Old 28-01-2014, 09:11 PM
EricB (Eric)
Waiting for good seeing!

Adapter question

Hi all,

I recently purchased a ZWO filter wheel for RGB planetary imaging. I was always worried that I might not be able to reach focus with my current imaging set up which is ASI120MM + Televue x2.5 Powermate + filter wheel on a Sky Watcher 10" reflector.

Well, as I thought, I couldn't reach focus at first. I needed another inch of inward focus. So after scratching my head for a couple of hours and surf the web for solutions (such as moving the primary up the OTA), it dawn on me that if I got rid of the 1.25 eyepiece adaptor on the focuser, I actually gained about an inch. All I had to to was to unscrew the filter wheel nozzle and connect the filter wheel straight onto the focuser tube adaptor (see pictures).

It all connected well and I was able to reach focus with the filter wheel on, with a centimetre to spare.

End of story? Not quite.

Has it happens, the focuser adapter's threaded section onto which I screwed the wheel (sorry for my appalling lack of technical knowledge ) is too wide (it's the section next to my fingers on picture 3). When I screw it nice and tight, the threaded part goes too far into the filter wheel casing and pushes against the filters, preventing them from rotating normally. To put it simply, although it connects well, the threaded part is too wide. In order for the filters to rotate freely, I have to not screw the adaptor tightly, but then there is some play between the focuser and the filter wheel, making the imaging train unstable.

Do you know the exact name what I call the fosuser adaptor? Could I find one with a narrower threader section?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Eric
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Adaptor on focuser.jpg)
34.3 KB9 views
Click for full-size image (Adaptor and 1 25 adapter.jpg)
30.1 KB8 views
Click for full-size image (Adaptor.jpg)
65.4 KB8 views
Click for full-size image (Adaptor on filterwheel.jpg)
16.8 KB9 views
Old 29-01-2014, 06:55 AM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Hi Eric

If I understand this correctly, you could try to find a thin spacer ring/washer that fits over the screw thread which them limits the amount of thread proud of the spacer ring/washer. Of course the adapter would be pushed back by the thickness of the thin spacer ring/washer.

Here are some examples from Scope Stuff in the USA. There are several in their stock list - search on "Spacer".

http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_scts.htm

http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_ttsr.htm

Cheers

Dennis
Old 29-01-2014, 07:02 AM
Larryp (Laurie)

Spacer rings are also available from Edmond Scientific-they have a huge range
Old 29-01-2014, 07:23 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

You can get 1mm wide T thread Locking rings from Baader - Telescope Express stock them...
Old 29-01-2014, 06:16 PM
EricB (Eric)
Waiting for good seeing!

Thank you very much Ken, Laurie and Dennis. I will investigate the suggested options.

Cheers,

Eric