.

You can order the TF-Adaptor from Mogg Adaptors but I would email Steve first to check for availability.

http://moggadapters.com/astro/adapter.asp

Hope this helps.
Old 18-02-2011, 08:45 AM
Richotech

Hi Ric,

Thanks for the help. Isn't the IR filter the same threaded mounting as the colours and it screws into the front of the nose piece ?.

Brett.
Old 18-02-2011, 11:04 AM
Ric
Support your local RFS

Sorry Brett, that is correct.

I was thinking of my setup where I use a focal reducer, the nose piece in that case then touch's the focal reducer glass which is why I use the TF-Adaptor.

The IR filter is then positioned at the other end and there is no chance of scratching the focal reducer
Old 18-02-2011, 06:02 PM
pjphilli (Peter)

Hi Brett

I see you like me are in Sydney. I have a infrared stop filter for my DSI2 but I have found that I later needed a light pollution filter which works very well in my location. The lpf incorporates infrared and ultraviolet stop as well as stop bands for the common light pollutants. My filter was especially designed for imaging cameras and is the IDAS LPS-P2 31.7mm. It just screws in the nose of your camera etc. The lpf will be substantially costlier than a simple infrared stop filter but I consider it well worthwhile. Note - when using this filter you will have to increase your exposure about twice as compared with having no filter but this is normally not a problem with my colour DSI2.

Cheers