Old 27-08-2013, 05:17 PM
Lee
Colour is over-rated

Lodestar on-camera or GPUSB

I'm about to give my new lodestar a test drive tonight....
Previously I've used a SBS guide scope/DSI II and a GPUSB to guide the G-11. I was thinking I'll just drop in the lodestar, and keep using the GPUSB via PHD.
Is there a particular advantage to using the onboard guide-port of the lodestar vs the GPUSB?? Both would be through PHD....

(I may be ahead of myself here... I still need to get the thing focused through an OAG!)
Old 27-08-2013, 05:32 PM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

Assuming you're controlling your G-11 via ASCOM, you could do the guiding via that, or the guider output of the Lodestar, or continue using the GPUSB. The GPUSB will occupy another USB port and be another box to setup. I prefer one less cable, so only have the USB going to the lodestar and guide via ASCOM to the mount directly.

In you want to use the autoguider port on your mount, the signal can either go via the USB back to the camera and then down to the mount, or via the GPUSB box. I'm not aware of any technical reasons why one might be better than another.

DT
Old 27-08-2013, 06:46 PM
Lee
Colour is over-rated

I quite like the GPUSB, as it doesn't add a cable to the OTA-to-pier umbilicus that is growing in girth... I'm happy to keep using it unless the lodestar port has advantages....
Old 28-08-2013, 07:15 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

I always use the GPUSB as my gemini's too old but I think the preferred method is lodestar port to ST4 input. More direct and faster.
Old 28-08-2013, 08:25 AM
Lee
Colour is over-rated

My Gemini is the same as yours? Can the Gemini 1.4 not use the lodestar output directly??
Old 28-08-2013, 09:21 AM
JohnH
Member # 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
I always use the GPUSB as my gemini's too old but I think the preferred method is lodestar port to ST4 input. More direct and faster.
I used a QHY5/PHD with my Gemini 1 and connected the QHY5 ST4 port directly to the autoguide port (careful, use the right cable!). I also use this direct connection method with my ST2000 but I have also used a GPUSB with other guide cameras (Opticstar 145m) and also driven the mount via ASCOM (Serial).

In theory I think the direct connection is best - it should have the least lag time. In practice though I have seen no difference - all these methods work. The ASCOM/.Net method enables pulse guiding (called high precision in the Gemini.Net driver) and should be very fast on the Ethernet port of a Gemini 2 if that is what you have then that may be the best way to go.