Old 17-10-2007, 06:39 PM
Andrew C

monitors for analog videocam?

Has anyone any experience and suggestions regarding an ideal (relatively portable) monochrome monitor size and model to use outdoors with a Stellacam or similar for DSO observing? I am not sure in this case whether bigger is better, particularly as I would ultimately want everything to be battery powered. Or is laptop with a composite video converter card a better way to go? I am only interested in observing rather than imaging/photography at this stage.

Thanks
Old 17-10-2007, 07:46 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

I use a Swann 5" CCTV monitor with my Gstar-Ex. It's lightweight and has the capability to plug in 2 cameras at a time, switching between the two with the push of a button. It also has AV out. I bought it at DickSmiths for $100 and it comes with a CCTV camera.

You can buy a B&W telly from "The Warehouse" for $30. It has a 5" screen and runs on batteries, cigarette lighter or by regular AC power supply.
Old 18-10-2007, 06:46 PM
Andrew C

Thanks for the tip Jeanette, the Swann looks like a good option. I assume from the sales blurb that the monitor can be powered direct from a 12v battery?

Anyone else out there have a view on the pros and cons of connecting to a monitor vs. connecting to a PC?

Andrew
Old 19-10-2007, 09:05 AM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

If you want to get the best from a live image, then the monitor is it. Good old CRT gives a much better picture than LCD - (especially monochrome), and is much cheaper (Its another example of convenience over function cf vinyl/CD).

Also, imagine dark field, wires everywhere, dew-point reached, damp beginning to penetrate everything. Now think $2000 laptop or $100 monitor!

Having said all that, I use an 5" LCD screen + laptop in myself so I can attach the screen to the scope for finding/focussing and then record the video with the lappy. What was I saying about convenience over function?
Old 19-10-2007, 09:41 PM
Glenhuon (Bill)

I used one of those $30 TV's for a project when I was working. (Monochrome camera sealed inside a pond light for viewing things inside water tanks without having to empty them). The TV worked very well in dim light, would be good in the dark. Not much use in daylight, eg solar observing. They can be powered from internal batteries, car power socket or 240/12v plug pack.
If you only want it for observing, would be a cheap option.

Bill
Old 20-10-2007, 08:48 PM
Andrew C

thanks folks for your tips - one of those two monitor options should do the trick.

Andrew
Old 21-10-2007, 07:38 AM
rogerg (Roger)

I've seen people use portable DVD players that have a video input, and I have seen people use small (15"?) CRT screens.

CRT's are easier to handle in the dark because you can darken them down and they really become black where as LCD's are backlit so veven when black are bright. But a DVD player is much more portable than a small TV.

My 2c worth.
Old 21-10-2007, 08:04 PM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

When I heard about the $30 Warehouse TV, I of course went out and bought one.

And my verdict - Brilliant!

A fantastic image, very sharp and draws hardly any power. And with a built in tv and radio too for when it clouds over. I recommend buying one now regardless of whether or not you plan to use it for your main viewer - it WILL come in handy and it's almost free!!!
Old 22-10-2007, 08:36 AM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

It's a top little telly isn't it.
Glad you like it too.