Old 08-11-2014, 05:21 PM
robisintas

Use of Laser Pointers

Well, just a week or so ago I ordered a laser pointer (5mw). I just watched an episode of Catalyst which informed me that anything over 1mw is illegal in Australia. I'm a little confused. I found Tasmanian police information sheet that generally suggests that it is ok to use a laser pointer for legitimate reasons. No mention of power limitations. Anyone have any advice? I take it a 1mw laser pointer is of little use for astronomical purposes? Just how much power does one require for sighting?
Old 08-11-2014, 05:32 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

The laser pointer laws vary from state to state.
In Victoria hand laser pointers >1mW are treated as prohibited weapons and require a Police Licence ($68)
Other states vary....
Old 08-11-2014, 06:01 PM
Terry B
Country living & viewing

I had a 5 mw pointer and found it not very usefull. I recently bought 2 of the cheap 1 mw lasers off eBay mentioned on another thread. Both were brighter than my old 5 mw version. I think that there isn't great quality control with these devices. Just buy a 1 mw version and see how you go. Mine were $12 each so not a big outlay.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:04 PM
robisintas

Actually, on Catalyst a guy had done tests on a number of 1mw pointers purchased from various online sites (mostly ebay I think) which showed that hardly any of them were accurate power ratings. Some were even as high as 100mw. Pig in a poke I guess.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:13 PM
doppler (Rick)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robisintas View Post
Well, just a week or so ago I ordered a laser pointer (5mw). I just watched an episode of Catalyst which informed me that anything over 1mw is illegal in Australia. I'm a little confused. I found Tasmanian police information sheet that generally suggests that it is ok to use a laser pointer for legitimate reasons. No mention of power limitations. Anyone have any advice? I take it a 1mw laser pointer is of little use for astronomical purposes? Just how much power does one require for sighting?
Customs are very good at finding these things, I got a post pack with just the batteries in it and a letter from customs stating that this (the laser pointer) was a restricted import, they had my details and that I should not attempt this again.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:28 PM
Redshift13 (Rohan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robisintas View Post
I take it a 1mw laser pointer is of little use for astronomical purposes?
Depends what you're going to do with it, but I find my 1mw pointer is perfectly adequate for my astronomical needs (mostly pointing out stars and constellations, etc. at public viewing nights).
Old 08-11-2014, 10:22 PM
mithrandir (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshift13 View Post
Depends what you're going to do with it, but I find my 1mw pointer is perfectly adequate for my astronomical needs (mostly pointing out stars and constellations, etc. at public viewing nights).
How useful a 1mW laser is depends on the light pollution. Around here they are next to useless. It takes about 10mW to provide a line visible to anyone more than arm's length from the person holding it, and either a permit or membership of an approved organisation like ASNSW.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:37 PM
Renato1 (Renato)

Check my old thread on 1 mW laser pointers from Ebay.

Buy a few of them, and take screen shots of the ad.

Several of the purchased laser pointers will do the job you want (providing it isn't cold). If queried by authorities, produce a copy of the ad and the Ebay receipts for the 1mW laser pointers that you purchased, and assert that according to Ebay they are legal items.

Regards,
Renato
Old 09-11-2014, 09:21 AM
CJ (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshift13 View Post
Me too. I also put it against the focuser and use it as a finder. Works well.
Old 10-11-2014, 05:31 PM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppler View Post
Customs are very good at finding these things, I got a post pack with just the batteries in it and a letter from customs stating that this (the laser pointer) was a restricted import, they had my details and that I should not attempt this again.
Yes indeed, they're very strict. (See YouTube clip below).
It is a big risk and as you know you do need a permit and/or be a member of an Astronomical Society.

Andrew
Old 10-11-2014, 06:28 PM
killswitch (Edison)

Ive bought one of those 1mw lasers from eBay. The output on them is unpredictable. You need to warm it up in your pocket to get it going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrandir View Post
How useful a 1mW laser is depends on the light pollution. Around here they are next to useless. It takes about 10mW to provide a line visible to anyone more than arm's length from the person holding it, and either a permit or membership of an approved organisation like ASNSW.
Yes and it also depends on the transparency. The beam you see is actually a reflection from the dust particles and moisture in the air. In foggy nights, its like jedi wars.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:06 AM
robisintas

Just watching a thing on Youtube. Guy doing tests on 1mW ebay lasers. Green came in at over 70mW! Man, there are some serious psychos with lasers on Youtube. I can see why they were made illegal.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:38 AM
RB (Andrew)

Yes and people need to be aware of the cheap Chinese Green Laser pointers that seem good, look harmless, priced cheap but have a hidden danger.
Some are shipped without an IR filter which leads to dangerously high levels of IR emission.

Everyone please be aware that higher powered lasers are very dangerous and can cause eye damage without you even feeling any pain.
Eye protection is essential when using such lasers.

See this Youtube clip.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:45 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

I agree with Andrew that all lasers are dangerous to eyes. But only if pointed directly into eyes. Same with the IR from the cheap lasers noted in the video. As an astro pointer, what we are looking for is the beam that is produced by green lasers, this is the main distinction between what we consider the use of these pointers as opposed to just the bright dot that is being considered in the video. Two very different applications. But this does not detract from the dangers of direct illumination onto skin and eyes.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:56 AM
glend (Glen)

Lasers have no place in astro group situations where people are imaging. It just takes a brief pan of a laser beam to ruin a long exposure. They are also dangerous for visual observers in groups when used carelessly - I've had one hit my secondary on my big dob when the guy holding it was lowering it from pointing at something and had not released the button before he brought it down. The flash of green light reflected to my eyepiece ruined my nightvision in that eye for twenty minutes. So there is no place for them in groups.