Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 06-08-2010, 02:03 PM
shahgazer (Shah)
I Need Clear Sky!

Help on how to install Orion Accufocus to SW Equinox 120

Hi Guys,

Recently I purchased Orion's Accufocus for Dual-Speed Crayford focuser.

From the reading, I understand it was made compatible with the Orion's EON scope.

However, my scope is the Skywatcher Equinox 120 . I guess it is similar with the Orion's?

Then, I'm having some problem trying to install the Accufocus to the dual-speed focuser. The shaft seems a bit too loose , even after I tighten the screws.

Has anyone installed on similar scope or similar focuser with the Accufocus? Some pictures should be helpful.

Thanks very much.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:11 PM
Visionoz (Bill)

Shah

I think you would have to use the side that has the single knob instead of the one that has the 10:1 fine knob

I used mine on my VC200L instead because when I had a good look at my BD 120mm which has the fine 10:1 knob as well I but decided against it

HTH
Cheers
Bill
Old 08-08-2010, 09:35 AM
shahgazer (Shah)
I Need Clear Sky!

Hi Bill,

The side with the single knob, after opening the tightening screw, it didn't seems to be able to slide out. Either it is very tight or there's another tightening screw somewhere.

Or it is normal for the knob to remain tight even when I've open the screw? Do I have to pull harder?

The 10:1 knob is easier and straightforward, and easily slides out when I open the screw. But then, the big knob next to it is also very tight.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:08 PM
Visionoz (Bill)

Shah

AFAICR the single knob can be removed by loosening the grub screw with an Allen key and the right spot is the one with a larger diameter hole out of the two that you will find right next to the edge facing the knob - ie the smaller hole is very near the edge whilst the next one which is slightly larger in diameter is more the one that you can see where the grub screw is by turning the knob whilst peering into the hole

The knob needs a bit of pressure to pull off

I don't think it is practical to mount the motorised focuser onto the fine focusing spindle otherwise you'll take forever to rack it forwards or backwards!! Note that when you use the motorised focuser you'll lose the use of being able to do it manually anyway since it is not clutched

HTH
Cheers
Bill
Old 11-08-2010, 12:13 AM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Hi Shah,

not sure if these Do-it-yourself tips of mine will help you but I'll post them anyway

Adaptor: http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=10782

Bracket: http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...2&postcount=20

I hope it gives you some ideas
Old 11-08-2010, 07:51 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

I found that it is much better to use the Accufocusser on a 1:1 focusser. It is slow enough to give fine focus. Driving the 1:1 shaft on a 10:1 focusser seemed to be too big a load on the motor - just never worked as nicely as on a 1:1. Another tip to add to Ken's great suggestions: If you have a steel tube, araldite some magnets (ex fridge?) on the back of the hand control (don't cover the battery cover!). Press the magnets against the tube before the Araldite sets, then leave to set. That positions the magnets to the curve of the tube. Handy place to put the hand controller when not in use - or even use it while it is sitting on the tube. Here is the link: http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=39011