Old 05-03-2014, 09:48 PM
Allan

I liked Chaffey. It's nice having the shower and not having to hold your breath when you go to the toilet. But Bretti is closer and the sky there is as dark as outback South Australia where I started off in astronomy.

Next new moon is the 31st which is a Monday. I am just going to keep an eye on the weather and make a last minute decision as to the best time to go. The weekend before the new moon is probably the best option, as long as the weather looks good, in case anyone else wants to go. But I will do mid week if that's the only chance for good weather. I will keep you posted. If nothing else, my furry friend will be there to keep me company.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:50 AM
glend (Glen)

I will also try to get to Bretti at the end of this month with my pooch. Anyone else that can make for a couple of days? It can't be hot , not again. Looking forward to a Horsehead shoot out with Allan.

Last edited by glend; 06-03-2014 at 11:11 AM.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:40 PM
Fizics (John)
John

I will try to get there too just depends on the dates.

For those of you with skysafari I have at last set up a raspberry pi as as a wifi interface for skysafari. Works out much cheaper than other devices. The pi provides both the wifi for the iPad and serial connections for my nexstar.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:25 AM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Noted with interest.
But depends on other commitments juggling.
...and an improvement in the weather conditions.
But here's hoping
Old 07-03-2014, 09:52 AM
glend (Glen)

For those considering a trip to Bretti the last weekend of March (say anywhere from the 27th through the 31st), I have checked the Hours of Darkness and can report that there will be no residual moon intrusion between sunset and nominal dawn (well ok on the 27th the moon does rise at 4:04am). New Moon is on the 31st (Monday) but it's irrelevant from the 27th onward.

The only factor could be the weather and time will tell (well ok some people may have 'other commitments" and I understand that fully.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:40 AM
glend (Glen)

For those in the Sydney, Central Coast, Newcastle area, the upcoming New Moon trip to the Bretti Dark Site is an excellent opportunity to get your scope out to a true dark location and see what it can do.

Everyone is welcome (even dogs) at the Bretti Reserve free camp location. Anyone wishing to come along, even if just for one night, just let us know here, or you can just show up. I'll probably be onsite from Friday noon (the 28th) onward, maybe the 27th if anyone else wants to go up that early. There is no moon light to contend with during that weekend.

As Leighton Hewitt would say "Come On"!
Old 10-03-2014, 12:23 PM
Shano592 (Shane)

Sounds interesting.

The free camping area you speak of, Glen.... this is the section straight off the road, down the hill, and close to the stream?

I have only been there once, doing a drive-by. It was quite full then.

I did notice the gate over the stream, but never ventured over there. Pretty sure that it had a "No Camping" sign on it.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:33 PM
GTB_an_Owl (Geoff)
bewise betold neverbecold

we normally camp this end Shane

geoff
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Bretti_campsite.jpg)
107.5 KB29 views
Click for full-size image (Bretti_campsite_2.jpg)
100.2 KB26 views
Old 10-03-2014, 01:13 PM
glend (Glen)

Shane there maybe caravaners (being a free camp) there but they tend to favour the left (northwest) side of the access road that runs along the pond area and river as that is where the trees are and they like shade. They also tend to favour long-weekends and holiday periods, which the proposed weekend is not. We have seen the Mid-North Coast caravaners club there but there were only about five vans along the trees oriented away from us facing toward the river and trees, no site lighting so nothing really to be concerned about.

Where Geoff has indicated, on the flats just by the bluff over the river is where the best observation setup area is located. There is a causeway over the river at the south eastern end of the flats.

Water in the river can be used for showers and washing up but not for drinking, you need to bring your drinking water with you. There is a toilet (drop type) shown on Geoff's aerial photo, and rubbish bins around the place.

It's a fairly easy scenic two hours from the central coast (just past Gloucester) on the Thunderbolt Way. It's probably three hours from Sydney.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:52 PM
Shano592 (Shane)

Thanks Geoff and Glen. I recall the spot.

I saw people up that end. One poor lady came out of her caravan and went nose to nose with a herd of cattle ( I think they were looking in through her window). I heard her shriek from the other end, then just watched her try to shoo them away for the next few minutes.

Such fun!

With a bit of luck, I may be able to stretch the Pajero's legs that far, later this month.

