Old 12-09-2019, 08:19 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

WO SpaceCat

As is well known to many IIS'ers, the purchase of any new equipment will cause the skies to cloud over.

Having decided that a dark-site for an Observatory with my much larger 'scope is not going to happen any time soon, I figured I needed to go small, portable, but not compromise on optical quality.

My trusty Losmandy Starlapse did not even break into a sweat with the pictured new combo...

William Optics (new ver 1.5) SpaceCat 250mm.. with a OSC QHY163C attached. My Taka FSQ106 was heard muttering: "I'll call him mini-me"

Will post some images through the system as soon as the clouds part...
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (SpaceKit.jpg)
141.4 KB215 views
Old 12-09-2019, 08:28 PM
gregbradley

Its a little beauty and I can see it making many an FSQ jealous.

Greg.

Last edited by gregbradley; 13-09-2019 at 03:16 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:38 PM
AnakChan (Sean)

Congrats! I didn't realise the SpaceCat51s were being delivered already. May I please ask :-

1) did you get that from CyclopsOptics?
2) I'm told that they have a M54 0.75 pitched (female?) threads that's compatible to the Takahashi DX-WR Wide T-Mount. Are you able to take any pix of that?
3) Where does M48 filter threads in? Would you be able to share any pix on that too please?

Thanks in advance!
Old 13-09-2019, 09:57 AM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post
Congrats! I didn't realise the SpaceCat51s were being delivered already. May I please ask :-

1) did you get that from CyclopsOptics?
No...they're available from Australian dealers

Quote:

2) I'm told that they have a M54 0.75 pitched (female?) threads that's compatible to the Takahashi DX-WR Wide T-Mount. Are you able to take any pix of that?
Yes, you can easily use a M54 adapter.

Quote:

3) Where does M48 filter threads in? Would you be able to share any pix on that too please?

Thanks in advance!
A wide Baader type M48 T-adapter will screw straight in, I also found the Astro-Physics 2" nosepieces (48mm internal thread) allows easy use of QHY and similar t-thread cameras.

more pictures soon...

Last edited by Peter Ward; 13-09-2019 at 11:02 AM.
Old 13-09-2019, 10:50 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Is the rear scale the rotator and the front scale the focus? It looks very much like a modded DSLR lens
Old 13-09-2019, 11:14 AM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
Is the rear scale the rotator and the front scale the focus? It looks very much like a modded DSLR lens
While WO do have an optional diagonal for it, it's really a 250mm telephoto.

Basically the same Petzval design as the FSQ's but the front element extends and reveals a focus scale, the rear camera rotator has a 1 degree resolution scale and is remarkably smooth and is lockable.
Old 13-09-2019, 11:30 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
While WO do have an optional diagonal for it, it's really a 250mm telephoto.

Basically the same Petzval design as the FSQ's but the front element extends and reveals a focus scale, the rear camera rotator has a 1 degree resolution scale and is remarkably smooth and is lockable.
So focus is achieved through the movement of the front element as opposed to the sensor?
Old 13-09-2019, 11:32 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

WO is selling them direct for about $1200 Aus delivered (I included GST and duty in that) - seems pretty reasonable really. Got a line on a 2nd hand one for less, so probably will grab it (original version, but whatever)
Old 13-09-2019, 12:17 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
WO is selling them direct for about $1200 Aus delivered (I included GST and duty in that) - seems pretty reasonable really. Got a line on a 2nd hand one for less, so probably will grab it (original version, but whatever)
I think your price calculations are a little off....

If you pay with PayPal, you'll get an exchange rate of about $USD 66 cents...so $A1219. But you'll have to pay GST of $121.90 and EFT Customs entry of $45.00 or $AUD 1385.90
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (WOred.jpg)
73.0 KB50 views
Old 13-09-2019, 12:34 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

When I did it the other day with the xe.com exchange plus gst/duty it was just shy of $1300.

2nd/3rd hand I reckon $800ish
Old 13-09-2019, 12:46 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
When I did it the other day with the xe.com exchange plus gst/duty it was just shy of $1300.

2nd/3rd hand I reckon $800ish
Forex never works off the cross rate...what buy rate were xe.com quoting with fees (if any)?

PayPal is not great, but many Credit cards are worse and charge an additional foreign transaction fee.

I think Aussie dealers unfairly get a bad "price" wrap given they have to observe Australia Consumer law with many selling at the same price point..and sometimes cheaper.

