Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Mobile Astronomy Apps

Old 14-12-2014, 09:35 AM
julianh72 (Julian)

Warning: Don't update SkySafari to 4.3 on Nexus 7 2013

I received an update to SkySafari 4.3 Plus on my Nexus 7 2013 tablet and Nexus 4 phone yesterday, and it has completely broken the app on my tablet. I have been in touch with Bill Schumy of Southern Skies, and he claims it is a bug in the Nexus 7, rather than a bug with the SkySafari code - something to do with obb files, whatever they are. Sounds pretty bogus to me, as the Nexus 7 2013 is a Google reference device, and it seems odd that the bug would only come to light now, and with this one particular update of one app, but he is adamant that it is the case.

Discussion on the Southern Skies Yahoo page:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...s/topics/10904

Anyway, I now no longer have a working copy of SkySafari on my tablet, although it still works fine on my Nexus 4 phone.

I don't know if the problem will reveal itself on any other devices - proceed at your own risk!
Old 14-12-2014, 10:26 AM
mithrandir (Andrew)

Julian, I'll quote one of Bill's replies. He is apparently not alone in saying Android has a bug on the 2013 Nexus 7. Just because a device is a "reference platform" does not mean it is perfect.

Quote:
No, this is clearly an Android bug. If you want I can refer you to the technical forums that discuss it. The Nexus may be their "reference" platform, but they screwed up with this. It is only the 2013 Nexus 7 that has the problem. Apparently it has something to do with how the file system is formatted on that device.

I have spent weeks and weeks trying to resolve the issue on this device. There is really nothing more I can do. It is not a Lollipop issue but has been with us since the first SkySafari 4 release.

Depending upon what exactly is in the .obb data file the bug may or may not be manifest. Apparently the latest .obb brings out the issue again.
He also said in another post:
Quote:
I have just excluded the 2013 Nexus 7 from the list of supported devices for this 4.3 release. After this change propagates on Google's servers, you should be able to delete the app and re-download version 4.2.3. This will not cause you to lose your settings or observing lists.
Old 14-12-2014, 12:17 PM
julianh72 (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrandir View Post
Julian, I'll quote one of Bill's replies. He is apparently not alone in saying Android has a bug on the 2013 Nexus 7. Just because a device is a "reference platform" does not mean it is perfect. SkySafari 4 on the Nexus 7 2013 seems to be just about the only mainstream app / device that exhibits the problem.

He also said in another post:
I've tried to track down the issue on the Google support forums - it seems to be a pretty obscure "fault", and he is the most prolific contributor. I suspect he is using some pretty outdated developer techniques. He said this problem has been around for a while, but I have only experienced it with this latest parch of SkySafari 4.3; I never had an issue with 4.2.x running under several versions of stock Android 4.x, 5.0 and 5.0.1.

For what it's worth, I followed his advice, uninstalled and reinstalled, but it's still broken. I can't tell whether it installed 4.2.x or 4.3.

Last edited by julianh72; 14-12-2014 at 12:36 PM.
Old 14-12-2014, 01:51 PM
MrB (Simon)
Old Man Yells at Cloud

No problem on my device.
Yet
Old 14-12-2014, 05:44 PM
mithrandir (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrB View Post
No problem on my device.
Yet
Simon it only happens on the 2013 Nexus 7 - not on other Android devices - and not on all SkySafari 4 versions.
Old 14-12-2014, 08:24 PM
julianh72 (Julian)

Strange - it's working fine now. No idea whether it will stay fixed or not, it looks like an unpredictable bug.

It turns out that after uninstalling and reinstalling, it reinstalled 4.3 again, even though the developer said they changed settings to stop 4.3 installing onto a Nexus 7 2013.
Old 17-12-2014, 03:35 PM
MrB (Simon)
Old Man Yells at Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrandir View Post
Simon it only happens on the 2013 Nexus 7 - not on other Android devices - and not on all SkySafari 4 versions.
Yes, I know, hence my reply.
If I was not using a 2013 Nexus 7 and SF4.3, I would not have replied as it would not be relevant.
But I am, so I did.