Last edited by Shano592; 10-03-2014 at 02:19 PM.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:16 PM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

It is a huge free camping area, but they tell me it can be popular during school holidays and long weekends, in the warmer months.

When we go, we try to avoid these times, and there are generally less than a handful of other campers (who tend to be in bed before 10).

And yes, take a shovel, as the local "manure distributors" regularly graze that "field of view".
Old 14-03-2014, 05:07 AM
glend (Glen)

Two weeks till next Bretti New Moon trip

Just a reminder that it is two weeks till the next New Moon dark site camp at Bretti Reserve near Gloucester. All are welcome and as its cooling off now it should be a comfortable few days.

Last edited by glend; 15-03-2014 at 09:13 AM.
Old 14-03-2014, 06:56 AM
Shano592 (Shane)

It was nice up that region yesterday. We went for spin out to Taree, and then through Gloucester and back home.

Everything is now so green, compared to a month ago. A lot of the small streams have a fair bit of water in them.

It should be excellent up at Bretti.
Old 14-03-2014, 03:57 PM
Inmykombi (Geoff)
They aint just doubles :o

Thx Shano,
Here's hoping I can get away next New Moon.
If not, it'll have to be in April.
BTW, I got the wi-fi thingy for the MEADE. It works a treat.

geoffro
Old 14-03-2014, 05:01 PM
Shano592 (Shane)

Cool! They work too well for the price, not to do the upgrade, huh?
Old 14-03-2014, 08:11 PM
Inmykombi (Geoff)
They aint just doubles :o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shano592 View Post
Cool! They work too well for the price, not to do the upgrade, huh?
You bet. It works well, and easy to set up.
I must get it under a dark sky and test it out.
See ya later Shane.
Geoffro.
Old 15-03-2014, 09:20 AM
glend (Glen)

Everyone Welcome at Bretti

It's just two weeks till the next New Moon dark site get together at Bretti Reserve near Gloucester. All are welcome and as its cooling off now it should be a comfortable few days. Camping and van parking is free at Bretti, and there are drop toilets but bring any drinking water you require. Dogs are allowed. If you need power for your rig bring your battery or generator.

Bretti Reserve facility and location details here:

http://www.findacamp.com.au/camp-site.php?camp=605

This is a re-post to keep this invite near the top of the thread, and above the conversational posts.
Old 19-03-2014, 11:32 PM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
For those in the Sydney, Central Coast, Newcastle area, the upcoming New Moon trip to the Bretti Dark Site is an excellent opportunity to get your scope out to a true dark location and see what it can do.

Everyone is welcome (even dogs) at the Bretti Reserve free camp location. Anyone wishing to come along, even if just for one night, just let us know here, or you can just show up. I'll probably be onsite from Friday noon (the 28th) onward, maybe the 27th if anyone else wants to go up that early. There is no moon light to contend with during that weekend.

As Leighton Hewitt would say "Come On"!
I am looking a possible to get there on Friday 28th for a few days.
Still a lot needs to happen before then, to allow it, but I have tacit approval.
The elephant in the room is the long range weather forecasts that look discouraging.
But here's hoping

I believe its about time we got some good weather for observing...
... how come Full Moon is always cloud free and clear?
Old 20-03-2014, 09:27 AM
glend (Glen)

That's great news Allan (L). I have similiar concerns about the weather, but if it closes us out for Friday/Saturday maybe we could consider sliding the dates up there. As the New Moon isn't actually until Monday the 31st, and what moon there would be doesn't appear in darkness until after the 2nd, it is feasible to slide the dates a few days - say Sunday through Tuesday. I realise that's not an option for some people. Waiting to hear from Newcastle Alan. Anyway let's keep our weather fingers crossed for the entire weekend period.

PS I noticed Houghy's post on the new intersection lighting installed near his house, that is going to impact his imaging for sure, and I have invited him to come along to Bretti.

Last edited by glend; 20-03-2014 at 10:07 AM.
Old 20-03-2014, 02:14 PM
Allan

Yes still definitely heading to Bretti. But as I originally said, I didn't want to put a firm day on it. I don't want to head there and get clouded out again like at Chaffey. I was originally leaning toward the weekend weather permitting so others could join in. The moon is out of the way enough from next Thursday for me to head up. We will just keep an eye on the weather for now.

I've got 6 weeks off now so I can come and go and observe as I please for a while.