Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 23-09-2020, 07:48 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

2 phone scammers in one day

Haven't had any for a LONG time, but I think they figured out (d'uh) that many people are at home now. I had my first full day off since July today.

I answered the first one - landline (I know, right?) at about 12:45. Long silent pause, then a pre-recorded message spiel by a British accented lady. She told me our internet was going to be cut off in 4 hours as our "rooter" (not "rowter" as most pronounce it, though I suppose in British english rooter is proper) was faulty, and to press 1 to talk to a representative. For giggles, I pressed 1 and yes, Sahib Vaddakedathu answered (OK, that is a real Canberra politician, but he is such a numpty I am using his name)...oh man, he could barely read his pitch. I just hung up.

Second one came in at 1430 as I waited to pick up the kids from school. It looked like a Sydney number (bought one no doubt), so I answered it. Sahib again, but this time he said he was Brian Jones () from RTA. I said who and what...I could barely hear him over the cacophony of the other scammers in the same room all yelling fractured Inglish (yes, Inglish...get it?). He said Brian Jones from the Road Traffic Authority and that he was calling in regards to the car crash I had recently - "Do you remember it?". I said, "Oh, the one where I accidentally killed a man?"...silence..."Hello?" says I...silence...then he hung up

I think I'll keep answering them.
Old 23-09-2020, 08:06 PM
RB (Andrew)

It's karma for impersonating a customs officer ....

Old 23-09-2020, 08:07 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

You are just sour because I sent you a GST bill.

Oh, you haven't got it yet? It may arrive with the tax readjustment after I told my mate at the ATO what you grow on the side on the "chicken" farm
Old 23-09-2020, 08:10 PM
RB (Andrew)

Θα σου κάνω σουβλάκι ξανά

Old 23-09-2020, 08:12 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Old 23-09-2020, 08:13 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB View Post

Old 23-09-2020, 08:18 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb View Post

Σουβλάκι κοτόπουλου και κάνναβης;
Old 23-09-2020, 09:04 PM
iborg (Philip)

sounds tasty!
Old 24-09-2020, 07:10 AM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Σουβλάκι κοτόπουλου και κάνναβης;
Yeah, we're a tuff breed up here.

Old 24-09-2020, 07:20 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

You've got more time and patience than me Lewis. I usually hang up with 2 or 3s mid sentence.
Anyone gets those recorded robotic female voice about disconnecting your NBN? I get these at least twice a day.
Old 24-09-2020, 08:49 AM
julianh72 (Julian)

Δεν νομίζω ότι καταλαβαίνω όλες αυτές τις αναφορές κεμπάπ!
Old 24-09-2020, 09:14 AM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianh72 View Post
Δεν νομίζω ότι καταλαβαίνω όλες αυτές τις αναφορές κεμπάπ!
η άγνοια είναι ευτυχία Julian.

Old 24-09-2020, 10:42 AM
Sconesbie (Scott)

Two calls for me last night:

Call 1: “Jack” from Telstra. He told me I have an infection in my internet. I said “ah I see” and I started to chuckle. He said “what’s ha ha ha”? Jack was starting to get grumpy I think. “Excuse me, you have an infection in your internet”. “Get your computer”. “Start your computer”. No please or thank you. This bloke was serious. Jack was getting irritated. I asked him to hold on “while I get it”. I said “I’ll just need to get the keys to start it”. Jack didn’t get my sense of humour, called me a ******* and hung up. Please call back as I need to fix this infection.

Call 2: Must have been Jack’s colleague as he was from Telstra too. I asked him if he knew Jack. I couldn’t catch his name though. Funny thing, this bloke couldn’t tell me who the Telstra CEO is. He asked me if I was a bit of a joker as I was laughing and "being silly". How did he know? Anyway, I had him wound up for about 10 minutes. He too called me a ******* but used the F word before it. Then he started asking me questions about my daughter (who was laughing loudly). I ended up calling him a bad name with an expletive involved and hung up.
Old 24-09-2020, 01:11 PM
blindman (human)
Now I see !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sconesbie View Post
Two calls for me last night:

Call 1: “Jack” from Telstra. He told me I have an infection in my internet. I said “ah I see” and I started to chuckle. He said “what’s ha ha ha”? Jack was starting to get grumpy I think. “Excuse me, you have an infection in your internet”. “Get your computer”. “Start your computer”. No please or thank you. This bloke was serious. Jack was getting irritated. I asked him to hold on “while I get it”. I said “I’ll just need to get the keys to start it”. Jack didn’t get my sense of humour, called me a ******* and hung up. Please call back as I need to fix this infection.

Call 2: Must have been Jack’s colleague as he was from Telstra too. I asked him if he knew Jack. I couldn’t catch his name though. Funny thing, this bloke couldn’t tell me who the Telstra CEO is. He asked me if I was a bit of a joker as I was laughing and "being silly". How did he know? Anyway, I had him wound up for about 10 minutes. He too called me a ******* but used the F word before it. Then he started asking me questions about my daughter (who was laughing loudly). I ended up calling him a bad name with an expletive involved and hung up.
Good one!
Old 25-09-2020, 08:31 AM
doug mc

It doesn't end there
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Capture+_2020-09-22-15-00-46(1).png)
56.2 KB46 views