Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 13-04-2011, 02:24 PM
Stigandi (Rob Stinson)

SBIG ST-4000XCM Autoguide Cable for EM-400 Temma2M Mount

Hello all. I just received my new Takahashi EM-400 Temma2M mount yesterday. I do most of my imaging with my SBIG ST-4000XCM CCD. The ST-4 cable from the camera connected directly to my old mount (Skywatcher HEQ-5Pro) through the traditional ST-4 connector right on the mount. It was called the autoguide port, I think. The Temma2 mount has no such connection. Instead it has a small proprietary looking port labled autoguide and a couple of 6-pin round ports. It looks like one of the round ports will allow me connect to the mount to slave it to go-to software, through a USB to Serial adapter. How do I connect the camera to the mount to send autoguide signals? I've done lots of searches online and am more confused that I started out. It looks like OPT (and others) sell a Takahashi cable that is the Temma2 ST-4 guiding cable. I assume that would plug into the small autoguide port and give me a port to plug in the SBIG ST-4 male plug. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob
Old 13-04-2011, 03:08 PM
JohnG (John)
Looking Down From Above

Hi Rob

I have just gone through the same exercise with my EM-200 Temma 2M mount. It is a special connector. I got onto Peter Tan in Hong Kong and got him to make my AG cable, mine went straight into a QHY-5.

http://www.tan14.com/Tak.htm bottom of the page.

He can be a bit difficult to get onto, I am awaiting a reply for a longer 2M to Serial cable.

My AG cable only cost around $20.00 from memory.

Cheers
Old 13-04-2011, 04:47 PM
Stigandi (Rob Stinson)

Thanks John. I talked to Claude at Astronomy and Electronics (where I got my setup) and he is getting one from Takahashi. Sounds like the same thing at a higher price. In addition, since you have been down this road, am I correct in assuming that the computer USB / Serial connection to drive the mount in 'goto' mode is using the supplied serial cable x 6 pin round plug cable? So that would get me the 'goto' capability while the autoguider cable from the SBIG to the autoguider port will give me the guide adjustment signals?

I had this all working fine with my old HEQ-5Pro. I just got the new scope and mount set up last night. Tonight is figuring out the electrical side, with next to no manual. Gotta love Takahashi for that..
Old 13-04-2011, 05:07 PM
bert (Brett)
Automation nut

Just for the record.....

Qhy5 output is mirror opposite to the sbig standard plug, hence one uses a cross over cat 5 and one uses straight cat 5, although I cannot remember which is which. That is for a normal 'non takahashi' mount that uses a rj45 plug on both ends.

I love sbig st4 standard mounts.......

Brett
Old 13-04-2011, 05:58 PM
JohnG (John)
Looking Down From Above

Not sure on that one Brett, I specified what the guider was when I ordered the cable, works fine.

Rob, I am ATM, using the supplied RS232 cable and have it connected to a Serial to USB connected to my Laptop, to get the extra length I needed I simply used a 5 meter powered USB cable. GOTO is accomplished using ASCOM and the CCDAstro Temma driver:

http://ccdastro.net/temma.html

GOTO will operate with any program using the ASCOM plugin.

Cheers
Old 14-04-2011, 09:45 AM
Paul Haese

Rob this is the cable you need.

Had an EM400 myself and this is the cable I used. It goes into the guide port.

You get the cable from here at Shoe string astronomy. They are fast and reliable and cheap too.
Old 14-04-2011, 04:29 PM
Stigandi (Rob Stinson)

Thanks again guys. John, I was able to drive the mount in goto mode last night from my macpro using Equinox Pro a USB / Serial converter connected to the serial port, which is a round 6-pin port on the mount labled "PC".

As for the autoguiding... I'm thinking that there are two generations of EM-400 Temma2 mounts. I have seen several pictures of these mounts with a round 6-pin port labled autoguider, which would fit the cable that Paul shows here. My mount has a small unique port labled autoguider which fits the cable that John linked to and I have attached a photo of. I'll take a photo of the ports on the mount but I'm finding some older mounts have a different configuration.

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (T2M%20autoguide%201.jpg)
19.0 KB41 views
Old 14-04-2011, 05:34 PM
JohnG (John)
Looking Down From Above

Sorry Paul.

That is not the right cable, the new Temma 2M has a completely different AG socket.

Rob, you have to make sure it for the Temma 2M and that is the correct cable I linked you to.

Cheers
Old 14-04-2011, 06:27 PM
Stigandi (Rob Stinson)

Yeah.. That's why I'm getting different answers. Here is a picture of the new port on my mount. The cable you showed John seems to fit that. The older mounts had the bigger round ports.

By the way.. Anyone know what the unlabeled port is on the left?

Thanks,
Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (photo.jpg)
121.4 KB71 views
Old 14-04-2011, 07:08 PM
Paul Haese

Sorry guys, looks like they have changed the cable end on me. I had Temma 2 also but not the M. That photo clearly shows that pin configuration as being different. Wonder why they changed that. Shoestring don't have this cable in their list of products. Apologies.
Old 14-04-2011, 09:55 PM
JohnG (John)
Looking Down From Above

No worries Paul, I have the older style socket on the NJP and the Shoestring solution works a treat.

Rob, I don't have an extra connector on the EM-200, just a blank piece of metal, the handbook just say's the blank connector is not used and is for future expansion. Your picture shows the same AG port as I have.

Cheers
Old 14-04-2011, 11:12 PM
Stigandi (Rob Stinson)

Thanks guys.. I really appreciate the input from all. Takahashi claim to have the right cable so I'm having Claude at Astronomy - Electronics try to get it straight from them. I'm not sure what that new port spec is.. I've never seen a port like that before.....

Thanks,
Rob