Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2020, 03:53 PM
faulteh (Scott)
Oooo Ti Di!

Selling equipment in Tasmania

Hi everyone,

I used to be active in Astronomy 5+ years ago, but since I moved to Tasmania and have a regular full time job, I have not had much time or use for some of my equipment so would much rather see it being passed to someone who will use it rather than going unused.

The market in Tasmania is really small, and being an island it is difficult to have potential buyers view the equipment etc. Do any equipment retailers in Melbourne or Sydney sell used equipment on consignment?

Initially looking to sell my Daystar SolaRedi, but generally looking for advice.

Cheers
SB
Old 10-01-2020, 05:35 PM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)
I can see clearly now ...

I do not know of any places that will sell on consignment, so cannot help with your specific enquiry.
The dilemma you allude to may be more imaginary than real. After all, the same issue is faced by anyone outside of the major capital cities and there are plenty of IIS members in that situation who have sold a lot of equipment here over the years.
I too, have sold a lot of equipment here over the years and not found Bass Strait too much of a hinderance. No large scopes, though such as your 12” dob. However, I do know another ISS member in Hobart who recently sold a complete Meade LX90 8” system to a buyer in Melb.
Obviously one needs to price accordingly knowing there will be a cost impost getting the item across Bass Strait. Depends how keen you are to sell.
There is an active astronomy community in Tas, so you may get lucky and sell locally.
Old 10-01-2020, 07:40 PM
Wavytone

I'll suggest advertise here on IIS - you'll get far more eyes looking - and serious ones - than anywhere else. Even in Tas.