If you buy offshore any problems usually come at your expense..
Old 13-09-2019, 01:57 PM
AnakChan (Sean)

I'm pretty sure the tilt adjuster is made by, or if not, at the very least, inspired by K-Astec's tilt adjuster for the original RedCat. I looked that the pics from CyclopsOptics and it's even the same photo from K-Astec's blog.

The thing though is with K-Astec, the tilt adjuster comes in both M54 and M48. However until we get to see Peter's photos for confirmation), I'm told the SilverCat 51 at least is using the M54 version. However I'm not certain how a M48 filter would fit in.

Actually I tend to have the IDAS 52mm filters anyway therefore I'd need some kinda custom adapter to accommodate that.
Old 13-09-2019, 02:40 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Sean, it would not be the first time that K-Astec's designs were blatantly ripped off by WO and Synta, sadly.

I just hope Tomoyoshi-san is given a kick-back or royalty for his brilliant designs
Old 13-09-2019, 03:22 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the tilt adjuster is made by, or if not, at the very least, inspired by K-Astec's tilt adjuster for the original RedCat. I looked that the pics from CyclopsOptics and it's even the same photo from K-Astec's blog.

The thing though is with K-Astec, the tilt adjuster comes in both M54 and M48. However until we get to see Peter's photos for confirmation), I'm told the SilverCat 51 at least is using the M54 version. However I'm not certain how a M48 filter would fit in.

Actually I tend to have the IDAS 52mm filters anyway therefore I'd need some kinda custom adapter to accommodate that.
I got a tilt adapter from Teleskop Services.It screws onto the M48 rear thread. Unfortunately the lens would no longer come to focus.The main difference seems to be they have removed a back piece that rotates and the tilt adapter takes its place with a ring that packs it out to the right length as before. WO have already told me I can buy these accessories in October. So if you get an original model you can get those additional parts.

Cyclops Optics also can sell these extra bits.

I was getting good results without the tilt/tip adjuster but careful pixel peeping showed there was some tilt present so its definitely a good thing to have that ability to adjust for tilt.

Greg.
Old 13-09-2019, 03:27 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Some pictures of the tilt adapter and M54 female thread plus M48 male thread
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (woadapt2.jpg)
105.8 KB100 views
Click for full-size image (woadapt1.jpg)
86.2 KB94 views
Old 13-09-2019, 04:48 PM
AnakChan (Sean)

Lewis I really hope not. You're right he comes up with really brilliant designs. From Peter's photos, they look identical except for the colour.

Peter thank you for the photos. As a comparison, the K-Astec ones look like this (taken from http://k-astec.cocolog-nifty.com/mai...st-074040.html). The top with the RC51 attached is the M54 with Takahashi DX-WR attached. Whilst on the right, is with an M48 filter attached. I guess the SpaceCat51 would be the same :-

http://k-astec.cocolog-nifty.com/pho...d/b1905201.jpg

The black ring OTOH, maybe it's a WO original, cos the way K-Astec supports the WO original Nikon/Canon ring is with a M48 male thread :-

http://k-astec.cocolog-nifty.com/pho...ed/b190602.jpg

Last edited by AnakChan; 13-09-2019 at 05:01 PM.
Old 13-09-2019, 05:23 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

The black adapter ring is made by WO and comes with the RedCat/Spacecat.

Male M54 T-adapters can screw directly into the tilt stage saving you some back-focus.

The support ring has been redesigned and it has a longer multi-profile doveplate.
Old 03-03-2020, 09:06 PM
h0ughy (David)

Just a question Peter, I just bought a redcat51 when attaching say a asi071 to the back what spacing would be needed?
Old 03-03-2020, 10:02 PM
gregbradley

Congrats! A good choice.

Its a Petsval so the spacing is already set and you simply bring it to focus.
Like an FSQ.

But you can have adapters that add too much length and it won't come to focus. I originally got a tilit/tip adapter from Teleskop Services but it took up too much room and I couldn't achieve focus. Close but not there.

Greg.
Old 03-03-2020, 10:18 PM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Congrats! A good choice.

Its a Petsval so the spacing is already set and you simply bring it to focus.
Like an FSQ.

But you can have adapters that add too much length and it won't come to focus. I originally got a tilit/tip adapter from Teleskop Services but it took up too much room and I couldn't achieve focus. Close but not there.

Greg.
Never had any experience with a fsq, so I just screw the as071 directly to the current connection adapter with no nosepiece? Mine is the current version with the built in tilt adjustment n