Old 03-09-2016, 01:52 PM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Qhy owners in Brisbane

Hi,

Is there anyone on the Northside of Brisbsne with one of these I can use for a quick test with my QZhY 12 as fan and cooling of my camera have stopped working. I can buy a new DC201 but it would be good to know that is the problem. I can easily bring the camera over to you for a 10 min test.

Chris
Old 03-09-2016, 11:27 PM
billdan (Bill)

Chris,

I'm at Narangba and own a QHY12, if you want to test your camera. Just send me a PM to make a time, I'm retired so I will be home every day.
Or you can call me on 0417 076 644.

Regards

Bill
Old 04-09-2016, 01:34 PM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Thanks Bill,

As a matter of fact my DC201 unit is completely dead so I have ordered another and there was no real need to test therefore. Thanks for the offer though. How do you find the QHY 12? Personally I love it.
Old 04-09-2016, 02:08 PM
billdan (Bill)

Hi Chris,

So sorry that the DC201 failed, I hope the replacement doesn't set you back to much.

I also love the QHY12, its simple to use and produces great images.

I have been toying with the idea of sending it to Hong Kong and getting the bayer layer removed and converted to Mono. Its very risky though as these guys don't give any guarantees.

At this stage I am waiting to see if a CMOS APS-C sized mono camera is going to hit the market. An ASI-1600 style camera with a larger chip would be awesome.

Cheers
Bill
Old 05-09-2016, 05:22 AM
OneCosmos (Chris)

I regularly consider going mono but with the CLS filter images even from Nundah are possible. I think though if my camera needed to be replaced I'd then buy mono.

Actually the dc201 is $145 and Thro said fixing the cameras is very cheap typically if required. Shipping would be the most expensive part unless the sensor was broken I guess, but that isn't likely. Nothing electronic can last forever though.

Chris
Old 05-09-2016, 11:35 AM
billdan (Bill)

Gooday Chris,

Theo's correct, I had to send the QHY12 back to China last year because the USB port was not working. QHY replaced the main board which was all corroded apparently. The new main board was $90 with labour, and air freight both ways was $60 each ( via Aust Post). Turn around time was 3 weeks.

So pretty good service at a good price, I always shudder when I see the prices SBIG have been charging some of our members for repairs.

Cheers
Bill
Old 05-09-2016, 11:59 AM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Years ago I owned an SBIG ST 2000xm and the filter didn't work at all -wouldn't rotate but SBIG arranged and paid for the collection to fix. When it arrived back it worked too well in as much as now the filter wouldn't stop rotating! Off it went again at their effort and expense

I was left thinking 10 out of 10 for customer service but 2 out of 10 for quality control. Oh, and the chip was dirty too and they said I must have opened it and exposed in it I know I didn't which meSns that's how it left their workshop.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:06 PM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdan View Post
Gooday Chris,

Theo's correct, I had to send the QHY12 back to China last year because the USB port was not working.......
Bill
That's good to know because my USB port on the camera feels like eventually it is going to not support pushing the cable in without pushing the socket inside the camera! Also I find the USB port a bit loose -sometimes when pointing at the zenith the cable falls out unless stuck in with tape. A bit annoying.