Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2014, 01:13 PM
Nebulator2570 (Gabriel)

Latitude Settings

Hi all,

Im not to certain, but i think im right, But can anyone tell me what it the latitude setting i need for my star adventurer i have aquired in the blue mountains area, or any area like illford or linden..

I thought it was 33.1 degrees, but im still getting star trailing.. I have left the settings that were on original which is about 30 degrees, but im not certain anymore.. I havent had a german equatorial in a while..

any help would be great.. I guess im getting old and my mind is going

thanks
Old 11-11-2014, 01:40 PM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebulator2570 View Post
Hi all,

Im not to certain, but i think im right, But can anyone tell me what it the latitude setting i need for my star adventurer i have aquired in the blue mountains area, or any area like illford or linden..

I thought it was 33.1 degrees, but im still getting star trailing.. I have left the settings that were on original which is about 30 degrees, but im not certain anymore.. I havent had a german equatorial in a while..

any help would be great.. I guess im getting old and my mind is going

thanks
Hi Gabriel,
I find this site vary helpful for Longitude and Latitude.
A variety of formats available and can be used to determine L&L or identify a given set of coordinates.

http://www.itouchmap.com/latlong.html

For example a search on Ilford NSW comes back
Latitude -32.963575
Longitude 149.857583
Old 11-11-2014, 02:08 PM
Nebulator2570 (Gabriel)

latitude

Hi Allan

Thanks thats so helpful that link.. Yeah just didnt know how to set the equatorial mount if it was 30 degrees or less.. But i know now thanks

gabriel
Old 11-11-2014, 04:32 PM
mithrandir (Andrew)

Quote:
Thanks thats so helpful that link.. Yeah just didnt know how to set the equatorial mount if it was 30 degrees or less.. But i know now thanks
Just don't trust the scale on the mount to be accurate. You should check it with another device like a digital level.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:47 PM
Nebulator2570 (Gabriel)

latitude

Hi andrew,

Yes understand that, i did buy an inclometre from bunnings, and i have also one on my phone too. Just didnt know what the latitude setting for say linden o wentworth falls where i am plus if i go to illford and so..

thanks again..

gabriel
Old 11-11-2014, 11:57 PM
mithrandir (Andrew)

Quote:
Just didnt know what the latitude setting for say linden o wentworth falls where i am plus if i go to illford and so..
Gabriel, you can look up the location of any Australian location with an official place name at http://www.ga.gov.au/map/names/

It won't be as good as you'd get from a GPS but will get you in the ball park.

Speaking of GPS, you could get a USB connected GPS for as little as $US20.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:04 PM
Nebulator2570 (Gabriel)

latitude

hi mithrandir,

Awesome thanks for the link aswell.. where abouts can you get a usb gps from have you a link for that too please..

Ebay was one place i was thinking but dont know

thanks again

gabriel
Old 12-11-2014, 02:25 PM
SteveInNZ

You can get the exact lattitude of your house by finding it in Google Maps. Click the link button and copy the highlighted text. Paste it somewhere and pick out the appropriate looking text.
eg. -32.963236,149.857636
Use these numbers to launch your ICBM at the Ilford Roadhouse with the white car in the carport.
It's also useful to find a landmark directly north or south of you so you can get in the ballpark.
Google Earth is even easier if you have that loaded. The Lat/Long are at the bottom of the screen and the ruler tool is easier for finding something to line up on.

Steve.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:08 PM
mithrandir (Andrew)

Quote:
Awesome thanks for the link aswell.. where abouts can you get a usb gps from have you a link for that too please..

Ebay was one place i was thinking but dont know
Try ebay for "Globalsat ND-105C GPS USB" or "GlobalSat BU-353 S4 USB GPS"

The price has gone up from the model ND-100S which I have but still far cheaper than Garmin (and I have two of those too).
Old 13-11-2014, 08:45 AM
speach (Simon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrandir View Post
Just don't trust the scale on the mount to be accurate. You should check it with another device like a digital level.
The scale on my NEQpro is so far out the according to it I'm at 50 deg not 38 deg so forget that scale. Use a digital protractor or even a level and a school protractor, that would be more accurate.
Old 13-11-2014, 09:18 AM
julianh72 (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speach View Post
The scale on my NEQpro is so far out the according to it I'm at 50 deg not 38 deg so forget that scale. Use a digital protractor or even a level and a school protractor, that would be more accurate.
Or use your smartphone - set it on top of the OTA, and use an app to point it due south using the compass, and set the inclination to match your latitude.

http://julianh72.blogspot.com.au/201...ning-your.html
Old 13-11-2014, 10:44 AM
mithrandir (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianh72 View Post
Or use your smartphone - set it on top of the OTA, and use an app to point it due south using the compass, and set the inclination to match your latitude.

The compass will be affected by any magnetic material within a few metres - like steel telescope tubes or mounts.
Old 13-11-2014, 03:37 PM
speach (Simon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianh72 View Post

My iphone isn't that accurate too hate to be lost and relying on in for north, but the level on it's OK
Old 13-11-2014, 03:42 PM
speach (Simon)

Quote:
The compass will be affected by any magnetic material within a few metres - like steel telescope tubes or mounts.
And if you're using a magnetic compass don't forget the magnetic variation. There is a web site that gives it for your local, search Google "local magnetic variation"
Old 13-11-2014, 04:00 PM
Robert9 (Robert)

There is a free App for latitude and longitude. Do a search. I think its just called Lat & Long.
Once you have your settings, you will still need to do a polar alignment to accurately set the mount if you want to eliminate star-trailing. The scale on the side of the mount is rarely accurate. (Something new to learn.)
Robert
Old 13-11-2014, 04:32 PM
julianh72 (Julian)

Quote:
I think a small amount of steel typically needs to be within 100 mm or less before it causes much of an issue on most smartphones. (Don't forget - most people are quite happy to use their smartphone for navigation, and that's with the phone sitting inside a tonne and a half of steel!)

Mine works just fine on both of my telescopes - the tripods have aluminium legs, and both of the OTAs have aluminium tubes. There is a bit of steel in the mounts, but not enough to cause a significant problem when my phone is mounted on the OTA, and I can get a polar alignment to better than 1 degree accuracy in less than a minute using this technique. YMMV

Don't forget that there's than an Android App called SkEye which allows you to use your smartphone as a Push-To controller, and lots of people report good results with it (including me!)
Old 14-11-2014, 10:34 AM
Nebulator2570 (Gabriel)

latitude

all

Thank everyone that has commented on here and have given some great advice, I saw this youtube of a guy in the USA doing polar alignment very easily with a program call "GPS STATUS" (mind you tho his doing it for the North star) uses a aluminium piece of flat sheet, (dont know how you call it) but i think it can be done with the southern star( polaris)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7LmDWFBkA8

this was informative and very helpful but i havent tried it.. Was going to test his theory and see if it does work for the southern hemisphere. People might say that it might not work because of differences, but you never know unless you try.. Tho its only a beginning for polar alignment, he does specify that if you do astro there is more steps to process, but that can be achieved.

Thanks again to all for advice and links much appreciated..

gabriel.